Be Right Back, Uninstalling
Wireless Routers - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Technology (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Forum: Computers (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: Wireless Routers (/showthread.php?tid=8840)

Wireless Routers - Surf314 - 11-11-2008

I've had a WRT54G for a long time and am very happy with it.  But to wire my desktop up again I need to move my cable modem connection back upstairs (townhouse).  It's not a big place but the signal is pretty average going through the wood floor.  So that is kinda a bummer using it for my laptop and consoles.  I'm pretty sure I was able to play TF2 no problems though when it was upstairs.

So basically I'm wondering if I should buy a new router, and if so what recommendations you guys have for range and whatnot.  Also my laptop uses N  so that would be nice, I'd have no worries playing downstairs.  So if there is one <$50 you can recommend I could probably afford it nowish but if you guys think there is a really good one I'd be happy with over that I'll just wait.

Re: Wireless Routers - HeK - 11-11-2008

The pole antennas on most access points are made for horizontal, or fan-like signal, they do not work as well for elevation.
You can move your access point to a more central point in your house, get a different antenna, get an amp, etc.
You can also try one of the linux-based firmwares for the WRT54G that boost your output.

In the end wired>wireless, so just buy a box of copper and start punching holes in the wall.

Re: Wireless Routers - Eschatos - 11-11-2008

My computer is 15 feet above my families wireless router, and I do tend to have laggier internet than I'd like.  Nothing I can really do about it though.  My mom isn't too friendly to the idea of me drilling a hole in the ceiling to stick a wire through.

Re: Wireless Routers - Fail Medic - 11-11-2008

Eschatos, this is probably a retarded thing to ask, but anyway, do your antennas have a pivot point at the connection?  If you fold them down so they're parallel with the "ground", does it help the signal or not really?

Re: Wireless Routers - Eschatos - 11-11-2008

(11-11-2008, 06:18 PM)Fail Medic link Wrote: Eschatos, this is probably a retarded thing to ask, but anyway, do your antennas have a pivot point at the connection?  If you fold them down so they're parallel with the "ground", does it help the signal or not really?

Yeah, I think it does have one.  I've never done anything other than randomly point it, but you've just inspired me to test it out.

Re: Wireless Routers - rumsfald - 11-11-2008

Just make sure you do your research and get a silent one, as wireless gear can be pretty noisy.

Re: Wireless Routers - copulatingduck - 11-11-2008

(11-11-2008, 11:42 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: Just make sure you do your research and get a silent one, as wireless gear can be pretty noisy.

didn't even have to click to know what this was gonna be :'-D