Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? (/showthread.php?tid=8244)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Benito Mussolini - 08-05-2009

Started reading some Howard P. Lovecraft.

That man's awesome.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 08-05-2009

(08-04-2009, 10:43 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: Have you read his other books? I'd go straight to Anathem if I were you.

Personally, Anathem was my least favorite of all his books. 

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - rumsfald - 08-05-2009

I was so underwhelmed by Snow Crash that I didn't bother picking up any more Stephenson books.

Right now, I have put my Chrono Trigger (DS) temporarily aside to start reading Julian Comstock, which captured my eye while perusing boingboing, where Cory's surprisingly not completely prententious snippet lured me into buying the book:

[tt]Julian is the story of a world sunk into feudal barbarism, 150 years after Peak Oil, plagues, economic collapse and war left the planet in tatters. Now, America (grown to encompass most of Canada, save for deeply entrenched Dutch and "mitteleuropean" forces in the now-verdant Labrador) is ruled over by a mad hereditary president, whose power is buoyed up by the Dominion, a religious authority that represents the true power in a nation where the new First Amendment guarantees the right to worship at any sanctioned church of your choosing. http://boingboing.net/2009/06/24/julian-comstock-robe.html[/tt]

So far, about 100 pages in, the treatment of Canada and America and Christianity and Science and Agnosticism and Atheism tempts me to recommend the book to people like Caff, Kor, et al., but I will reserve a full recommendation for when I finish it.

But it does have more narrative going for it than Chrono Trigger (of which I'm past the time egg chapter, for those who care).

EDIT: Neuromancer was in my stack under Comstock, but in front of some Malcom Gladwell book and 1984  (no I've not read any orwell book yet) and some other Pynchon book.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - HeK - 08-05-2009

(08-05-2009, 05:23 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: I was so underwhelmed by Snow Crash that I didn't bother picking up any more Stephenson books.

I really enjoyed Snow Crash, tho that first chapter with the 'Deliverator' and the excessive descriptions of everything nearly ruined it.

I still recommend Gibsons Bridge Trilogy for a dose of cyberpunk.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 08-05-2009

(08-05-2009, 05:48 PM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=rumsfald link=topic=1145.msg104086#msg104086 date=1249511009]
I was so underwhelmed by Snow Crash that I didn't bother picking up any more Stephenson books.

I really enjoyed Snow Crash, tho that first chapter with the 'Deliverator' and the excessive descriptions of everything nearly ruined it.

[/quote]

I second this.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 08-05-2009

(08-05-2009, 05:51 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=HeK link=topic=1145.msg104103#msg104103 date=1249512518]
[quote author=rumsfald link=topic=1145.msg104086#msg104086 date=1249511009]

[/quote]

I second this.
[/quote]I definitely liked the case trilogy to the bridge trilogy, although the main character in the bridge trilogy had a bit more depth.

Parts of Snow Crash were boring, yes. Try reading Diamond Age before you give up on him entirely, though.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 08-07-2009

I just finished reading Little Brother. It's about a 17-year old who's just playing a scavenger hunt game with his friends and the location it leads them to happens to be the site of a terrorist bombing, and he's wrongfully imprisoned by the Department of Homeland security. I thought it was quite a good read and really delves into how paranoid the government is after a terrorist attack. It's also full of geek fanservice, like there's a Parappa the Rapper vodka flask in it that has an LED screen on the side with a rhythm passing by like in the game. It has statements from Neil Gaiman, Tim O'Reilly etc. on the cover telling everyone this book is amazing and everyone should read it if they have an interest in computer security and surveillance.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 08-11-2009

Finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I liked it a lot, it delved a lot more into the psychology and thus the dark side of Dexter the the show. In the show, it's easy to get the wrong idea that he's killing at his leisure, while the book really delves into his need to do so. Thought the ending was a little too Deus Ex Machina though. Also some of the metaphors were a bit absurd XP All trite points though, and I'd highly recommend it. Gonna start the next one today :3

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 08-11-2009

Dexter the show is very Miami, could be the next Miami Vice in how it shows off the city.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - NiceGuy - 08-18-2009

Just finished reading... err, listing to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and I loved it. Kind of reminded me of Harry Potter meets Starship Troopers. Can't wait to experience the rest of the books in the Ender series.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 08-18-2009

(08-18-2009, 01:20 PM)NiceGuy link Wrote: Just finished reading... err, listing to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and I loved it. Kind of reminded me of Harry Potter meets Starship Troopers. Can't wait to experience the rest of the books in the Ender series.
not to spoil your dreams, but don't get your hopes up. I didn't think any of them were as good as Ender's Game, although Ender's Shadow was a pretty good book in its own right.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Duck, Duck, Goose - 08-19-2009

[Image: manlinessalphabet.jpg]

Best book ever.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - copulatingduck - 08-19-2009

(08-19-2009, 07:08 AM)Nitrous Oxide link Wrote: [Image: manlinessalphabet.jpg]

Best book ever.

H is for headbutting women in the crotch iirc?

Good book either way, tho I don't think I ever read it while I was sober on the crapper

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Coppanuva - 08-19-2009

Yeah, Alphabet of Manliness was good. Now I'm reading "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'brien. I was going to read it for school last year, but the teachers decided we had too much other work and cancelled it.

It's interesting though. It's a fiction/non-fiction book (author never specifies if it actually happened to him or not, but it's plausible to have happened and the emotion in the writing is AMAZING) about the Vietnam war soldiers. It jumps around in time as it flows from thoughts and covers events that happened during the war and also when the soldiers get back home and how they cope with life. It's really well written and you get a perfect feeling of how the soldiers actually felt.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 08-19-2009

(08-19-2009, 11:35 AM)Coppanuva link Wrote: Yeah, Alphabet of Manliness was good. Now I'm reading "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'brien. I was going to read it for school last year, but the teachers decided we had too much other work and cancelled it.

It's interesting though. It's a fiction/non-fiction book (author never specifies if it actually happened to him or not, but it's plausible to have happened and the emotion in the writing is AMAZING) about the Vietnam war soldiers. It jumps around in time as it flows from thoughts and covers events that happened during the war and also when the soldiers get back home and how they cope with life. It's really well written and you get a perfect feeling of how the soldiers actually felt.

You should read/tell your teacher to read the comic DMZ. It's what resonated with me the most in understanding what's going on in all of these different peoples' heads with the current conflicts.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - beep beep diglett - 08-19-2009

right now im reading richard scarrys best rainy day book ever, it's really made me think about my life

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Coppanuva - 08-19-2009

(08-19-2009, 11:37 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Coppanuva link=topic=1145.msg107267#msg107267 date=1250699722]
Yeah, Alphabet of Manliness was good. Now I'm reading "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'brien. I was going to read it for school last year, but the teachers decided we had too much other work and cancelled it.

You should read/tell your teacher to read the comic DMZ. It's what resonated with me the most in understanding what's going on in all of these different peoples' heads with the current conflicts.
[/quote]
Ahh thanks for the recommendation (I really like anti-war books and stuff that deals with the conflict after the war, other examples I've enjoyed being Slaughterhouse 5, Catch-22, and A Farewell to Arms). Is that a webcomic series or print comic?

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 08-19-2009

It's a print comic by a guy who I would read everything he writes: Brian Wood. I think it's because he takes his writing very seriously, you should see the reading list he posted on his site in preparation for writing his viking comic.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Totla - 08-22-2009

I'm going to read The Secret Life of Bees and A Little History of the World tomorrow for school. Anyone know if they're any good?

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 09-02-2009

Any one here ever read a Game of Thrones? I'm usually not that into fantasy, but I've heard this is exceptional.