Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? (/showthread.php?tid=8244)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 04-25-2012

(04-23-2012, 10:03 PM)Kor link Wrote: Reading The Horus Heresy from the Warhammer 40k Universe. 8 books into it; Excellent in some ways, lackluster is others. From book to book the writing remains for the most part engaging, but the saga isn't set in it's time frames, which makes it trying to read through yet another 300 pages to see the last 100 actually bring something new to the table. I peeked ahead only to learn that there's sequels to books previously in the saga, which either means we're checking up, or we're going back for even more backstory. Sufficed to say, I like the one theme that's always present in every book, and that's the underdog hero. There's always that one guy that's being written to give you a glimmer that at least one guy has it right, and it isn't all doom and gloom and Chaos is eating everything.
I like them because each book (at least so far) is about each chapter's downfall into Chaos. [spoiler]I liked that when Fulgrim gave himself over to the Chaos Daemon that he realized what he did and truly regretted it.[/spoiler]

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 04-25-2012

(04-25-2012, 10:06 AM)Squishy link Wrote: [quote author=Kor link=topic=1145.msg243558#msg243558 date=1335236624]
Reading The Horus Heresy from the Warhammer 40k Universe. 8 books into it; Excellent in some ways, lackluster is others. From book to book the writing remains for the most part engaging, but the saga isn't set in it's time frames, which makes it trying to read through yet another 300 pages to see the last 100 actually bring something new to the table. I peeked ahead only to learn that there's sequels to books previously in the saga, which either means we're checking up, or we're going back for even more backstory. Sufficed to say, I like the one theme that's always present in every book, and that's the underdog hero. There's always that one guy that's being written to give you a glimmer that at least one guy has it right, and it isn't all doom and gloom and Chaos is eating everything.
I like them because each book (at least so far) is about each chapter's downfall into Chaos. [spoiler]I liked that when Fulgrim gave himself over to the Chaos Daemon that he realized what he did and truly regretted it.[/spoiler]
[/quote][spoiler]i always liked how the fluff forever has been that Magnus the Red was using his sorcerous powers to try to HELP the emperor[/spoiler], although I haven't read enough of the books to see if that's the case in that series.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Kor - 04-25-2012

[/quote]

I thought that was a superb twist, and [spoiler]the way Horus reacted was similarly excellent.[/spoiler] I do hope to see the other side soon enough, maybe the good guys can win one.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 04-26-2012

(04-25-2012, 05:15 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy link=topic=1145.msg243746#msg243746 date=1335366401]
[/quote]

I thought that was a superb twist, and [spoiler]the way Horus reacted was similarly excellent.[/spoiler] I do hope to see the other side soon enough, maybe the good guys can win one.
[/quote]I just can't wait until we get to the point where Sanguinius charges into Horus' fleet and battles with him long enough for the Emperor to arrive.

[spoiler]It's been awhile since I've been reading, at0m, but IIRC that is basically what Magnus is doing. When Horus was getting corrupted after being gravely injured and being healed by the powers of Chaos, Magnus was in his mind trying to sway him from being corrupted.[/spoiler]

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 05-07-2012

1) You guys suck at editing nested[/quote]quotes

2) HOW THE FUCK DID IT TAKE ME THIS LONG TO START READING THE DISCWORLD BOOKS JESUS CHRIST THESE ARE AWESOME

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Kor - 05-08-2012

Just finished Mechanicum. I need more books from my dealer brother-in-law.

Edit: Last 50 pages or so = Noble manly tears.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - A. Crow - 05-08-2012

(05-07-2012, 10:25 PM)at0m link Wrote: 2) HOW THE FUCK DID IT TAKE ME THIS LONG TO START READING THE DISCWORLD BOOKS JESUS CHRIST THESE ARE AWESOME

OMG WTF BBQ.  YOU HAVEN'T READ ANY PRATCHETT BEFORE THIS? 

NERD CARD.  HAND IT OVER. 

NOW.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 05-08-2012

I'd read Good Omens many moons ago, but was always stuck on the Discworld books because there are so many, and are in scattered order, and everyone says there's a different order to read them in for maximum enjoyment. Since I never got a definitive answer, I got stuck in a logic loop and never started. And I don't usually read Fantasy, so I was kinda ehhhh on the whole thing.

Nobody told me about the sarcastic humor, obviously.

So I finally said fuck it, reading them in the order published, and started reading them last week. I'm already more than halfway through Mort (book 4 the way I'm reading them). SOFAKING GOOD

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Vongore - 05-08-2012

Finally, after 2 years of searching, found a copy of The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. (Chile isn't really a fan of sci-fi).

Unfortunately, my gf made me watch the movie first so now i know the story :<. But it's still going to be a good read goddamit.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - A. Crow - 05-09-2012

(05-08-2012, 10:51 PM)Vongore link Wrote: Unfortunately, my gf made me watch the movie first so now i know the story :<.

Wrong.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - HeK - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 01:38 AM)LT Crow link Wrote: [quote author=Vongore link=topic=1145.msg244831#msg244831 date=1336535464]
Unfortunately, my gf made me watch the movie first so now i know the story :<.

Wrong.
[/quote]

If you read the book you still miss out.

Download the radio show.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 07:44 AM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=LT Crow link=topic=1145.msg244841#msg244841 date=1336545515]
[quote author=Vongore link=topic=1145.msg244831#msg244831 date=1336535464]
Unfortunately, my gf made me watch the movie first so now i know the story :<.

Wrong.
[/quote]

If you read the book you still miss out.

Download the radio show.
[/quote]I personally thought the british miniseries was pretty good, as well.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Badgerman of DOOM - 05-09-2012

abraham lincoln: vampire hunter is a godlike book, that is all

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Azure_Angel - 05-14-2012

Finally got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Finished all 3 books and saw the movie within the week... I want more. I really love Katniss.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 05-15-2012

I'm reading creation without restraint by Herbert Hovenkamp. Exciting stuff.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 05-15-2012

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia is really good.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Azure_Angel - 05-15-2012

I've started writing a book. The current working title is, "Fall of the North." It deals with a civil war in modern America, and how it could have the potential to spread across the continent. The story takes place in the closing years of the civil war from the eyes of a soldier in the Arizona army, and recounts the entire war from it's beginnings.

That's all I'll say for now, but I'd love some feedback.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 02:44 PM)Azure_Angel link Wrote: I've started writing a book. The current working title is, "Fall of the North." It deals with a civil war in modern America, and how it could have the potential to spread across the continent. The story takes place in the closing years of the civil war from the eyes of a soldier in the Arizona army, and recounts the entire war from it's beginnings.

You should read a comic called DMZ by Brian Wood, but only if you think it won't influence your writing too strongly. The comic is an excellent take on a modern day Civil War and could help you think of issues you need to address and POV stories and so on. But again it depends on how you react to reading similar ideas. I think it's probably different enough that you would be safe, it has strong hip hop and street influences as well as being mainly through the lens of 9/11, terrorism, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I know people have different ideas on whether to read other materials. I like to have as much information as possible, but others are rightly concerned that it will effect their own writing too much. So I give this recommendation with the previous caveat.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Azure_Angel - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 03:55 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Azure_Angel link=topic=1145.msg245275#msg245275 date=1337111097]
I've started writing a book. The current working title is, "Fall of the North." It deals with a civil war in modern America, and how it could have the potential to spread across the continent. The story takes place in the closing years of the civil war from the eyes of a soldier in the Arizona army, and recounts the entire war from it's beginnings.

You should read a comic called DMZ by Brian Wood, but only if you think it won't influence your writing too strongly. The comic is an excellent take on a modern day Civil War and could help you think of issues you need to address and POV stories and so on. But again it depends on how you react to reading similar ideas. I think it's probably different enough that you would be safe, it has strong hip hop and street influences as well as being mainly through the lens of 9/11, terrorism, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I know people have different ideas on whether to read other materials. I like to have as much information as possible, but others are rightly concerned that it will effect their own writing too much. So I give this recommendation with the previous caveat.
[/quote]

I think I'll take a look at it. I'm confident in my writing, and my plot to know I won't be influenced. I've been trying to create this story for a year or so. Originally tried to write it as a movie before I realized I was going in depth far more than a script needs to be.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - A. Crow - 05-16-2012

dear lord, please consult someone who's actually been in a firefight before writing any crazy Mr and Mrs Smith type shit.Â