Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The official Anime quarantine thread! - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The official Anime quarantine thread! (/showthread.php?tid=10858)

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Eightball - 01-22-2013

This is basically me complaining about SAO; go ahead and skip it if you haven't watched the series or really really like it.

[spoiler]Okay so the entire series is one giant pander to the otaku fanbase. Let’s start with the premise—which is pretty much the world’s largest escapism. VIDEO GAMES ARE REAL—I mean there’s perfect virtual reality which completely immerses you. Really, that’s what this whole anime is: one big escapism. You could probably make the case that all anime is that way, but let’s hold on.

The main character is as nondescript as possible. Young, average height and weight, black hair, with no distinguishing features, scars, facial hair, whatever. A description that could fit most of the viewers of the anime—or at least, fit the bill for someone they could imagine themselves being. Which is exactly what you’re supposed to do: live vicariously through the protagonist. So I’ll keep referring to him as “you”.

He starts out as aloof and a loner—just like you! But it’s okay, because literally every single female character to appear in more than one episode sees his nicer side and develops at least a pseudo-romantic interest in him: the beast tamer, the blacksmith, the catgirl, the sylph, the AI, the girl who died, the female lead, and his sister. And honestly, I don’t see any depth to the female characters in this anime, they only seem to exist to satisfy the fantasies of the viewer. This extends beyond the copious and expected amounts of boob shots, underwear scenes, and jiggle physics (okay, there’s not a LOT of that). The female lead in the second arc is reduced to nothing but a damsel in distress waiting for you to save her in a boring, patriarchal power fantasy. I guess the only thing remarkable about the girls in this series was how brazenly said lead took her clothes off to presumably have sex with you. You know, because you’re not daring enough to get intimate with someone without them taking the initiative. The sister is probably the most troubling thing to me. I understand that how cultures view familial and sexual relationships can vary, but the fact that your younger sister has the hots for you (and appropriately receives her share of fanservice despite being a middle schooler) feels really wrong. It’s okay! You’re actually first cousins! Not the fucking point! I think Japan the otaku have a real thing for incest (Japan just generally is behind on women’s opportunities and perceptions). But then they’re also the origin of tentacle rape, which by the way basically happens in this series. No penetration, but just enough to excite those boners and still be aired.

The aforementioned (along with like three other rapey scenes and a guy sniffing her while she’s unconscious) happens to the female lead after she becomes helpless. I think it’s pretty patronizing when a work of fiction tries too hard to make me emotional about something. Hate this inexplicably evil antagonist! Be really hurt over this character dying whom we spent all of 7 minutes personifying! And in this case, be really incensed over your kawaii girlfriend’s mistreatment at the hands of evil scumbags. I’m 4 episodes away from the end now, and I’m worried that the amazing ending that people are talking about will only be amazing because it’s a big cathartic ejaculation when she gets saved and they’re so happy and kawaii and shit together (except for his sister, unless there will be a kinky three-way).

It probably sounds rude to refer to everything as boldly as I am, but that’s really how things are presented if you take a step back. I'll finish it, and hopefully report back more concisely.
[/spoiler]

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - chronomaster - 01-23-2013

(01-22-2013, 11:09 PM)Eightball link Wrote: :words:
You could have just gone my route and said that the creator of the series has never done anything that wasn't done better by another series (.hack, Denno Coil).

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Didzo - 01-23-2013

(01-22-2013, 11:09 PM)Eightball link Wrote: Review proving 2D supremacy.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Totla - 01-23-2013

Ima, Soko Ni Iru Boku was pretty heavy. I really enjoyed it though.

Re: Re: Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Eightball - 01-23-2013

(01-23-2013, 01:25 AM)Chronomaster link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=3812.msg260701#msg260701 date=1358914186]
:words:
You could have just gone my route and said that the creator of the series has never done anything that wasn't done better by another series (.hack, Denno Coil).
[/quote]

Ah, I've forgotten about DC. Never seen .hack though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Versus - 01-23-2013

dennou coil was good

(01-23-2013, 01:58 AM)Didzo link Wrote: [quote author=Eightball link=topic=3812.msg260701#msg260701 date=1358914186]
2D supremacy
[/quote]

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Coelit - 01-23-2013

(01-21-2013, 02:57 AM)zaneyard link Wrote: Baccano owns so hard I wish I would have started watching it earlier in the night so I could watch it all in one go.
Whenver I try to watch that anime it ends up in sex for me. This only ever happens with Baccano.

I just want to watch my anime god damnit.
[Image: 4VqJK4k.jpg?1]

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Didzo - 01-25-2013

[Image: tumblr_mfyzt1KGCC1qc0sqno1_400.jpg]

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Elder - 01-25-2013

watching ergo proxy.. its confusing

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Totla - 01-26-2013

I just finished watching Ima, soko ni iru boku. It was really heavy but really good too.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Versus - 01-27-2013

read "girls of the wild's"

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - CaffeinePowered - 01-27-2013

(01-27-2013, 12:50 AM)versus link Wrote: read "girls of the wild's"

>girls
>wild

http://monstermusume.blisswater.info/

Its actually pretty hilarious

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Versus - 01-27-2013

this is not what i meant

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - k0ala - 02-03-2013

Wish Upon the Pleiades (Hokago no Pleiades) 1st night [Official English sub]

The car maker Subaru and the anime studio Gainax have posted a 46-second teaser trailer to announce the title and staff of their collaborative project, Hōkago no Pleiades (Afterschool Pleiades), on Monday. The Pleiades is the English name for the star cluster that the Japanese call "Subaru" — the origin of the car maker's name and six-star logo.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Elder - 02-05-2013

where you guys download/torrent/obtain your anime from?

the site I currently use is giving malware warnings through chrome. Also the download speeds are utter shit.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Squishy3 - 02-05-2013

(02-03-2013, 01:59 PM)k0ala link Wrote: Wish Upon the Pleiades (Hokago no Pleiades) 1st night [Official English sub]

The car maker Subaru and the anime studio Gainax have posted a 46-second teaser trailer to announce the title and staff of their collaborative project, Hōkago no Pleiades (Afterschool Pleiades), on Monday. The Pleiades is the English name for the star cluster that the Japanese call "Subaru" — the origin of the car maker's name and six-star logo.
No Mr. Pleiades, no buy.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - backfire - 02-05-2013

(02-05-2013, 12:41 PM)Elder link Wrote: where you guys download/torrent/obtain your anime from?

the site I currently use is giving malware warnings through chrome. Also the download speeds are utter shit.

I usually get them straight from the sub group's website, but most of them upload to nyaatorrent anyways so you'd be best off just going there.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - Squishy3 - 02-05-2013

(02-05-2013, 01:01 PM)backfire link Wrote: [quote author=Elder link=topic=3812.msg261521#msg261521 date=1360086087]
where you guys download/torrent/obtain your anime from?

I usually get them straight from the sub group's website, but most of them upload to nyaatorrent anyways so you'd be best off just going there.
[/quote]yeah nyaa is basically the best site i feel for general anime unless you have access to a private TV tracker like BTN

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - TOH - 02-05-2013

I use IRC. Server is irc.rizon.net and connect to #news. There are bots there that provide the files over DCC. It's a bit more involved to get setup, but it's good speeds from a direct source and you don't have to compromise upload.

Re: The official Anime quarantine thread! - at0m - 02-05-2013

I used to idle on that network, back in the day. I knew an oper there.