Be Right Back, Uninstalling
The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Minecraft (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread (/showthread.php?tid=4894)

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - demonspork - 10-09-2010

Backfire is making a really good point with the starting from scratch thing, but being attached to what you have already worked hard to build isn't all bad, even though it is easy to build the stuff, we still built he stuff and are entitled to a little attachment. I have a compromise that will suffice for at least a couple of weeks after the update:  I will launch a new map with the update and leave the old map up and running with the update. I am only capable of running 2 servers at this RAM usage level, and as I am currently running 2 (1 for another group) I am going to shut it down and merge those players into the new map (only 5 or 6 of them total).  If the current map gets taken down completely, it will be archived and available for download at its latest version.

I am about to purge the world backup archives (not the images the actual data backups) -- all but the last 5 days of world backups -- so if anyone wants a copy of the world from a specific date, tell me now.

Right now there is an issue with the image generation, the oblique images cause the c10t tool to crash near the beginning o the render, but I can still generate top down images without issue.  If anyone wants to volunteer attempting to take a picture of the map (maybe with cartographer instead of c10t), I can provide you with a download of the latest world backup and you need only to upload the 50MB .png to any filehostig site, such as mediafire or the like and I will get it from there onto the server.

PS Backfire, we need to get together and get that front page thing up on my servar so it looks nicer.

PPS We need to draft a set of rules, more specific this time, about the server.  Things like: If you want to create a mine, do it away from other people's work and don't just leave a big ugly hole in the surface, either keep it covered or build a castle/house on top of it.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Luinbariel - 10-09-2010

Not saying no one's making a good point. I just wanted to know. Nothing wrong with starting over, just askin'.

In the end, it's your server, run it how you like and we'll follow. It's just a game and really.... people are getting too worked up over things that don't exist.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Metal_Vixxen - 10-10-2010

yeah i think the whole survival vs creative thought is very well placed....
i've played creative in the past and it would be nice to play survival on a higher level than i have before (i seriously despise survival single player, because i always feel so alone when i start a game [Image: cry.gif])
i've hoarded so much stuff, it would probably feel a bit empty to just start into a working SMP with it..... there's a much lower sense of achievement than when you have to painstakingly and under stress gather your resources...... i have to give in to you, mies, i simply can't argue the fact that you make sense on that point.
again, i greatly appreciate your effort, demon. thanks for doing all this server stuffs for all of us [Image: meow.gif]

PS: sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together <3

PSS: peace and joy to all <3

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - demonspork - 10-10-2010

Vixxen it isn't PSS it is PPS, Post Script and Post Post Script

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Dr. Zaius - 10-10-2010

Not sure what I did to piss single player off, but it apparently wants me dead. Every blue circle (or excuse for a circle) is an enemy. Some enemies didn't make the picture because of the trees.

[Image: wtfminecraft1.jpg]

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - DragonEkarus - 10-10-2010

(10-10-2010, 02:54 AM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: Not sure what I did to piss single player off, but it apparently wants me dead. Every blue circle (or excuse for a circle) is an enemy. Some enemies didn't make the picture because of the trees.

[Image: wtfminecraft1.jpg]

It's a edge of the render-able area, Mobs will pop in and out of it and for awhile it'll double up how many you see, none of them are 'in range' of you to start chasing you. (Thought, that's not to say it isn't worrying, it still creeps the shit out of me to look out into the distance and see eight creepers..)

Now onto the wonders of the server war.
As I've offered before, I can copy and paste (most likely) the contents people don't wish to loose (and possibly the contents of their chests) to a large area we can mark off for a city (EG put a one unit high wall around an area that I can either level out or drop the buildings into) Hell, throw in lava lit lamp things (A box of glass with lava inside it o.=.O)

Onto the issue of rules in the server.
We got a bloody forums, let's use it, I'mma throw a simple list of rules I feel would be appropriate (Feel free to tweak, add, or remove as you wish Big Grin)
  • Don't destroy other people's structures without authorization from the owner or a 'high ranking' admin
  • Don't build massive structures without your neighbor's (s') approval first, you might be obstructing someone's view or plans to expand.
  • Don't dig massive open areas under highly populated areas
  • If you dig a hole, cover it up, it's not fun to be walking along and suddenly fall into a hole you didn't see.
  • Don't set off more than 50 TNT at once (Not sure what the exact limit is but there is a point where TNT WILL crash the game.... think it's around 12 Stacks...... Don't ask where I got this number from.)
  • Don't go on a massive logging trip near populated areas (People probably set these forests up for a reason!)
  • Warning: Fire Spreads, make sure it won't get out of hand in a heart beat. (4 to 7 units of 'air' should do the trick)
  • Don't steal (Or store things in chests that don't belong to you... Because, it might not be there when you get back!)
  • Keep massive structures to a minimum at the spawn area.

...I think that's a good start..

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Kirby - 10-10-2010

Demon, I tried running Cartographer on the server map, I downloaded the archive off my server.

6 Core with 6GB ram behind it, crashed after about 20 minutes.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Luinbariel - 10-10-2010

Those rules seem fine to me

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - demonspork - 10-10-2010

I like that set of rules so far, we can continue to amend/add if we think of anything and if issues come up. The TNT thing shouldn't be a problem if the update fixes anything (can anyone say "FUCK OFF BOX DUPING BUG") because the gunpowder is so rare there wouldn't be a way to get that much TNT.  Unless of course he provides new methods for obtaining gunpowder in quantity.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Dr. Zaius - 10-10-2010

Yeah the duplication really needs to get taken out. It's out of hand.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Luinbariel - 10-10-2010

I don't think you can really "take out" the duplication bug. It has something to do with the way the game itself is made and how it handles objects in the boxes, coupled with lag.

You can only dupe things because something isn't properly updated when you move it and the game occasionally does not realize this item has been moved, and so it replaces it. Or so I understood. To fix this he'd probably have to re-do the entire game.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Chief - 10-10-2010

[Image: tumblr_la37loKz0B1qzd3ey]
we're totally getting a new map

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - backfire - 10-10-2010

That.... that..... looks....

AGH WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT THREE WEEKS? :'(

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Hobospartan - 10-10-2010

Big GrinDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Maxon - 10-10-2010

That is epic.

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - backfire - 10-10-2010

Now with 100% more visibility

[Image: 1286736696219.jpg]

(10-10-2010, 02:11 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I don't think you can really "take out" the duplication bug. It has something to do with the way the game itself is made and how it handles objects in the boxes, coupled with lag.

You can only dupe things because something isn't properly updated when you move it and the game occasionally does not realize this item has been moved, and so it replaces it. Or so I understood. To fix this he'd probably have to re-do the entire game.

Needs to be patched is what I meant.

And

DAT SCREENSHOT AW LAWD

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - ZargonX - 10-10-2010

So, who wants to be the first to build their house in Hell?  Anybody?

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - DragonEkarus - 10-10-2010

(10-10-2010, 03:14 PM)ZargonX link Wrote: So, who wants to be the first to build their house in Hell?  Anybody?

I will under two conditions.
Someone sends me down with a BFG9000 and an iPod with (at least) Master of Puppets on it.
The DOOM Master (Doom & Metallica) by Zebes System

I SHALL TAKE THE RING INTO MORDOR!

Re: The Official Minecraft BRB,u Survival Multiplayer Omni-Thread - Kirby - 10-10-2010

(10-10-2010, 02:11 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: I don't think you can really "take out" the duplication bug.

EVE Online, World of Warcraft, Everquest I/II, Guildwars, Diablo I/II, etc.

They all managed to remove item duping.

Just sayin'