Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? (/showthread.php?tid=8244)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - cbre88x - 08-18-2012

(06-05-2012, 08:20 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=rumsfald link=topic=1145.msg219675#msg219675 date=1313865268]
Started a new release today

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYD3vsLIp8UF4q6Eu8oBr...cqmPA2RvOQ]

page 84, and I think I feel confident in calling this to be a must-read for this community. Let's just say the plot revolves around the internet, all video games ever, 80s movies and music, and D&D.

Important update regarding this book: the author hid an easter egg in the novel and is giving away a time machine to the winner.

http://youtu.be/xrGfQpxMFLs

If you haven't read this book yet, well, don't blame me for your sucktitude.
[/quote]

I bought this right before I left my job (and therefore my employee discount). I can't wait to start..I've been listening to the Axe Factor podcast just talk and talk about this book and how awesome it is.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Coppanuva - 09-05-2012

About halfway through Lunar Park now, it's good and really starting to creep me out. Thinking of trying to conquer Infinite Jest after this, since I've heard really good things, but it's also supposedly a bitch to read so that kinda makes me worried... anybody read it?

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 09-05-2012

the spellman files is really fucking good

family of private investigators that have daily shenanigans involving each other

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 09-12-2012

Just finished Thief of Time (Discworld #26). Definitely the best one so far, it's got three of my favorite characters in it (Death, Susan Sto Helit, and The Sweeper) and is just fantabulous.

Sad panda that the next one in the sequence is The Last Hero, which is an illustrated print book (can't get it in ebook form, makes no sense). I bought it, but I can't read it at work Sad

Also I feel like a slightly crazy person, I started with Discworld #1 in May, and I'm averaging a book every five days.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Neptune - 09-12-2012

(09-12-2012, 10:27 AM)at0m link Wrote: Just finished Thief of Time (Discworld #26). Definitely the best one so far, it's got three of my favorite characters in it (Death, Susan Sto Helit, and The Sweeper) and is just fantabulous.

Sad panda that the next one in the sequence is The Last Hero, which is an illustrated print book (can't get it in ebook form, makes no sense). I bought it, but I can't read it at work Sad

Also I feel like a slightly crazy person, I started with Discworld #1 in May, and I'm averaging a book every five days.

You're doing it right.  Thief of Time is one of my favorites, too.  Classic.

Anyway, while we were waiting for Mann Up to get started, Sogo or Milkman (or whoever) mentioned Hunger Games.  The only reason I bring this up is that I'm amazed at myself because I can't sit myself down long enough to put pen to paper.  I can literally shit better fiction.  It would kinda be in braille after it dried, but it would be better.

So I wandered over this thread to envangelize about the series I'm re-reading right now.  It's called the Codex Alera.  First book in the series (6 books, all finished, too!) is called "Furies of Calderon".  Basically, all the humans on this world make up a nation called Alera and they all have elementals called Furies.  Fire, air, water, earth, metal, and wood.  They do different things, but not everything, and make it so that humans can triumph over the other races that threaten them from all sides.  One boy, Tavi, has not "come into" his furies at the right age and is considered almost retarded in this society.  Of course, he's the main character.  He survives and overcomes his "disability" by being incredibly smart and careful when dealing with the many and varied threats in the story.

This series is written by Jim Butcher, who is currently writing the Dresden Files.  Where Dresden Files is a first-person departure from normal narrative, the Codex Alera is a classic fantasy that has all the excitement of the Dresden Files series.  Butcher knows his magic systems and uses them to write page-turners.

So please, please, please.  NO Hunger Games.  YES good fantasy like Codex Alera and the Dresden Files.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 09-13-2012

I liked the first three (four?) Dresden files books I read. Then I broke up with my ex and she took them with her, so I'll have to figure out where I left off if I want to continue reading them.

I didn't know Jim Butcher had any other series', but the way you described that one, it's like every other Young Adult Fantasy book I've ever read (underdog triumphs over adversity) and I don't feel like reading any more of those.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Trace - 09-13-2012

Finished A Dance with Dragons. There were definately some epic moments, but I felt like the pacing in the last two books left a little to be desired. Might just be me but with the myriad of characters entering the scene I felt like the story of some preexisting characters got watered down. I still very much enjoyed the series so far though.

Without A Song of Fire and Ice to occupy me I picked up the Wool Omnibus. It's pretty awesome so far, the setting reminds me of Fallout 3.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 09-13-2012

(09-13-2012, 12:04 PM)Trace link Wrote: Without A Song of Fire and Ice to occupy me I picked up the Wool Omnibus. It's pretty awesome so far, the setting reminds me of Fallout 3.
omg i enjoyed those so much you have no idea. Make sure you read them in order, though, and don't read the newest story until you've read all of the others.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Kor - 09-13-2012

Starting the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. My sister tells me I'll be devouring them, regardless of their page counts.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 09-13-2012

(09-13-2012, 07:08 AM)at0m link Wrote: I liked the first three (four?) Dresden files books I read. Then I broke up with my ex and she took them with her, so I'll have to figure out where I left off if I want to continue reading them.

I didn't know Jim Butcher had any other series', but the way you described that one, it's like every other Young Adult Fantasy book I've ever read (underdog triumphs over adversity) and I don't feel like reading any more of those.

As someone who has read both of Jim Butcher's major series, the Dresden Files is much, much better IMHO.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Neptune - 09-13-2012

I'll agree that it's a lot of youngster-grows-up-through-bad-times-and-comes-out-smelling-like-roses, but I don't put it under "Young Adult", either.  His material is heavy and very detailed.  It's head and shoulders above other "scrappy teenager" books.

Sword of Truth series: Very good series.  Gruesome in some parts, but not without reason.  Book Six can jump off a cliff, though.  Other than that, excellent choice.

Re: Re: Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Luinbariel - 09-13-2012

(09-13-2012, 12:58 PM)Kor link Wrote: Starting the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. My sister tells me I'll be devouring them, regardless of their page counts.

They start off strong but I lost interest as the series continued.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Neptune - 09-13-2012

(09-13-2012, 04:23 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: [quote author=Kor link=topic=1145.msg253751#msg253751 date=1347559135]
Starting the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. My sister tells me I'll be devouring them, regardless of their page counts.

They start off strong but I lost interest as the series continued.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

He picks it back up for the last three books, so I forgive him.  Unlike that charlatan Robert Jordan.  *shakes fist*

Re: Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 09-13-2012

He died before finishing the series though.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Squishy3 - 09-13-2012

(09-13-2012, 02:57 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=1145.msg253735#msg253735 date=1347538093]
I liked the first three (four?) Dresden files books I read. Then I broke up with my ex and she took them with her, so I'll have to figure out where I left off if I want to continue reading them.

As someone who has read both of Jim Butcher's major series, the Dresden Files is much, much better IMHO.
[/quote]It certainly is. I went to a book signing for Ghost Story and it was totally worth the 5 hour roundtrip.

Re: Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Neptune - 09-17-2012

(09-13-2012, 07:40 PM)at0m link Wrote: He died before finishing the series though.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, but Brandon Sanderson finished it!  Sanderson is 100 times the author Jordan was, anyway.  I can't wait until January when that last book comes out.  I've been reading that damn series since high school.  It's about friggin' time!  Go Sanderson!

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Didzo - 10-09-2012

Started reading the Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell today.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 10-09-2012

Humble eBook Bundle came out today, includes Old Man's War. That book alone is worth donating $15 for, plus you get a bunch of other books! (including one cowritten by Neil Gaiman) http://www.humblebundle.com/

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - at0m - 10-23-2012

Aaaaand they added a bunch of graphic novels, so its DEFINITELY worth the $15.

Also, I just started on the third-to-last Discworld book. Making Money was amazing, but it makes me sad that I'm so close to the end of the series (as-published, anyways)

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - k0ala - 10-27-2012

The more I read this, the more it applies.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appinmotion.artofwar&hl=en
http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-of-War-ebook/dp/B0084B050M/