Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=203)

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - K2 - 07-21-2011

(07-21-2011, 04:22 PM)backfire link Wrote: What about using the lazer pistol? How would stunning it with a charged shot then taking your lazer pistol to it work?

I haven't tried them yet, but the pistol also does reduced damage to buildings, so it probably wouldn't work too well.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - backfire - 07-21-2011

About that art style...

A touch of TF2 in Fallout: New Vegas - Righteous Bison with Commentary!

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Moosendoo - 07-21-2011

(07-21-2011, 04:46 PM)K2 link Wrote: [quote author=backfire link=topic=206.msg216052#msg216052 date=1311283348]
What about using the lazer pistol? How would stunning it with a charged shot then taking your lazer pistol to it work?

I haven't tried them yet, but the pistol also does reduced damage to buildings, so it probably wouldn't work too well.
[/quote]

Yeah, if you're using both you're pretty much down to stunning then melee or just keep plucking away around a corner for a while.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Saxxy - 07-21-2011

(07-21-2011, 05:13 PM)backfire link Wrote: About that art style...

This is exactly what I thought when I saw that thing in action.  And the particle effects are straight outta fallout 3, aka total crap Sad

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Didzo - 07-21-2011

Somehow, I've felt that demo swords, brain slugs, and potato hats fit into the theme of TF2. They didn't feel wrong.

But this new update... it doesn't feel right. At least with some of the weird promo stuff, you don't really see much of it and the stuff is limited to hattery and the occasional reskinned weapon. Eh...

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - PyroZombie - 07-21-2011

frankly, i don't think the charge cannon does that much. I've been using the cannon and the direct hit, and I've been way more successful with the direct hit.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Geoff - 07-22-2011

the 5 shots actually just rapes everything hands down

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Dr. Zaius - 07-22-2011

(07-22-2011, 02:53 AM)geoff link Wrote: the 5 shots actually just rapes everything hands down

geoffs a jerk

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - k0ala - 07-22-2011

The inspiration for the new soldier taunt:
Arnold Rimmer, the vending machine repairman on the frigate "Red Dwarf", and his very special salute.

Rimmer's classic salutes - Red Dwarf - BBC comedy

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Luinbariel - 07-22-2011

I fucking love red dwarf

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - AMCZombine - 07-22-2011

Screw the pistol, non hitscan shotgun for the lose.

Gonna try it out on walkway, see how many hits it needs for each weapon and each building, I think it was like, 17 megacharges for one level 3.

Edit.

Level 3 building (216)
13-14 rockets.
31 beams of pistol.

Level 2 building (180)

12 rockets
28 pistol rounds

Level 1 building (150)

10 rockets
22 pistol

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Kirby - 07-22-2011

After seeing the 'rockets' are reflectable, my only 2.5 complaints are;

1) wtf art style gg Valve

2) Valve is turning TF2 into a billboard for marketing, this opens the door to things they previously said they would not accept (non-thematically appropriate weapons, cough this update cough...what's next, a SG replacement for engie that's a man-height remote control MadCat Mk II?)

2.5) ONLY PYRO LIGHTS PEOPLE ON FIRE. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - copulatingduck - 07-22-2011

(07-20-2011, 09:16 PM)Grimthwacker link Wrote: All right, since when did Valve go from making things "crazy but manageable" to "outright LUDICROUS"??? 

you must be new, cuz you obviously weren't around for the engie update.

Also, can someone explain to me how V[sub]laser[/sub] << V[sub]light[/sub]?? lol physics

edit: I love TF2

edit x2: I'm fully aware some physicists from that other school in Cambridge have done it before, but their setup seems a tad bulky for a sidearm

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - AMCZombine - 07-23-2011

(07-22-2011, 04:26 PM)Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link Wrote: After seeing the 'rockets' are reflectable, my only 2.5 complaints are;

2) Valve is turning TF2 into a billboard for marketing, this opens the door to things they previously said they would not accept (non-thematically appropriate weapons, cough this update cough...what's next, a SG replacement for engie that's a man-height remote control MadCat Mk II?)

2.5) ONLY PYRO LIGHTS PEOPLE ON FIRE. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Heres my thoughts.

I was laughing unbelievably hard and still am at the idiot pyros (and soldiers) who couldn't read the guns descriptions, and having a ball reflecting lazer rockets (especially "the big one") While on the other side of the coin spamming rockets willy nilly at pyros.

I personally stopped caring about the art style so long ago, long before I started trolling people with a pink camera beard and the alien swarm.

As for marketing billboard, non thematically appropriate weapons and etc, it has already been done, the tides have been turned, and there is no going back. The demolitions man has 3 unlocks dedicated to blowing stuff up, and 9 otherwise, the scout has a pistol to replace his shotgun, a JAR OF MILK to replace his pistol and a fish to replace his bat, add expensive hat and you get +25 health no downside. They practically announce new games by first announcing what TF2 things you will get if you buy them.

Also, the sniper was beforehand the only class other than the pyro able to deal fire damage, while the more annoying bleed effect also belonged to the sniper, engineer and scout, an effect similar to fire, with the difference of being harder to remove. (You cannot milk, jarate or jump into water to avoid bleed)

The times have already changed to where you are afraid they will go.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Moosendoo - 07-23-2011

(07-22-2011, 04:26 PM)Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link Wrote: 1) wtf art style gg Valve
Yeah, laser weapons certainly don't fit in with teleporters, sentry guns, and wranglers.

... and this. :-\

Personally, I think old-school futuristic laser weapons fit in perfectly with the art style.  I wouldn't mind if they toned down the particle effects though.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - HeK - 07-23-2011

The cow mangler 500 has an ugly name and an ugly view model.

It's fun as hell to use otherwise.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - CaffeinePowered - 07-23-2011

(07-23-2011, 12:04 PM)Moosendoo link Wrote: [quote author=Kirby, the FaNspyPyro link=topic=206.msg216179#msg216179 date=1311369993]
Yeah, laser weapons certainly don't fit in with teleporters, sentry guns, and wranglers.

... and this. :-\

Personally, I think old-school futuristic laser weapons fit in perfectly with the art style.  I wouldn't mind if they toned down the particle effects though.
[/quote]

Actually its more the model than the fact that its a laser, it looks very steam-punk, where as anything Sci-Fi in TF2 should look late 50s - mid 60s, sleek, polished chrome, sharp edges, etc.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Moosendoo - 07-23-2011

(07-23-2011, 01:01 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Actually its more the model than the fact that its a laser, it looks very steam-punk, where as anything Sci-Fi in TF2 should look late 50s - mid 60s, sleek, polished chrome, sharp edges, etc.

Fair enough.  I still think there have been worse offenders added before this though (especially with promos & hats).

Re: Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - at0m - 07-23-2011

Go read a sci fi novel or comic book written back then. The art style fits perfectly, because ray guns were round and covered in strange antennae long before a steampunk cosplay manufacturer hijacked the 'look', which happened what, like two years ago? Because steampunk lasers? Are you even listening to yourselves?

Back In the 40s, everything was boxy already, so futuristic stuff was round and/or chrome. Watch some buck rogers or marvin the martian if you don't believe me.

The cross promo is weak, and making them easy to craft just drums up interest on purpose, but the weapons themselves aren't any less of a conceptual fit than the cloaking watches or any of the medigun variants.

That said, its a game, so deal with it nerds.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Live-Free-Or-Pie - 07-23-2011

[Image: 5eP25.jpg]

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/ixfp8/the_new_update_is_here_rejoice/ <-- reddit sauce