Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Linux - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Technology (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Forum: Computers (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: Linux (/showthread.php?tid=7179)

Pages: 1 2

Linux - Mission Difficult - 04-04-2008

Just wondering if anyone around here is big on linux. We've had some downtime at work lately and a bunch of G4s laying around, so we put fedora on one of them and I've been screwing around with it. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Re: Linux - CaffeinePowered - 04-04-2008

Id recommend Unbuntu or Mandriva, thats what I personally have experience with.

Red Hat is fine too.

Im not a huge linux nut because most games won't run on it, even with Wine. However I usually run it on my back up boxes.

Re: Linux - Mission Difficult - 04-04-2008

You could run a TF2 server on linux though, no?

Re: Linux - ToiletDuck - 04-04-2008

(04-04-2008, 03:38 PM)Mission Difficult link Wrote:You could run a TF2 server on linux though, no?

yup, but you can't play it Tongue

Re: Linux - ScottyGrayskull - 04-04-2008

If I win that Turning Point PC (pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease) this one is SO getting Linux put on it. ^_^

Re: Linux - Evil Cheese - 04-04-2008

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean if you're going to win a beefy computer, you might as well play games on it. Dual-booting I can understand. Love me some K/Ubuntu.

Re: Linux - exanimo - 04-04-2008

I <3 linux and run it on my Laptop, Ubuntu 7.04 to be exact. I love it for everything but gaming.

Re: Linux - Fail Medic - 04-05-2008

Ubuntu's neat, and I dual-boot with it and XP on my laptop, but... I really don't feel the need to hassle with it on my main PC.  I do dig that (and I may be misspeaking here, sorry) Ubuntu's support of NTFS has increased recently, I think with the last distribution, but anyway, tinkering with it on the laptop is about all I feel like doing with it.

Re: Linux - jorge - 04-05-2008

(04-04-2008, 05:05 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote:If I win that Turning Point PC (pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease) this one is SO getting Linux put on it. ^_^
Instant disqualification

Re: Linux - Eschatos - 04-05-2008

If any of you win that PC, then you are completely wasting it if you put Linux on it.  It's a gaming machine, no more, no less.

Re: Linux - CaffeinePowered - 04-05-2008

Not to mention that turning point PC is ridiculously overpriced

Re: Linux - Mission Difficult - 04-05-2008

For soothe. You could build something better for a little more than half the price.

Re: Linux - copulatingduck - 04-05-2008

I think he meant he's putting Linux on his current compy. Ubuntu's alright, but it seems like it's gone a little downhill with the last release. I prefer Debian, but I actually use Linux for my server  :\

Re: Linux - Surf314 - 04-05-2008

My wife has ubuntu and she likes it, it turned a cheap laptop with Vista that was so slow it was useless to a decent laptop for school.

Re: Linux - exanimo - 04-06-2008

For crappier machines, xubuntu is killer.

Re: Linux - ScottyGrayskull - 04-06-2008

(04-04-2008, 07:15 PM)Evil Cheese link Wrote: Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean if you're going to win a beefy computer, you might as well play games on it. Dual-booting I can understand. Love me some K/Ubuntu.

I meant my current computer, which isn't doing all that well.

Heck no I wouldn't waste a perfectly good high end computer by putting Linux on it! Putting Linux on a machine is the equivalent of putting it out to pasture, content to gaze from the sidelines while the good PCs have all the fun. :p

Re: Linux - ScottyGrayskull - 04-06-2008

(04-05-2008, 12:49 AM)jorge link Wrote: [quote author=ScottyGrayskull link=topic=61.msg855#msg855 date=1207346743]
If I win that Turning Point PC (pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease) this one is SO getting Linux put on it. ^_^
Instant disqualification
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'(

Re: Linux - ConsFEARacy - 04-06-2008

Definitely gonna have to agree with Ubuntu! I use it on my laptop. It has got a few years on it and Linux helps to speed it up a bit. I do nothing but browse the internets on it when I'm away from home, but Beryl is awesome to play around with!

Re: Linux - Vandamguy - 04-07-2008

(04-06-2008, 09:13 PM)ConsFEARacy link Wrote: Definitely gonna have to agree with Ubuntu! I use it on my laptop. It has got a few years on it and Linux helps to speed it up a bit. I do nothing but browse the internets on it when I'm away from home, but Beryl is awesome to play around with!

mmmm meryl

[Image: mgs-meryl-silverburgh.jpg]

Re: Linux - ConsFEARacy - 04-07-2008

(04-07-2008, 07:47 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote: mmmm meryl

Meryl!