Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? (/showthread.php?tid=8244)

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 01-04-2009

I just finished A Confederacy of Dunces.  Surprisingly it turned out to be one of the lulziest books I've ever read. 

Also read Vacuum Diagrams, by Stephen Baxter.  It's really good if you like science fiction involving quantum physics.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - rumsfald - 01-04-2009

Old plug: Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

It's a historical account about both the building of the Chicago World Faire of 1893 with a serial killer that was stalking the building grounds. True stories, and the author does an excellent job iterweaving them.

This is prompted by my just finishing Thunderstruck by the same author, about Marconi's attempt to perfect wireless telegraph, interweaved with the London Cellar Murderer. That book is slow for about 80%, but then the climax hits and makes the preceding tedium look like excellent prologue.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - bjlsurfer - 01-17-2009

Finished Graham Swift's "Waterland" for school.  I really enjoyed it, cool style and some nice philosophy built in to a multi-thread storyline.  Part historical fiction, part modern day.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Geoff - 01-17-2009

[Image: the-road-cormac-mccarthy1.jpg]

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - shoopfox - 01-17-2009

I just got done re-reading The Raw Shark Texts and House of Leaves. They're both some of my favorite books ever >_>

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Luca Shoal - 01-17-2009

[Image: FifthElephant.jpg]

Carpe Jugulum was good.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - KarthXLR - 01-17-2009

I finished Watchmen recently.

If you haven't read it, you will never find another book like it. I highly highly HIGHLY recommend.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - fyre - 01-17-2009

Just finished Snow Crash. It was cool.

(01-17-2009, 01:10 PM)Geoff link Wrote: [Image: the-road-cormac-mccarthy1.jpg]

Great book.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Eschatos - 01-17-2009

(01-17-2009, 04:44 PM)Ye Salty Karth link Wrote: I finished Watchmen recently.

If you haven't read it, you will never find another book like it. I highly highly HIGHLY recommend.

I think you're the last person in all of BRBU to read Watchmen.

(01-17-2009, 05:16 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Ye Salty Karth link=topic=1145.msg61836#msg61836 date=1232228688]

[/quote]yeah probably

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Vlambo - 01-17-2009

I bought 2 Harry Turtledove books today, "Days of Infamy" which is an alternate History series that Japan successfully takes over America, and Darkness Descending, essentailly what if WW2 happened on antoher planet where technology is replaced by magic and dragons

(01-17-2009, 05:33 PM)Vlambo link Wrote: I bought 2 Harry Turtledove books today, "Days of Infamy" which is an alternate History series that Japan successfully takes over America, and Darkness Descending, essentailly what if WW2 happened on antoher planet where technology is replaced by magic and dragons

Atomica Bombus?

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - zaneyard - 01-17-2009

(01-17-2009, 05:20 PM)Ye Salty Karth link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=1145.msg61841#msg61841 date=1232230584]
[quote author=Ye Salty Karth link=topic=1145.msg61836#msg61836 date=1232228688]

[/quote]yeah probably
[/quote]
nope, i havent read it.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Vlambo - 01-17-2009

More like the Nazis are Scottish Highlanders with big beards, kilts and ride dragons instead of Panzer Tanks

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Surf314 - 01-18-2009

(01-17-2009, 05:33 PM)Vlambo link Wrote: I bought 2 Harry Turtledove books today, "Days of Infamy" which is an alternate History series that Japan successfully takes over America, and Darkness Descending, essentailly what if WW2 happened on antoher planet where technology is replaced by magic and dragons

There is a PK Dick book you should read if you are into that stuff. I think it's called man in his high castle.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - bjlsurfer - 01-18-2009

(01-18-2009, 11:07 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: There is a PK Dick book you should read if you are into that stuff. I think it's called man in his high castle.
Yep, I did an author presentation on him last year, it's an alternate history called The Man in The High Castle, and it's basically about another world where we lost WWII...

His novel Ubik is one of my favorite books of all time.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - cannedpeahes - 01-19-2009

(01-17-2009, 05:16 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: [quote author=Ye Salty Karth link=topic=1145.msg61836#msg61836 date=1232228688]

[/quote]

*timidly raises hand*

I'm on issue #3 and moving through slowly. After getting used to the beautiful coloring in Sandman I have a tough time adjusting to Watchmen.

I've read Days of Infamy. Your pitch for Darkness Descending sounds right preposterous. Have you read Ruled Brittania? It's an alt-hist England where... shit happens. Shakespeare is an underground leader who manipulates the weak Spanish presence to gain control as a rebel figurehead. It's unreal. By all accounts repulsive and ridiculous, but awesome.

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - Vongore - 01-19-2009

[/quote]

never heard of it before the movie

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - A. Crow - 01-19-2009

someone mention watchmen?  yeah, never read it...

anyways, Terry Pratchett Battles Disease with SCIENCE!

yeah, I think we're boned on anymore discworld books  :'(

Re: Books motherfuckers, do you read them? - fyre - 01-19-2009

^^

Saw that earlier...sad. :'(