Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=203)

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Maxon - 04-21-2009

No not classes getting different weapons.  That's not gonna change.  It's gonna be special weapons based on their class.  Like having a regular flame thrower for a Pyro that gets an extra +1% to crit chance, but maybe less ammo  capacity or some sort of trade-off like all the weapons have.  Stuff like that. 

I assume you can pick them up as any class, hence the backpack to hold items, and double hence deleting items to make room for stuff you want to use and tossing stuff out for classes you'll never use or use rarely and the basic kit will be fine for those spontaneous moments of wanting to be a medic lol

It'll be a way to specialize yourself to a playstyle you like more, rather than everyone being the same kind of medic unless they have a Krizkrieg or everyone using the same flame thrower with the same stats.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Vongore - 04-21-2009

I wouldn't mind if they make an option to disable it (like how you change difficulty on L4D). Actually, sounds nice for a change of pace one in a while, but again, it must have a way to enable and disable it

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Maxon - 04-22-2009

(04-21-2009, 11:59 PM)Vongore link Wrote: I wouldn't mind if they make an option to disable it (like how you change difficulty on L4D). Actually, sounds nice for a change of pace one in a while, but again, it must have a way to enable and disable it

Well I still think it'll be an optional thing to participate in.  Sure it'll be fun to find yourself a nice unique weapon to play with, but I'm sure you can play just fine with the regular weapons.  Making the game solely depend on unique weapons is a huge game changing aspect that I just don't see happening so soon in the games life.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - ScottyGrayskull - 04-22-2009

(04-21-2009, 11:04 PM)Karf the Walrus link Wrote: Oh god, COD4's leveling thing is just a mess.

I've never thought that. I just got back into it after a year's absense, and even though I'm only like level 40 (never went prestige) I'm still quite competitive. Even the basic weapons work quite well if you play to their style.

I do agree though that having the perks require a certain level is lame, and needing to level up at all before you can do basic stuff like making a custom class or having a clan tag is complete balls.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - ScottyGrayskull - 04-22-2009

(04-21-2009, 11:33 PM)Maxon link Wrote: It'll be a way to specialize yourself to a playstyle you like more, rather than everyone being the same kind of medic unless they have a Krizkrieg or everyone using the same flame thrower with the same stats.

Yeah, because 9 very different classes each (well... eventually) with 2 complete sets of weaponry doesn't let you specialize enough.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - CaffeinePowered - 04-22-2009

(04-22-2009, 06:50 AM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [quote author=Maxon link=topic=206.msg78306#msg78306 date=1240374839]
It'll be a way to specialize yourself to a playstyle you like more, rather than everyone being the same kind of medic unless they have a Krizkrieg or everyone using the same flame thrower with the same stats.

Yeah, because 9 very different classes each (well... eventually) with 2 complete sets of weaponry doesn't let you specialize enough.
[/quote]

And the loadout screen shows that they are going to have 3 sets of weapons for each class...eventually, I just don't get why they are wasting time on this, I'd rather see more maps and/or more game modes.

Where's hunted, rock2, murderball, centerflag

God I'd love to see 4-team support brought back, 8v8v8v8 Murderball was absolute WIN, and an official centerflag map wouldn't be so bad either.

But nah, we'd rather spend resources making hats...  Sad

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Benito Mussolini - 04-22-2009

(04-22-2009, 07:25 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=206.msg78338#msg78338 date=1240401046]
[quote author=Maxon link=topic=206.msg78306#msg78306 date=1240374839]

[/quote]

And the loadout screen shows that they are going to have 3 sets of weapons for each class...eventually, I just don't get why they are wasting time on this, I'd rather see more maps and/or more game modes.

Where's hunted, rock2, murderball, centerflag

God I'd love to see 4-team support brought back, 8v8v8v8 Murderball was absolute WIN, and an official centerflag map wouldn't be so bad either.

But nah, we'd rather spend resources making hats...  Sad
[/quote]

Hats!
[Image: paperhat.jpg]

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - [fr31ns]Karrde - 04-22-2009

Am I the only one who kinda wishes we could revert to november 2007 sans some of the killer bugs?

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Blues - 04-22-2009

WORLD OF TEAM FORTRESS 2!

NEXT WE'LL BE ABLE TO EQUIP BOOTS, BELTS, ARMOR, AND A SHIELD! YEAH I LOVE THIS GAME AND THESE UPDATE IDEAS ARE WONDERFUL! I HOPE I CAN GET SOMETHING WITH A CHANCE TO CAST MAGIC MISSLE ON HIT!!!!

Quote:Karrde link=topic=206.msg78431#msg78431 date=1240431578]
Am I the only one who kinda wishes we could revert to november 2007 sans some of the killer bugs?

With the fail facestabs, the demo's winbombs even more winner, and the soldier with his whooping 32 rockets in his pouch?
Let's not forget the Medic not having a potent weapon for getting out of trouble.

There weren't only bad things in the updates, I seriously think people rage too much.
Let's wait and see what happens with the updates, O.K.? I think people working for VALV[sup]E[/sup] are old enough to know what they're doing... I really don't think their goal is to ruin our game.

After all... isn't it the community that brings issues for them to fix? They made forums for people to complain or give ideas, and I doubt most of you have posted anything there before complaining over the BRB,U forums.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - [fr31ns]Karrde - 04-22-2009

SANS (without) some of the killer bugs.  That and medic weapons.  And eh, 32 rockets, w/e, I never run out unless I'm spamming offa GPit B.  And I do post on the steam forums Tongue

(04-22-2009, 05:45 PM)Benito Mussolini link Wrote: [quote author=[fr31ns]Karrde link=topic=206.msg78431#msg78431 date=1240431578]
After all... isn't it the community that brings issues for them to fix? They made forums for people to complain or give ideas, and I doubt most of you have posted anything there before complaining over the BRB,U forums.
[/quote]

Apparently you aren't familiar with the term "majority rules". If you are, you aren't aware that the vast majority of humans on this planet are complete fuckwits, and that amount is pretty much doubled in the gaming community. Why bother complaining about real issues when people are just screaming for nerfs because they die to a particular class often, generally due to their own stupidity.

HEAVY NEEDS NERF, I RAN STRAIGHT AT HIM AS PYRO AND DIED BEFORE LIGHTING HIM ON FIRE AND KILLING HIM.

DEMO NEEDS NERF, I WALKED INTO THIS PATCH OF CLEARLY VISIBLE STICKIES AND DIED BEFORE KILLING HIM.

PYRO NEEDS NERF, HE LIGHTS ME ON FIRE AS SPY AND GIVES AWAY MY POSITION.

etc.

Unfortunately, Valve hasn't managed to implement some sort of "idiot detection" into the game, so they can only assume when they see a massive amount of twits complaining about particular things that these things are unbalanced, even though they playtested and felt that things WERE balanced. While some changes were acceptable, very few of them were actually NEEDED for game balance.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - KarthXLR - 04-22-2009

(04-22-2009, 06:35 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Benito Mussolini link=topic=206.msg78459#msg78459 date=1240440340]
[quote author=[fr31ns]Karrde link=topic=206.msg78431#msg78431 date=1240431578]
[/quote]

Apparently you aren't familiar with the term "majority rules". If you are, you aren't aware that the vast majority of humans on this planet are complete fuckwits, and that amount is pretty much doubled in the gaming community. Why bother complaining about real issues when people are just screaming for nerfs because they die to a particular class often, generally due to their own stupidity.

HEAVY NEEDS NERF, I RAN STRAIGHT AT HIM AS PYRO AND DIED BEFORE LIGHTING HIM ON FIRE AND KILLING HIM.

DEMO NEEDS NERF, I WALKED INTO THIS PATCH OF CLEARLY VISIBLE STICKIES AND DIED BEFORE KILLING HIM.

PYRO NEEDS NERF, HE LIGHTS ME ON FIRE AS SPY AND GIVES AWAY MY POSITION.

etc.

Unfortunately, Valve hasn't managed to implement some sort of "idiot detection" into the game, so they can only assume when they see a massive amount of twits complaining about particular things that these things are unbalanced, even though they playtested and felt that things WERE balanced. While some changes were acceptable, very few of them were actually NEEDED for game balance.
[/quote]

Blues, you're an idiot. Everyone knows that WE NEED AN ENERGY DRINK PLUS STUN WEAPONS

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - CaffeinePowered - 04-22-2009

(04-22-2009, 06:35 PM)Blues link Wrote: Unfortunately, Valve hasn't managed to implement some sort of "idiot detection" into the game, so they can only assume when they see a massive amount of twits complaining about particular things that these things are unbalanced, even though they playtested and felt that things WERE balanced. While some changes were acceptable, very few of them were actually NEEDED for game balance.

Backburner's +50 health

Prosecution rests

But in all seriousness, most of the updates aside from the sandman and the backburner have been fine, the thing with the sandman though is I think they broke what I consider a golden rule in FPS games is, and that is in multiplayer, you never, _ever_, take control away from a player. At least if you are air blasted or FAN'd you can still shoot back.

(04-22-2009, 07:21 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Blues link=topic=206.msg78476#msg78476 date=1240443349]

Backburner's +50 health

Prosecution rests

But in all seriousness, most of the updates aside from the sandman and the backburner have been fine, the thing with the sandman though is I think they broke what I consider a golden rule in FPS games is, and that is in multiplayer, you never, _ever_, take control away from a player. At least if you are air blasted or FAN'd you can still shoot back.
[/quote]
Few bolded for extra emphasis. Also, the golden rule is really not to take COMPLETE control away from the player. Stuns and flashes in CS, COD4, etc. basically render you useless, but at least they're not rage inducing and don't have retarded long durations for that type of gameplay.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - at0m - 04-22-2009

(04-22-2009, 09:23 PM)Blues link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=206.msg78485#msg78485 date=1240446110]
[quote author=Blues link=topic=206.msg78476#msg78476 date=1240443349]

Backburner's +50 health

Prosecution rests

[/quote]
Few bolded for extra emphasis. Also, the golden rule is really not to take COMPLETE control away from the player. Stuns and flashes in CS, COD4, etc. basically render you useless, but at least they're not rage inducing and don't have retarded long durations for that type of gameplay.
[/quote]I was tempted to use the example of drop pods in BF2142 and PS (and bailing from aircraft in either for that matter), but you don't lose _total_ control - just most of it. Same goes for flashbangs - you can do what someone would do in real life and just pull the trigger and spray the room while you're blind.

Freezing in place, unable to move, react, or anything, is definitely one of the most rage-inducing things in a game.

(04-22-2009, 09:34 PM)at0m link Wrote: Freezing in place, unable to move, react, or anything, and seeing it in third person is definitely one of the most rage-inducing things in a game.

I think what I added is actually the worst part.

And one thing I learned about the game, is that skill doesn't matter that much. (See, pyro vs. heavy rage from Blues)
The more intelligent a player is, the more useful he'll be to his team. This game is mainly about knowing where to stand, what to do in which situation, and, of course, teamplay.
It's the biggest difference between TF2 and, say, CSS.
Sniper's an exception... although a dumb sniper won't get useful kills either (2Fort...).

Anyways, I think that, as long as the weapons don't change this fact that makes this game what it is, I don't mind the updates that much. In the end, it's all about being able to react to any in-game event.

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - Radio Raheem - 04-22-2009

there hasnt been a good update since the medic pack. the game has gotten considerably worse with each one

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - KarthXLR - 04-22-2009

(04-22-2009, 10:56 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote: there hasnt been a good update since the medic pack. the game has gotten considerably worse with each one
Especially that desperately needed pyro buff, totally unnecessary. And the Heavy update? Useless.

But yeah, the game has degraded with the scout update (IMO)

Re: Updates of the Week (ongoing discussion) - zaneyard - 04-22-2009

I still play TF2 every day and enjoy it as much as I did when i got it.