Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? (/showthread.php?tid=8244)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 10-07-2009

Man fuck post modernism.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-07-2009

I'm pretty excited about Flatland but I can't get a chance to read it because everytime I crack it open my wife turns on Layton and I don't want to miss anything.

Also I've been absorbing Aesop Rock as if it were a text. Where has the album "Labor" been all my life. I don't want to sound like a little bitch but there is one song on there that almost made me cry.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-08-2009

I'm going to try to make it to the book store today and buy my first ever non-fiction book. I'm strongly considering picking up misquoting jesus while Im at it. Any other good non-fiction books out there I should be aware of?

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - rumsfald - 10-08-2009

(10-08-2009, 01:25 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm going to try to make it to the book store today and buy my first ever non-fiction book. I'm strongly considering picking up misquoting jesus while Im at it. Any other good non-fiction books out there I should be aware of?

Have you been paying attention? No one around here reads nonfiction.

Also off the top of my head...
-John Adams
-The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin
-Lincoln on Leadership
-The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test
-On The Road (semi-autobiographical and semi-biographical)
-Narco Corrido
-Talent is Overrated
-The Cluetrain Manifesto

Also relevant to your interests, in my queue is Moral Panics and the Copyright Wars by Bill Patry. I haven't read it yet, but the reviews that induced me to pick it up were glowing. And, if you don't know who Patry is, then you have no business going into IP law. While you are at it, you might as well pick up Lessig's books (which I haven't read, but his blog and his presentations are usually lucid and humorous).

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Chaosye - 10-08-2009

Reading "The Dumbest Generation" by Mark Bauerlein

I am the dumbest generation :C
And I also feel stoopid

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-08-2009

(10-08-2009, 07:08 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=1145.msg117037#msg117037 date=1255026352]
I'm going to try to make it to the book store today and buy my first ever non-fiction book. I'm strongly considering picking up misquoting jesus while Im at it. Any other good non-fiction books out there I should be aware of?

Have you been paying attention? No one around here reads nonfiction.

Also off the top of my head...
-John Adams
-The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin
-Lincoln on Leadership
-The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test
-On The Road (semi-autobiographical and semi-biographical)
-Narco Corrido
-Talent is Overrated
-The Cluetrain Manifesto

Also relevant to your interests, in my queue is Moral Panics and the Copyright Wars by Bill Patry. I haven't read it yet, but the reviews that induced me to pick it up were glowing. And, if you don't know who Patry is, then you have no business going into IP law. While you are at it, you might as well pick up Lessig's books (which I haven't read, but his blog and his presentations are usually lucid and humorous).
[/quote]

Will do, I keep having to order this shit because Books A Million is shit at having non-bestsellers stocked. So they should be happy with me when I show up to place my 3rd order this week  ;D

Also you made me think about this book I was interested in picking up before:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Future-Radical-Chris-Anderson/dp/1401322905/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255052269&sr=1-1

Since I'm popping my non-fic cherry I might as well go ahead and get this too.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 10-09-2009

(10-08-2009, 01:25 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm going to try to make it to the book store today and buy my first ever non-fiction book. I'm strongly considering picking up misquoting jesus while Im at it. Any other good non-fiction books out there I should be aware of?

Try A People's History of the United States. 

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-09-2009

I just heard e-book readers prices are dropping again. I think I may get in on this now or soon since I am literally out of space in my house to put books or more bookcases (I should take pictures of our stack overflows).

I got a couple questions for anyone that knows: Any reviews or personal knowledge? Whats the best one? Can you hack em and put in books from "a variety of sources?"

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - copulatingduck - 10-09-2009

be warned that most books have download limits (they're usually not advertised but when you go over you have to purchase them again). When you upgrade - at least in the past - you have to redownload the file since you gotta wipe everything. they sound cool and all but read the eula and do your homework before you bite

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-09-2009

(10-09-2009, 09:35 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: be warned that most books have download limits (they're usually not advertised but when you go over you have to purchase them again). When you upgrade - at least in the past - you have to redownload the file since you gotta wipe everything. they sound cool and all but read the eula and do your homework before you bite

Yea I think this industry is still too new to jump in, plus I see the ideal price for these things under $200.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-10-2009

Got an eReader at a large discount. It reads anything in PDF so I already have my sights set on some essays to put on it.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-12-2009

http://yudkowsky.net/rational/cognitive-biases

Reading this on my eReader and I am finding it to be insanely interesting. Also grabbed the book Black Swans since it is repeatedly referenced here.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Ianki - 10-12-2009

[Image: assasingdsrty.jpeg]

part historical recount of famous american assassinations, part deconstruction of the tourist industry founded across these historical destinations, part Sarah Vowell being adorable at her vowell-est

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-12-2009

Ianki read the essay I just posted I think you will love it.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Greatbacon - 10-22-2009

So, wrapped up two books over the last few weeks in my fiction class.

The first is a collection of short stories called "An Interpreter of Maladies."  Thematically, it's a collection of stories that basically reflect modern Indian(as in the sub-continent) culture in a westernized world.  There's stories of Indian life, contact with the west, western contact with Indian culture, Indians as first and second generation Westerners (I say Westerners because some of the stories take place in America, others in Britain).  Overall I found it quite enjoyable, the stories were interesting looks at how cultures cross and blend and clash in the modern, globalized world.

The other book goes by the name "Housekeeping."  This book is not really one I'd recommend to anyone.  While an interesting read, it just doesn't have proper flow in it.  It tries to spend time telling a story, while keeping things in sort of a timeless "dreamlike" state.  Yet at times it embraces this dreamlike state and just goes off on random bits of prose that are only marginally related to the story, and mostly serve as the authors excuse to go on endlessly about metaphors and musings that she couldn't seem to properly weave into the tale.  The ideas and the metaphors were cool, but the structure of the story is so bad that it is very easy to get lost amongst the words.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 10-23-2009

Picked up the new Hitchhiker's Guide book by Eoin Colfer. Before going and saying "HERESY IT'S NOT BY DOUGLAS ADAMS THEREFORE IT SUCKS STOP DEFILING HIS BOOKS!!"

He pays great attention to the groundwork by Douglas Adams. It pretty much picks up where the last book left off, if I remember right. Haven't read it in a LONG time. Another neat thing he adds is the guide notes more frequently, which  of course throw in often useful and hilarious tidbits about things used. (much like the actual hitchhiker's guide.) The humor is spot-on, and is standard fare for this series. I haven't finished it yet, but it's making me laugh just as much as the other books. At least get it from the library or something.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 10-25-2009

Just finished Dexter in the Dark, and fuck that book. I won't get into exactly why because of spoilers, but the ending was so thoroughly awful, which is especially disheartening, since everything before it was so good Sad

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 10-25-2009

(10-25-2009, 01:27 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: Just finished Dexter in the Dark, and fuck that book. I won't get into exactly why because of spoilers, but the ending was so thoroughly awful, which is especially disheartening, since everything before it was so good Sad
yeah, this is why I'm just watching the tv series now.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Scary Womanizing Pig Mask - 10-25-2009

(10-25-2009, 05:23 PM)Squishy3 link Wrote: [quote author=Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link=topic=1145.msg119506#msg119506 date=1256495234]
Just finished Dexter in the Dark, and fuck that book. I won't get into exactly why because of spoilers, but the ending was so thoroughly awful, which is especially disheartening, since everything before it was so good Sad
yeah, this is why I'm just watching the tv series now.
[/quote]

Which is utterly fantastic Big Grin The rest of the book was so good though, that bullshit ending just pisses me the shit off.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 10-25-2009

Bill Willingham made a prose book which is part of the Fables universe. It's about Peter and Max Piper. I can't wait to read it.