Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Culinary Delights and Disasters - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Culinary Delights and Disasters (/showthread.php?tid=14269)

Pages: 1 2

Culinary Delights and Disasters - Gasman - 11-03-2015

Credit to Hek for the idea of this thread. Any and all food and drink adventures go here, successful or disastrous, along with any pictures of the journey.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - The Generic Name - 11-03-2015

I tried to make a mac and cheese Casserole with hotdogs and onions.  I fucked up.  real bad.  made too much and wasted a lot of food.  Was a bitch to clean up.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - matter11 - 11-04-2015

I once tried to substitute buttermilk for heavy cream in a new england clam chowder.

Oh god.
so sour.
so bad.
so sad..

Now I know that buttermilk is sour tasting. I always just thought it was really buttery milk..... all because you can't market sour milk.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - KarthXLR - 11-04-2015

When i was back living with SPM and another guy, we had a real small slow cooker. So it could be a little difficult to get the things settled in. Unfortunately for me, when I put the roast in it was actually stuck on the walls and hovering about 2 inches above the bottom. So when I got home it had cooked...but all the juices were not touching it.

It was like chewing leather. A perfect roast...ruined.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Didzo - 11-05-2015

I once tried to make a grilled cheese sandwich. The bread burnt and stuck to the pan.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - FlyingMongoose - 11-05-2015

I once boiled sausage and forgot I was boiling sausage... so... yeah smoke alarm... and whatnot... it was fun... scared the shit out of my self... but surprisingly did NOT overcook the sausage, was still good.

This behavior is atypical for me as usually I'm a pretty good cook.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Luinbariel - 11-05-2015

We were making kraft dinner one time when I still lived in my apartment (before HeK lived with me). I stopped paying attention for a bit and when I came back it was actually on fire (my room mate had left some crud under there I hadn't seen). 

As for good things, cinnamon bun apple pie crusts are amazing.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Luca Shoal - 11-07-2015

Cinnamon rolls also make REALLY good bread pudding.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Gasman - 11-08-2015

Cold buttered rum:

[Image: 20151108_191508_zpsde5enfxn.jpg]

[Image: 20151108_192712_zpsfktw0gtl.jpg?t=1446950684]

Spiced rum, butter syrup and lime juice. Shaken and then strained. Unfortunately, I used too much old lime juice, and it overpowered the drink's nuances. Luckily, I have more butter syrup left over and plenty of spiced rum, so I just need to get fresher lime juice and use less of it.

For anyone interested, here's the recipe for the butter syrup:

200 grams water
10 allspice berries/1 tsp ground allspice
3 grams emulsifier, such as a xanthan gum/gum arabic mixture
150 grams melted butter
200 grams granulated sugar

Heat water, add allspice, let steep for five minutes, strain out water, add emulsifier and whisk/blend, add butter and whisk/blend, add sugar and whisk/blend.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - KarthXLR - 11-09-2015

(11-08-2015, 09:51 PM)Gasman Wrote: Cold buttered rum:

[Image: 20151108_191508_zpsde5enfxn.jpg]

[Image: 20151108_192712_zpsfktw0gtl.jpg?t=1446950684]

Spiced rum, butter syrup and lime juice. Shaken and then strained. Unfortunately, I used too much old lime juice, and it overpowered the drink's nuances. Luckily, I have more butter syrup left over and plenty of spiced rum, so I just need to get fresher lime juice and use less of it.

For anyone interested, here's the recipe for the butter syrup:

200 grams water
10 allspice berries/1 tsp ground allspice
3 grams emulsifier, such as a xanthan gum/gum arabic mixture
150 grams melted butter
200 grams granulated sugar

Heat water, add allspice, let steep for five minutes, strain out water, add emulsifier and whisk/blend, add butter and whisk/blend, add sugar and whisk/blend.
You ever do hot buttered rum? I tried to last year and it didn't turn out so well...

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Gasman - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 03:36 AM)KarthXLR Wrote: You ever do hot buttered rum? I tried to last year and it didn't turn out so well...

Not yet, but that may be the next step for me try. The butter solidified as everybody drank it, so either I need to serve it warm or everyone needs to drink it more quickly.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Xineoph - 12-04-2015

[Image: MjorJyP.jpg]

Sometimes I  bake bread.  This is focaccia topped with poblano pepper and onion.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Luinbariel - 12-04-2015

That looks pretty damn awesome

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Surf314 - 12-04-2015

(12-04-2015, 11:44 AM)Luinbariel Wrote: That looks pretty damn awesome

His focacia is legit, we make him bring it to every D&D.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Gasman - 12-19-2015

[Image: 20151219_185016_zpssauxdeh2.jpg?t=1450489946]

Tequila sunrise using freshly squeezed orange juice and handmade grenadine. It tastes a bit sour, but has a more fruity flavor from real grenadine instead of the fake stuff.

[Image: 20151216_203308_zpsirsjuf1d.jpg?t=1450490260]

Pies for a work potluck. Half of them failed, since the cherry pie didn't work at all and the banana cream pie was too thin/I was unaware bananas oxidized. The last pie on the left is a lemon meringue pie that turned out fine.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Luinbariel - 12-19-2015

Mmmmm that drink looks tasty!

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - CaffeinePowered - 12-26-2015

Gasman you're playing bartend at ACEN this year

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - Gasman - 12-28-2015

(12-26-2015, 12:10 PM)CaffeinePowered Wrote: Gasman you're playing bartend at ACEN this year

I'm nowhere near playing bartender yet, XD I'm just dabbling with recipes and ingredients atm. I would not mind a tutoring session from somebody in the knowhow when there, though. It's also looking unlikely that I'm going this year (again), this time from my wanting to intern over the summer and not being able to afford anything extraneous anymore.

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - at0m - 02-04-2016

+subscribe for more of Gasman's delicious looking food, maybe I'll post my own someday

RE: Culinary Delights and Disasters - matter11 - 02-20-2016

Grilled up some wild boar burgers for the first time and they were pretty good.

Also bought some venison sliders which will most likely be fried on cast iron,
Any slider tips?