Be Right Back, Uninstalling
New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Old Boards (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: TF2 (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread (/showthread.php?tid=5776)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - at0m - 02-14-2012

(02-14-2012, 12:56 PM)backfire link Wrote: [quote author=HeK link=topic=5930.msg239121#msg239121 date=1329229209]
[quote author=backfire link=topic=5930.msg239109#msg239109 date=1329201458]
Okay so I checked with a local server as Hek suggested and my FPS is mostly fine there. Even playing with several bots, I'm still getting a much better FPS than I do in servers with hardly anyone there (as in hat/weapon optimization is not the issue). Asides from buying a new network adapter, anyone have any ideas? I actually do still like this game and I'd like to keep playing it.

Update:
Okay so I logged into my idle account and played a few rounds with that. Works flawlessly. No stuttering, high settings, native res, smooth framerate.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THIS MAKES SENSE?

TF2 configs are specific to each user. Try renaming your /tf2/cfg folder and relaunching TF2 under your primary account. See if that helps.
[/quote]

Tried that before, even turning off steam cloud and renaming my team fortress 2 folder doesn't help. Is there some CFG that includes all the default values for network and graphic settings? If I can just revert to whatever settings a totally new account uses, I should be fine.
[/quote]renaming the CFG folder will cause TF2 to generate new CFG files, but it'll be generating them from cloud data (right?).

Just copy the CFG folder from the other account or something.

Or, you know, press the 'reset to defaults' button in the settings?

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - backfire - 02-14-2012

(02-14-2012, 01:36 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=backfire link=topic=5930.msg239126#msg239126 date=1329242208]
[quote author=HeK link=topic=5930.msg239121#msg239121 date=1329229209]
[quote author=backfire link=topic=5930.msg239109#msg239109 date=1329201458]
Okay so I checked with a local server as Hek suggested and my FPS is mostly fine there. Even playing with several bots, I'm still getting a much better FPS than I do in servers with hardly anyone there (as in hat/weapon optimization is not the issue). Asides from buying a new network adapter, anyone have any ideas? I actually do still like this game and I'd like to keep playing it.

Update:
Okay so I logged into my idle account and played a few rounds with that. Works flawlessly. No stuttering, high settings, native res, smooth framerate.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THIS MAKES SENSE?

TF2 configs are specific to each user. Try renaming your /tf2/cfg folder and relaunching TF2 under your primary account. See if that helps.
[/quote]

Tried that before, even turning off steam cloud and renaming my team fortress 2 folder doesn't help. Is there some CFG that includes all the default values for network and graphic settings? If I can just revert to whatever settings a totally new account uses, I should be fine.
[/quote]renaming the CFG folder will cause TF2 to generate new CFG files, but it'll be generating them from cloud data (right?).

Just copy the CFG folder from the other account or something.

Or, you know, press the 'reset to defaults' button in the settings?
[/quote]

Okay so I tried copying over my cfg folder from my alt and... the oddest thing happens. Regardless of whether or not I have steam cloud turned off, tf2 overwrites whatever I have in my cfg folder with my whatever's stored in the cloud or something. I checked by searching in config.cfg for bind "j" "explode before and after I launched tf2. At first, it's not there, but the moment I launch it, the entire file's overwritten with my old files which came from god knows where.

As for a "reset to defaults" button, tell me where that is, cause I can't find it.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - HeK - 02-14-2012

The cloud is skynet, and is out to get you.

Can you turn off cloud services?

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Kirby - 02-14-2012

@ Backfire

There's this proswome console command called "differences"

You type it in and it will output every cvar that is not default.

Like magic.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - backfire - 02-14-2012

(02-14-2012, 04:40 PM)Kirby the Dick link Wrote: @ Backfire

Like magic.

I love you...

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Kirby - 02-16-2012

(02-14-2012, 08:32 PM)backfire link Wrote: [quote author=Kirby the Dick link=topic=5930.msg239140#msg239140 date=1329255649]
@ Backfire

Like magic.

I love you...
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I forgot the other part.

C:\Games\Steam\userdata\<youruserid>\440\remote\cfg

Obviously not your exact path, but, that's where the config files Steam was pulling out of thin air are stored. 440 is TF2's appid, Steam stores local copies of a lot of stuff in the userdata folder.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - CaffeinePowered - 02-16-2012

(02-16-2012, 04:37 PM)Kirby the Dick link Wrote: C:\Games\Steam\userdata\<youruserid>\440\remote\cfg

Obviously not your exact path, but, that's where the config files Steam was pulling out of thin air are stored. 440 is TF2's appid, Steam stores local copies of a lot of stuff in the userdata folder.

This might be relevant to my constantly resetting spray....

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - backfire - 02-21-2012

Here's a novel concept, maybe valve can take all the money they're getting from their $100 rings and patch tf2 to be more stable than a deck of cards. I hop on a pub with even teams for once, do well dispite my 10fps, then get punched in face as if saying "you think you can actually have fun? DENIED!"

I still like this game and don't want to stop playing, but they're making it very hard to keep at it.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Sogo - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 03:15 PM)backfire link Wrote: I still like this game and don't want to stop playing, but they're making it very hard to keep at it.

I know that feeling. Phlog, Spycicle, no more quick healing with the Sandvich. Come on Valve, get your shit together.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - backfire - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 03:54 PM)Sogo Payne link Wrote: [quote author=backfire link=topic=5930.msg239533#msg239533 date=1329855336]

I still like this game and don't want to stop playing, but they're making it very hard to keep at it.

I know that feeling. Phlog, Spycicle, no more quick healing with the Sandvich. Come on Valve, get your shit together.
[/quote]

No no no, as much as I dislike stuff like the wrangler, dead ringer, and gunslinger, it's not something that'll keep me from playing. I don't have any major complaints about anything gameplay wise that would make me want to quit tf2.

It's that the game runs like crap and keeps crashing, and every update they throw out only makes this work. A computer that can run Battlefield 3 on high settings can hardly run this 4 year old game on low.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Kirby - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 04:16 PM)backfire link Wrote: [quote author=Sogo Payne link=topic=5930.msg239536#msg239536 date=1329857686]
[quote author=backfire link=topic=5930.msg239533#msg239533 date=1329855336]

[/quote]

No no no, as much as I dislike stuff like the wrangler, dead ringer, and gunslinger, it's not something that'll keep me from playing. I don't have any major complaints about anything gameplay wise that would make me want to quit tf2.

It's that the game runs like crap and keeps crashing, and every update they throw out only makes this work. A computer that can run Battlefield 3 on high settings can hardly run this 4 year old game on low.
[/quote]

I still get more consistent FPS in Crysis 2 MP or WH40K Space Marine than in TF2. It's really actually quite sad.

Valve is again imploring the server admin community for help on the bug that causes corrupted replays, and I made the comment in passing that I wonder if and doubt any of the vanilla no unlock no hat no item servers have any of these problems whatsoever..... if they had any players in them anyway.

Actually come to think of it, if I load up a server on my LAN and play with 31 bots on goldrush, I can sustain 280FPS when I'm standing on the tallest rock in area #1 watching 31 bots hammer away at each other.... but if I do the same on a 24 player people server, I'll be lucky to get 35-40FPS.

All these hats and decorative items aren't optimized at all, and Valve (I guess) refuses to do any optimization at all.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Kor - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 04:25 PM)Kirby the Dick link Wrote: I'll be lucky to get 35-40FPS.

At the risk of offending your sensibilities, do you really need more fps to play effectively?

This the part where I tell you I run TF2 at 40-60 FPS on a 6 year old rig. With zero issues.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Versus - 02-21-2012

60fps is a minimum unless you're playing like engineer

when was the last time you checked and at what settings

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Kor - 02-21-2012

(02-21-2012, 05:44 PM)versus link Wrote: 60fps is a minimum unless you're playing like engineer
Uhh... Nearly 300 hours of Engi D:

(02-21-2012, 05:44 PM)versus link Wrote: when was the last time you checked and at what settings

Played last night, settings are on high, 2xAA, 4x Aniso.

DXDiag for reference.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
System Model: P5E-VM DO
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/11/07 21:43:29 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU    E6550  @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6078MB RAM
Page File: 1809MB used, 10346MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.6724

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - CaffeinePowered - 02-21-2012

Strange Kritz acquired from Striker, I only lack a strange holy mackerel to have a complete set

(02-21-2012, 05:38 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=Kirby the Dick link=topic=5930.msg239543#msg239543 date=1329859520]
I'll be lucky to get 35-40FPS.

At the risk of offending your sensibilities, do you really need more fps to play effectively?

This the part where I tell you I run TF2 at 40-60 FPS on a 6 year old rig. With zero issues.

[/quote]

I won't be drawn into that endless inane "omg doez your fps rely matar yuo cnt tel 30 frum 200" debate. It's a fact there's thousands of people all over the internet posting to where ever they post to complaining that in-game performance of TF2 has noticeably and considerably declined over the last 5 years on a per-patch basis, this is not placebo effect. It is measurable and noticeable, from comp players to weekend warriors alike.

When I built this rig, it originally had a semi-crappy budget minded 2.4 quad in it because I was on a major budget for the thing, and I got 90FPS stable as granite in TF2. When I upgraded from that to my old hex-core, it was struggling to give me 30FPS. The hex-core pushed it right back up to 200, and there it stayed for some time, but it too slowly dwindled down to a shoddy 70 with a lot of major dips into the 20's and 30's, but I blame that on lack of multithreading support and the Thubian's weak per-core nutz.

When I side-graded from the hex-core Thubian to this Phenom II 980, I'm back to slamming into the 300FPS cap constantly... until other people pop up with wearables and I'm down to shitland again.

I've had the exact same HD4890 throughout these 3 CPU's, and from simple observation I can tell you that TF2 isn't even utilizing 75% of it, and I run 4xaa and 8x ansio with extra high textures. Which only chew up like 400MB VRAM btw, so feel free to try that out all you people who aren't using it thinking a 1GB card might not cut "Extra" high.

If you can manage to still get 60FPS solid in TF2 Kor, good on you. The Source engine is so notoriously finicky between builds and computers I don't consider it a relevant benchmark or comparison of any sort whatsoever - my i5 laptop with it's integrated Intel GPU can run TF2 at 70FPS.

It's Vegas slots as to what performance you get in TF2. Come to a heavy duty game that is consistent like Crysis 2, Bad Company 2 or WH40K Space Marine and we'll see how irrelevant the Source engine really is.

(02-21-2012, 06:47 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Strange Kritz acquired from Striker, I only lack a strange holy mackerel to have a complete set

And here weren't you saying when you opened the replacement Crate I got you for the Machina that at least it wasn't a fish?

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - backfire - 03-02-2012

I feel like I'm constantly trying to do whatever I can to keep a consistent frame rate, only to get kicked back down by every new update. Game's doing that same stuttering thing it was doing before, only all my net settings are still default. I kept missing perfect shots because on the frame I clicked, the game stuttered for a quarter second and didn't regester, leaving me with a meatshot to the face.

If I wasn't going to ACen next month, I'd go out and buy a new computer right now.

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Wyrmidon - 03-03-2012

The hitboxes for most of the models seem to be off for me a bit. Especially when they are moving. I went on a local server and even bots standing still have some odd things going on. For example the Demo's head hit box only get's hit if I aim in front of his face by about a cm.  :-\

Re: New/Improved TF2 Longest Thread - Kirby - 03-03-2012

(03-03-2012, 12:22 AM)Wyrmidon link Wrote: The hitboxes for most of the models seem to be off for me a bit. Especially when they are moving. I went on a local server and even bots standing still have some odd things going on. For example the Demo's head hit box only get's hit if I aim in front of his face by about a cm.  :-\

I'm assuming you didn't manage to get the AI practice bots to stand perfectly still so you could shoot them.

The dumb bots do not have proper hitboxes, they never have and never will - they were put into TF2 for Valve's developer commentary and that is it, this has been known for years. That's why tr_walkway has the option to spawn them running backwards, because then the model will line up a little better with where you think the box *should* be.