Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) (/showthread.php?tid=8600)

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Live-Free-Or-Pie - 04-15-2012

(04-14-2012, 04:43 PM)Saxxy link Wrote: The Atlantic has a story about the guy who made Braid.

Damn,

I'm going to See Indie Game: The Movie next week and he's going to be profiled in it... this should be fun...

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Saxxy - 04-21-2012

time-elapses from the ISS
Walking On Air

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - at0m - 04-23-2012

http://grist.org/living/2011-06-28-the-medium-chill/

Quote:The entire economy runs on spending and debt, and for that to work everyone needs to think they’re not happy but could be happy if they just had more sh*t or a better job or a better house. Every “consumer” needs to be running on the treadmill, working toward the next thing.

But social psychologists tell a different story. They point out that there’s very little evidence that, once a certain base level of material security is achieved, more money and stuff make us happier. Gilbert offers one explanation: having fewer choices is often more conducive to synthetic happiness. Piling up choices can make contentment impossible.

Some interesting implications for a consumerist society, there.

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - rumsfald - 05-02-2012

www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition

I still have my mini edition from like 25 years ago. suck it, tabletop nerds.

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Dtrain323i - 05-08-2012

Well, it turns out my dog probably isn't German Shepherd/Lab. She may actually be German Shepherd/Bloodhound.

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - A. Crow - 05-08-2012

Track em, tree em, then bite the shit out of 'em

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - at0m - 05-08-2012

(05-08-2012, 06:50 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: Well, it turns out my dog probably isn't German Shepherd/Lab. She may actually be German Shepherd/Bloodhound.
BAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUU

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - at0m - 05-10-2012

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/news/view/456/awesome-led-pocketwatch-with-firmware-done-in-mikroc/

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - WaR1761 - 05-11-2012

Real Tracking and Shooting Portal Turret

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - WaR1761 - 05-11-2012

Wifi Blocking wallpaper

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Elder - 05-12-2012

/www.gamedesign.jp/flash/chatnoir/chatnoir_jp.html

great game about trapping cats

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - HeK - 05-12-2012

(05-12-2012, 12:34 AM)Elder link Wrote: www.gamedesign.jp/flash/chatnoir/chatnoir_jp.html

Fixed your link.

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Kirby - 05-12-2012

A few miles outside of Milwaukee, about an hour (Eightball or Kase could be more accurate?) from Chicago.

Have 89 average ping to my server in Chicago, with 16 hops.

55-65 ping and around 9 hops from home in Maine, half a continent away.

???

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Dr. Zaius - 05-12-2012

(05-12-2012, 12:34 AM)Elder link Wrote: /www.gamedesign.jp/flash/chatnoir/chatnoir_jp.html

more like lucking out on the way the dots generate

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Versus - 05-12-2012

(05-12-2012, 08:54 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: [quote author=Elder link=topic=1507.msg245014#msg245014 date=1336800845]
/www.gamedesign.jp/flash/chatnoir/chatnoir_jp.html

more like lucking out on the way the dots generate
[/quote]

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - [SiN] Merc - 05-16-2012

韓雪熙-God Hand 2

I've always been a fan of magic tricks.

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Saxxy - 05-16-2012

http://youtu.be/s9JDJdaMs-Y

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - Azure_Angel - 05-16-2012

Wasn't sure where to put this, or if it's already been posted, but I'll leave this here.

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]

Additional notes from the author:
If you want to learn more about Tesla, I highly recommend reading Tesla: Man Out of Time

There's an old movie from the 80s on Netflix Instant Queue right now about Tesla: The Secret of Nikola Tesla. It's corny and full of bad acting, but it paints a fairly accurate depiction of his life.

The drunk history of Tesla is quite awesome, too.

"X-rays: just to clarify, Tesla did not discover x-rays, but he was one of the early pioneers in its research."

"Cryogenic engineering: I'm referring to the cryogenic engineering that has to do with using liquified air to cool a coil and reduce its electrical resistance (Patent No. 11,865), not freezing people and waking them up in the future so they can fight Wesley Snipes."

"Transistor: Tesla's influence on the modern transistor can be found in patents 723,188 and 725,605. (a better explanation here)"

Radio: Tesla was the nicest geek ever until he decided to sue Marconi a few years later. 8 months after Tesla died, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Marconi's patents on the invention of radio. So Tesla eventually won that battle, although he was dead by then.

"Tesla VS Edison: I could write a novel on the differences between Tesla and Edison, but seeing as how this comic is already huge I decided to leave many things out. For instance, Edison killed cats and dogs, but Tesla loved animals and had a cat as a child. Originally Tesla wanted to be a poet, but after getting zapped by static electricity from his kitty he was inspired to study the effects of electricity. One could vaguely construe that Tesla's cat was responsible for the second industrial revolution, which arguably makes it the most awesome cat who ever lived.
Edison believed that fossil fuels were the future and that there were enough resources in South America to provide for the next 50,000 years. Tesla believed that renewable energy sources like hydroelectric, solar, and wind power were the future. This is remarkable because in the 1890s there was no such thing as "going green," so Tesla's ideas on conservation were very forward-thinking at the time."

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - at0m - 05-17-2012

@the above, those are some of the many reasons my cat was named Nikola Tesla.

Re: Neat stuff (non-lulz but interesting things) - rumsfald - 05-17-2012

another plug for Thunderstruck, which covers Marconi's quest for coast-to-coast wireless. It doesn't paint Marconi in an overly favorable light - more like he was at the right place at the right time.

Also, obligatory.

maybe Tesla does the Astro
Maybe Edison is AC/DC

Astro - The White Stripes