Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? (/showthread.php?tid=8244)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 09-03-2009

(09-02-2009, 10:51 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: Any one here ever read a Game of Thrones? I'm usually not that into fantasy, but I've heard this is exceptional.

READ IT OMG READ IT READ IT READ IT READ IT

And prepare to get your mind blown then raped then blown again. I will say nothing because you need the full effect but this is not just one of the best fantasy series I've ever read but one of the best set of books. And it's more medieval politics and war than fantasy.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Greatbacon - 09-03-2009

Currently reading "Mrs. Bridge" for my lit class.  I'd never heard of it or the author, Evan S. Connell before, but I'm enjoying it quite immensely.  It's structured as sort of a slide show of the life of Mrs. Bridge and her family, focusing on the angst of raising kids and the apparent separation and isolation people feel towards each other.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Professor Funbucks - 09-03-2009

I'm reading a book called Game Boys.
It's a sports writer following multiple competitive counter-strike teams, like 3D, CompLexity, SK Gaming etc and describing, and pretty much writing about competitive gaming, and how its surprisingly interesting.
I love dis book

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - copulatingduck - 09-03-2009

(09-03-2009, 10:13 AM)Professor Funbucks link Wrote: I'm reading a book called Game Boys.
It's a sports writer following multiple competitive counter-strike teams, like 3D, CompLexity, SK Gaming etc and describing, and pretty much writing about competitive gaming, and how its surprisingly interesting.
I love dis book

if you like that, check out frag movie, it's a documentary about the same thing (doesn't follow cs teams though, focuses more on the quake scene)

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 09-27-2009

ok, picked up the new robert langdon book by dan brown, this was pretty hilarious I thought. He's giving a lecture on freemasons and he talks about their rituals and one student says "Sounds like a euphemism for a freaky cult." "Freaky, you say?" "Hell yes!" the kid said, standing up. I heard what they do inside those secret buildings. Weird candlelight rituals with coffins, and nooses, and drinking wine out of skulls. Now that's freaky!"
"Does that sound freaky to anyone else?"
"Yes!" they all chimed in.
Langdon feigned a sad sigh. "Too bad. If that's too freaky for you, then I know you'll never want to join my cult."
"You're in a cult?"
Langdon nodded and lower his voice to a whisper. "Don't tell anyone, but on the pagan day of the Sun God Ra, I kneel at the foot of an ancient instrument of torture and consume ritualistic symbols of blood and flesh."
The class looked horrified.
Langdon shrugged. "And if any of you care to join me, come to the Harvard chapel on Sunday, kneel beneath the crucifix, and take Holy Communion."

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Luinbariel - 09-27-2009

Godamnit, I hate his incessant cliff-hangers.

>Sad

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 09-27-2009

(09-27-2009, 01:15 AM)Luinbariel link Wrote: Godamnit, I hate his incessant cliff-hangers.

>Sad
Each book ends well, and I enjoy them, it's just when you want to put the book down you must know what happens next.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Luinbariel - 09-27-2009

I didn't care too much for his books. I think the stories are alright and they are decently written but they generally made me rage on some level or other.

Otherwise yes, you just had to know what comes next.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 09-29-2009

[Image: flatland_abbott_edwin_3.jpg]

I want to read this book but can't seem to find it in the bookstores.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 09-30-2009

Finally remembered what this awesome book I keep thinking about was called: Jennifer Government. Next time I'm at the book store I plan to pick up as many other Max Barry books they have and see if I can get a copy of Flatland.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - CaffeinePowered - 09-30-2009

(09-29-2009, 03:53 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: Flatlang - image

I want to read this book but can't seem to find it in the bookstores.

http://www.amazon.com/Flatland-Edwin-Abbott/dp/0217475833/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254328619&sr=1-2

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - rumsfald - 09-30-2009

[Image: bigcon.jpg]

From pub weekly (via amazon)
Quote:During the first three decades of the 20th century, a legion of smooth-talking, quick thinking, mostly nonviolent criminals traveled America taking people's money. They grew more skilled as the years passed, devising ruses more intricate than the last, including staging scenes with props and sets, and scripting dialogue. Yet con men shared information only through what might be called oral tradition. Enter a professor of linguistics. Maurer first published this book, long out of print, in 1940, when he could see the dynamics of this kind of crime rapidly changing and the world of the original con man fading. He embraced that world and devoured its schemes, its nuances and its language. The exemplary rip-offs (called "tear-offs" in the '30s) Maurer collected come from con men themselves, and they are retold complete with suggested dialogue of the time. Businessmen traveled on ships and trains for days and stayed in strange cities for weeks at a time waiting for the deal to close, becoming marks (the victims) scooped up by ropers (the scouts who brought victims in). As proof of their talent, con men sought out big game: the entrepreneurial veteran, the crafty wannabe and the successful risk taker. Maurer methodically documents how the three biggest ploys evolved and details the process of cleanly and cleverly removing large amounts of money from a befuddled mark step by step. That level of detail captured in this oral tradition makes his book a valuable resource for readers who want a taste of the reality that inspired such films as The Sting.

I'm only half-way through, but I can already say: Get it, Read it, Love it. I really hope Mr. Grey reads this thread, I think he would find this book to be enriching. I also think Surf would like it, for different reasons.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 09-30-2009

I'll have to add this to my list of 2-3 books I wanna get.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - douchetoevsky - 10-01-2009

I'm currently in the middle of The Brothers Karamazov. Once I'm done with that, I plan on getting The Road and Blindness, as I've been wanting to read both for quite some time now.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - copulatingduck - 10-01-2009

[Image: tumblr_kpgn9cvm5j1qa0pj1o1_400.jpg]

edit: that better?

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-01-2009

broked

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 10-01-2009

Just read Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison and Fury by Salman Rushdie.  Both fantastic books.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Luinbariel - 10-01-2009

(10-01-2009, 09:45 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: Just read Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison and Fury by Salman Rushdie.  Both fantastic books.

I read some of Rushdie's stuff. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have to read it for a Post Modernism course taught by a prof who insisted on making it all about sexual symbols where no one else even saw them.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 10-02-2009

(10-01-2009, 10:02 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=1145.msg116006#msg116006 date=1254451553]
Just read Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison and Fury by Salman Rushdie.  Both fantastic books.

I read some of Rushdie's stuff. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have to read it for a Post Modernism course taught by a prof who insisted on making it all about sexual symbols where no one else even saw them.
[/quote]

Well, there was a ton of sexual stuff in Fury.  Not so much in The Satanic Verses.  I don't really see how any of his books are Post Modernist.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Luinbariel - 10-02-2009

(10-02-2009, 07:24 AM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Luinbariel link=topic=1145.msg116008#msg116008 date=1254452537]
[quote author=Eschatos link=topic=1145.msg116006#msg116006 date=1254451553]

[/quote]

Well, there was a ton of sexual stuff in Fury.  Not so much in The Satanic Verses.  I don't really see how any of his books are Post Modernist.
[/quote]

Sorry I meant Post Colonialism. DURRRR. I just came back from a post modernism class yesterday and was typing up my notes when I made the mistake. :/