Be Right Back, Uninstalling
For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - Printable Version

+- Be Right Back, Uninstalling (https://www.brbuninstalling.com)
+-- Forum: Technology (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Forum: Computers (https://www.brbuninstalling.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. (/showthread.php?tid=9173)

For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - ainmosni - 12-29-2008

As is well known I don't do anything except game in windows....

But for those of you who do single boot windows and use it in every day life: here is an index of a lot of nice howtos and tips to improve your life in the OS.

Just saw it in my RSS reader and thought some people here might appreciate it more than I would.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - CaffeinePowered - 12-29-2008

+1 because lifehacker is awesome

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - rumsfald - 12-29-2008

-1 because this list does not teach me how to get it to stop crashing.

zing.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - Blues - 12-29-2008

"Turn Your Windows PC into a Media Center Powerhouse On the Cheap"

I lol'd

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - Fail Medic - 12-29-2008

Thanks, Ainmosni, I'm following each link down two or three levels.  It has already led me to a neat keyword launcher, Executor, that may find a place in my heart.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - Vlambo - 12-29-2008

I <3 Lifehacker

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - copulatingduck - 12-30-2008

Call me jaded, but... I used to love lifehacker, but the quality and/or pertinence of most of their articles applied to my everyday life has gone down a lot. They also seem to have stolen a line from "blogospam" or whatever it's called, copy-pasting articles they've seen on other sites without bothering to confirm or test some of the things they recommend. The specifics elude me right now, but I remember trying a piece of software that came down from LH "highly recommended" that blue-screened my computer, as well as lot of others' in the comments. Make is where it's at.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - rumsfald - 12-30-2008

(12-30-2008, 01:23 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Call me jaded, but... I used to love lifehacker Gawker rags, but the quality and/or pertinence of most of their articles applied to my everyday life has gone down a lot.

Make is where it's at.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - HeK - 12-30-2008

(12-30-2008, 06:19 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=2093.msg59184#msg59184 date=1230618189]
Call me jaded, but... I used to love lifehacker Gawker rags, but the quality and/or pertinence of most of their articles applied to my everyday life has gone down a lot.

Make is where it's at.
[/quote]

I still enjoy Gizmodo and Jalopnik. I just noticed today that Gawker no longer advertises any affiliation with Fleshbot. They still appear to be in operation, but sans links to the other sites; I guess they were dropped Sad

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - ScottyGrayskull - 12-30-2008

(12-30-2008, 07:35 AM)HeK link Wrote: I just noticed today that Gawker no longer advertises any affiliation with Fleshbot. They still appear to be in operation, but sans links to the other sites; I guess they were dropped Sad

If they stay in operation I only see that as a good thing. I stopped reading after they switched from a 10-20 posts a day to seemingly a one-liner post every 5 minutes. Even looking now I absolutely despise their layout, which is the same reason I stopped reading Kotaku.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - at0m - 01-21-2009

(12-29-2008, 04:37 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: +1 because lifehacker is awesome

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - Eschatos - 01-21-2009

I'm fine with XP the way it is. I should get around to messing around with it but I don't feel a need.

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - shoopfox - 01-21-2009

(12-30-2008, 07:35 AM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=rumsfald link=topic=2093.msg59226#msg59226 date=1230635944]
[quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=2093.msg59184#msg59184 date=1230618189]
Call me jaded, but... I used to love lifehacker Gawker rags, but the quality and/or pertinence of most of their articles applied to my everyday life has gone down a lot.

Make is where it's at.
[/quote]

I still enjoy Gizmodo and Jalopnik. I just noticed today that Gawker no longer advertises any affiliation with Fleshbot. They still appear to be in operation, but sans links to the other sites; I guess they were dropped Sad
[/quote]

They sold Consumerist too. I like Consumerist, but it can be hit or miss sometimes

Re: For people who do things beside gaming in windows. - HeK - 01-21-2009

I just noticed how much more content Engadget covered over Gizmodo.

I do like the comments on Gizmodo more.