Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=203)

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Moosendoo - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 10:08 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Been one day and there's already a plugin that can bar free-players from servers

Sometimes people disgust me. Sad

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - [SiN] Merc - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 10:24 AM)Moosendoo link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=206.msg211951#msg211951 date=1309014518]
Been one day and there's already a plugin that can bar free-players from servers

[/quote]

It's ok, I needed to polish the 'ol blacklist anyway.

Edit: oh yeah, regarding updates: Demoknight buffs all the way. MFW.
[Image: mcgrouder.jpg]

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - sk8mystery23 - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 10:08 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Been one day and there's already a plugin that can bar free-players from servers

Lol. I just thought it was funny.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - copulatingduck - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 11:38 AM)sk8mystery23 link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=206.msg211951#msg211951 date=1309014518]
Been one day and there's already a plugin that can bar free-players from servers

[/quote]

just ban all of brazil and 95% of your terrible troll problems will be gone

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Huehuehue

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Chief - 06-25-2011

i think there's one way to change the tomislav for the better

make him move slower while revving, and make the spin-down duration way longer
it would keep the same rev up time and fire rate and all the positive, but add some actual negatives features to the weapon rather than nothing

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Badgerman of DOOM - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 01:25 PM)TheDarkChief link Wrote: i think there's one way to change the tomislav for the better

make him move slower while revving, and make the spin-down duration way longer
it would keep the same rev up time and fire rate and all the positive, but add some actual negatives features to the weapon rather than nothing

I think making the heavy move MUCH slower, like sub-brass beast levels, while shooting. Maybe even complete immobility. This way it keeps its whole ninja heavy feel, but it has a MASSIVE underside.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Kirby - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 10:24 AM)Moosendoo link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=206.msg211951#msg211951 date=1309014518]

[/quote]

You realize there's a perfectly legit reason for that, right?

Download cheets, play TF2 for free without worry. Get VAC'ed 3 weeks later, roll new account, cheet on.

Troll a server, get banned, swap accounts really quick, resume trolling.

F2P games have historically always has problems with rampant hacking, TF2 will fare no better.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Moosendoo - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 03:50 PM)Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link Wrote: You realize there's a perfectly legit reason for that, right?

Download cheets, play TF2 for free without worry. Get VAC'ed 3 weeks later, roll new account, cheet on.

F2P games have historically always has problems with rampant hacking, TF2 will fare no better.

I'm assuming Valve won't let that happen: "We’re increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can’t ruin your fun. Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly."

Also, hax0rs disgust me too.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - backfire - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 04:40 PM)Moosendoo link Wrote: [quote author=Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link=topic=206.msg211991#msg211991 date=1309035016]

I'm assuming Valve won't let that happen: "We’re increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can’t ruin your fun. Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly."

[/quote]

What I'm wondering though is how exactly they'll go about preventing it. Only thing I can think of is through an IP ban, and even that won't do much.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Kirby - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 05:12 PM)backfire link Wrote: [quote author=Moosendoo link=topic=206.msg212003#msg212003 date=1309038053]
[quote author=Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link=topic=206.msg211991#msg211991 date=1309035016]

[/quote]

What I'm wondering though is how exactly they'll go about preventing it. Only thing I can think of is through an IP ban, and even that won't do much.
[/quote]

The only feasible way to do that is to work like Punkbuster does now. The Steam client, when you trigger a VAC ban, will in some way communicate a hash number to Valve, that number will be generated based on the serial number or model # of one or more pieces of hardware in your computer, to track specific PC's logging into accounts and/or creating them.

$50 says there's a TOS update from Valve soon, in the revised version, you will grant Valve permission to access information of the hardware on your PC, above and beyond that might be transmitted when you run something like the FPS benchmark in CS:S

Then some blackhat will invent some code to wrap around steam.exe to feed it false hardware information, because as Blizzard found out, using a game client to scan memory addresses to check and see if <any other program or code> is actively running on your PC is very, very illegal.

Have you ever, or recently played CS:S Moose?

It's a hacker riddled game, TF2 is only spared the same fate because it's not as popular, and anything besides sniper isn't really effective for simple aimbotting.

Now it's F2P

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - CaffeinePowered - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 05:21 PM)Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link Wrote: The only feasible way to do that is to work like Punkbuster does now. The Steam client, when you trigger a VAC ban, will in some way communicate a hash number to Valve, that number will be generated based on the serial number or model # of one or more pieces of hardware in your computer, to track specific PC's logging into accounts and/or creating them.

Wouldn't you be able to log IPs on VAC ban and tie them back to their legitimate account (assuming they have one) and then ban their entire account as well as all purchases they've made?

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - k0ala - 06-25-2011

Starting with Series 19 and going forward, the weapons in Mann Co Supply Crates will be "Strange" weapons, which keep a kill counter and will spam your server each time that kill count hits a round number.

Valve calls this "Leveling Up" and I propose we should offer appropriate BRB,U congratulations as thanks for being notified by a pop-up.

A pop-up, I might add, that is easily disabled through Advanced Options.

But this is lulz, and lulz will always find a way.

"DONGratulations"?

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Badgerman of DOOM - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 07:16 PM)k0ala link Wrote: Starting with Series 19 and going forward, the weapons in Mann Co Supply Crates will be "Strange" weapons, which keep a kill counter and will spam your server each time that kill count hits a round number.

Valve calls this "Leveling Up" and I propose we should offer appropriate BRB,U congratulations as thanks for being notified by a pop-up.

A pop-up, I might add, that is easily disabled through Advanced Options.

But this is lulz, and lulz will always find a way.

"DONGratulations"?

i already have a naturally level 93 blutsauger, get on my level valve

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - EarthlingJohn - 06-25-2011

[Image: 3jBVU.jpg]

Uber Update; pic from the "tf2 is free2play" vid

IT IS NOT OVER YET

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Dr. Zaius - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 08:05 PM)EarthlingJohn link Wrote: Uber Update; pic from the "tf2 is free2play" vid

IT IS NOT OVER YET

Valve's new goal is to break tf2 a little more each weak until it nosedives, crashes and burns.

Fun while it lasted, kind of.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - copulatingduck - 06-25-2011

banning off of IPs is useless, it doesn't take much more than a proxy to get around stuff like that. hardware id is the way to go, but like kirby already said, if there's enough interest, the hacks will be there. TF2 is f2p now, so the interest (and money) will definitely be there. :\

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - at0m - 06-26-2011

(06-25-2011, 12:55 PM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=sk8mystery23 link=topic=206.msg211965#msg211965 date=1309019922]
[quote author=Caffeine link=topic=206.msg211951#msg211951 date=1309014518]

[/quote]

just ban all ofKOREA AND JHAP{AN
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Huehuehue
[/quote]

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - HeK - 06-26-2011

(06-25-2011, 11:01 PM)Duck link Wrote: banning off of IPs is useless, it doesn't take much more than a proxy to get around stuff like that. hardware id is the way to go, but like kirby already said, if there's enough interest, the hacks will be there. TF2 is f2p now, so the interest (and money) will definitely be there. :\

Proxy an FPS and let me know how it works out for you.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - copulatingduck - 06-26-2011

(06-26-2011, 01:42 AM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=Duck link=topic=206.msg212049#msg212049 date=1309060894]
banning off of IPs is useless, it doesn't take much more than a proxy to get around stuff like that. hardware id is the way to go, but like kirby already said, if there's enough interest, the hacks will be there. TF2 is f2p now, so the interest (and money) will definitely be there. :\

Proxy an FPS and let me know how it works out for you.
[/quote]

it's worked out fine for me a couple times, especially with a game as forgiving as tf2

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Kirby - 06-26-2011

Tried 5 random pub servers today.

Every one of them, there were only like 3 - 4 people including me who had pings <100, the rest were like 200+

Game is nothing but laggy foreigners who have no idea what they're doing now.  >Sad