Hello There, Guest! Register

dammit the furry jokes about me are spreading :(
erraticferret
Erotic Ferret

07-28-2008, 06:59 AM

(07-28-2008, 02:47 AM)Sarin link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie link=topic=978.msg25449#msg25449 date=1217224012]
[quote author=jdub28 link=topic=978.msg25446#msg25446 date=1217223665]
Im still not quite sure what a furry is ( ok you like human-animals, do you draw them or something) but for all of us that grew up in the 90's arent we somewhat furry. Sonic, Ninja Turtles, Looneytoons, Disney, Just about every other platform character besides Mario, everyone had an anamorphic hero.It seems itsa no diffrent than the comic or sports communities.

That is correct.
[/quote]

Still, not everyone fantasises about Sonic autofelating himself Tongue
[/quote]

Give it some time. The rate kids are growing up these days, Your great-grandkids' Saturday morning programs may just be a lot more interesting than ours.

Oh no! You walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking Grue!

Restore, Restart or Quit?

fyre
BRB, Posting

07-28-2008, 07:55 AM

(07-27-2008, 09:34 PM)ScottyGrayskull link Wrote: [Image: duty_calls.png]

QFT

(07-28-2008, 06:59 AM)erraticferret link Wrote: ...Your great-grandkids' Saturday morning programs may just be a lot more interesting than ours.

I'm sure they will be.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-28-2008, 08:34 AM

(07-28-2008, 02:10 AM)cannedpeaches link Wrote: 75% of the reason why the furry fundom emerges: A) Closer kinship to animals than humans during early childhood (or lack of appropriate human interaction)....

B) Disney

IAWTC, modern entertainment has gone so far in personifying animals I guess it would make since that eventually people would animalify (???) themselves.  I think the big point about hatred though is that those that practice it almost always have fear of something at the root of it.  Fear of not being accepted, fear of one of their weird things being held up to the light and made fun of, general lack of confidence, etc.  I mean you can not agree with something and not find the need to launch a campaign against it.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Neonie

07-28-2008, 09:09 AM

(07-28-2008, 08:34 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=cannedpeaches link=topic=978.msg25461#msg25461 date=1217229028]
75% of the reason why the furry fundom emerges: A) Closer kinship to animals than humans during early childhood (or lack of appropriate human interaction)....

B) Disney

IAWTC, modern entertainment has gone so far in personifying animals I guess it would make since that eventually people would animalify (???) themselves.  I think the big point about hatred though is that those that practice it almost always have fear of something at the root of it.  Fear of not being accepted, fear of one of their weird things being held up to the light and made fun of, general lack of confidence, etc.  I mean you can not agree with something and not find the need to launch a campaign against it.
[/quote]

Edit: I retract. 
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM by Neonie.)
Surf314

07-28-2008, 09:13 AM

(07-28-2008, 09:09 AM)Neonie link Wrote: Aside from that:

Your main point, that most people have a fear of something at the root of it, I would consider highly incorrect. Do the people who consider them selves gamers have a fear of something at the root of it? Does an interest have to be mainstream for their not to be something seriously fucking wrong with you to like it?

I meant that most hatred has fear at the root of it, which I'm pretty sure is true (in fact I bet there are plenty of psychologists that would argue that all hatred does).

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2008, 09:30 AM by Surf314.)
Neonie

07-28-2008, 09:16 AM

(07-28-2008, 09:13 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie link=topic=978.msg25502#msg25502 date=1217254186]
Aside from that:

Your main point, that most people have a fear of something at the root of it, I would consider highly incorrect. Do the people who consider them selves gamers have a fear of something at the root of it? Does an interest have to be mainstream for their not to be something seriously fucking wrong with you to like it?

I meant that most hatred has fear at the root of it, which I'm pretty sure is true (in fact I bet there are plenty of psychologists that would argue that all hatred does).
[/quote]

Oh well that I agree with. Sorry I literally JUST woke up and read it that the fandom had fear. My bad.
Budr

07-28-2008, 09:20 AM

(07-28-2008, 09:09 AM)Neonie link Wrote: One of the biggest, longest, nastiest  Encyclipedia dramatica entry s on ONE particular furry that I believe is the 7th longest article on ED was written by an autistic kid. (Which it was explained to me: Means this fucker didn't even know he was hurting anyone by writing it). 

Do I blame the austisc kid? Fuck no, I blame the fact that shit dramatica hasn't taken the article down even though the source writing the article has REAL mental problems.

Oh dear. That's the most urban myth sounding tale I've heard in some while. Does that not strike you as the sort of response you might expect from someone taking an overly defensive stance against the article? I don't really have an opinion either way but I would bet that there are trolls on both sides and citing the other party's mental deficiancy seems like a typical ad hominem response when a strong argument cannot be made.
Neonie

07-28-2008, 09:23 AM

(07-28-2008, 09:20 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie link=topic=978.msg25502#msg25502 date=1217254186]
One of the biggest, longest, nastiest  Encyclipedia dramatica entry s on ONE particular furry that I believe is the 7th longest article on ED was written by an autistic kid. (Which it was explained to me: Means this fucker didn't even know he was hurting anyone by writing it). 

Do I blame the austisc kid? Fuck no, I blame the fact that shit dramatica hasn't taken the article down even though the source writing the article has REAL mental problems.

Oh dear. That's the most urban myth sounding tale I've heard in some while. Does that not strike you as the sort of response you might expect from someone taking an overly defensive stance against the article? I don't really have an opinion either way but I would bet that there are trolls on both sides and citing the other party's mental deficiancy seems like a typical ad hominem response when a strong argument cannot be made.
[/quote]

I was just going by what I had been told about it  by one of my friends who knew a lot more about it then I did :-X
Surf314

07-28-2008, 09:31 AM

*edit this was a response to Neonies comments about autism but it was so damn long I decided just to repost it by itself.

Also on your other point, my little brother is autistic.  It is a highly misunderstood disease, which is sad because it has been growing a lot lately.  Although that's excusable because the people that study it don't seem to understand that much about it either.  But there is a range that goes from aspergers syndrome to highly autistic and the root of it seems to be that your brain is rewired in some strange way that hurts social interaction.  At the aspergers end of the scale you are very functional but have a hard time relating to people.  You are actually biologically wired against empathy.  These people have trouble understanding other people's emotions and will often not need or want social interaction with others which is hard for us to understand.  They have to be trained to do things we find natural, like all the unspoken rules that come with basic interaction.  This could be why some are known for being very insulting, they don't understand what insulting even is and if they seem to its because they were taught how to recognize it and avoid it and not out of actual understanding.

On the severe level they are often mistaken for being mentally retarded as they are actually locked inside their own head.  The most severe can't speak at all, the only way that they've been able to tell that they are not mentally retarded is through a lot of effort they have been able to teach some autistic people at the severe end of the range to type.  One of these in particular writes extremely eloquently and makes beautiful poetry.  He is one of the greatest windows researchers have had into the mind of a severely autistic person, in fact it's so perfect that many refuse to believe it and think its some sort of an elaborate hoax.  There are many other people at various points of the spectrum that have become famous for something or other because one of the strange side effects is the ability to concentrate extremely well on one thing.  The guy that invented torrents for example is autistic and I read on article where he works something like 16 hour days and has trouble remembering to eat.  There is another guy who invented his own city in his head.  He can draw any portion of it, describe the architecture, and list off the demographics.  This goes beyond just making it up as he goes as he is always consistent, it is literally in his mind complete at all times.  There is also someone who can see anything and then later redraw it completely accurately no matter how complex.  Even Bill Gates is known to suffer from aspergers, which is why he is so awkward if you've ever seen him.

My brother falls somewhere in the middle, he's not highly functioning but he can speak.  The only thing is he can't seem to understand sentence structure.  It is very much like speaking to a robot in that he understands that certain sentences and combination of words mean certain things but he can't understand how to recombine them in his head.  He says the sentences as a whole as he learned them to apply to a certain meaning.  He is not retarded though and is actually a pretty decent student, most autistic people can do very well when they can write or type, for some reason it is specifically speech that gives them the most trouble outside of social interactions.

rumsfald

07-28-2008, 10:21 AM

(07-28-2008, 08:34 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=cannedpeaches link=topic=978.msg25461#msg25461 date=1217229028]
75% of the reason why the furry fundom emerges: A) Closer kinship to animals than humans during early childhood (or lack of appropriate human interaction)....

B) Disney

IAWTC, modern entertainment has gone so far in personifying animals I guess it would make since that eventually people would animalify (???) themselves. 
[/quote]

If that were true, then why hasn't the Transformers, Lost in Space, M.A.S.K., and the rest spawned armies oversexed robot-people?
[me=rumsfald]googles[/me]

OH. MY. GOD.

[Image: freerobotsex.jpg]

Edit: thread got all serious when I was half-way through this post and got distracted with work. For the serious folks, here, learn about a famous autism researcher with autism speak for herself.
fyre
BRB, Posting

07-28-2008, 10:59 AM

[Image: serious_business.jpg]
hawtpawkithero
Lurker

07-28-2008, 11:32 AM

(07-28-2008, 09:31 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: *edit this was a response to Neonies comments about autism but it was so damn long I decided just to repost it by itself.

Also on your other point, my little brother is autistic.  It is a highly misunderstood disease, which is sad because it has been growing a lot lately.  Although that's excusable because the people that study it don't seem to understand that much about it either.  But there is a range that goes from aspergers syndrome to highly autistic and the root of it seems to be that your brain is rewired in some strange way that hurts social interaction.  At the aspergers end of the scale you are very functional but have a hard time relating to people.  You are actually biologically wired against empathy.  These people have trouble understanding other people's emotions and will often not need or want social interaction with others which is hard for us to understand.  They have to be trained to do things we find natural, like all the unspoken rules that come with basic interaction.  This could be why some are known for being very insulting, they don't understand what insulting even is and if they seem to its because they were taught how to recognize it and avoid it and not out of actual understanding.

On the severe level they are often mistaken for being mentally retarded as they are actually locked inside their own head.  The most severe can't speak at all, the only way that they've been able to tell that they are not mentally retarded is through a lot of effort they have been able to teach some autistic people at the severe end of the range to type.  One of these in particular writes extremely eloquently and makes beautiful poetry.  He is one of the greatest windows researchers have had into the mind of a severely autistic person, in fact it's so perfect that many refuse to believe it and think its some sort of an elaborate hoax.  There are many other people at various points of the spectrum that have become famous for something or other because one of the strange side effects is the ability to concentrate extremely well on one thing.  The guy that invented torrents for example is autistic and I read on article where he works something like 16 hour days and has trouble remembering to eat.  There is another guy who invented his own city in his head.  He can draw any portion of it, describe the architecture, and list off the demographics.  This goes beyond just making it up as he goes as he is always consistent, it is literally in his mind complete at all times.  There is also someone who can see anything and then later redraw it completely accurately no matter how complex.  Even Bill Gates is known to suffer from aspergers, which is why he is so awkward if you've ever seen him.

My brother falls somewhere in the middle, he's not highly functioning but he can speak.  The only thing is he can't seem to understand sentence structure.  It is very much like speaking to a robot in that he understands that certain sentences and combination of words mean certain things but he can't understand how to recombine them in his head.  He says the sentences as a whole as he learned them to apply to a certain meaning.  He is not retarded though and is actually a pretty decent student, most autistic people can do very well when they can write or type, for some reason it is specifically speech that gives them the most trouble outside of social interactions.

tl;dr

[Image: 1260992540627.gif]
Surf314

07-28-2008, 11:37 AM

(07-28-2008, 11:32 AM)hawtpawkithero link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=978.msg25516#msg25516 date=1217255470]
*long quote

tl;dr

[/quote]

:'(

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

07-28-2008, 12:02 PM

(07-28-2008, 11:37 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=hawtpawkithero link=topic=978.msg25544#msg25544 date=1217262721]
[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=978.msg25516#msg25516 date=1217255470]
*long quote

tl;dr

[/quote]

:'(
[/quote]

dw surf, i read it all, studied autism at college for a while as a side project,

In summary:
its a vast spectrum of disorders ranging from not understanding basic social happenings (body language, facial expressions)
to being confused by anything, and not understanding even what you say or what you might accidentaly mean by the things you say, the higher funcionality is usualy something they can obsess about, trains, cars a certain tv show, talking to autistic people can be like talking to someone who doesnt completely speak your language, they can kind of understand, but will never know the finer points of a conversation. not all autistic people do obsess over something, or have higher functionailty.

also, i doubt someone with autism/aspergers would write an ED article about another person, it doesnt fit typical behaviour.

also also, lol surfs a furry.

chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

07-28-2008, 01:01 PM

(07-28-2008, 10:21 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=978.msg25484#msg25484 date=1217252072]
[quote author=cannedpeaches link=topic=978.msg25461#msg25461 date=1217229028]

B) Disney

IAWTC, modern entertainment has gone so far in personifying animals I guess it would make since that eventually people would animalify (???) themselves. 
[/quote]

If that were true, then why hasn't the Transformers, Lost in Space, M.A.S.K., and the rest spawned armies oversexed robot-people?
[me=rumsfald]googles[/me][/quote]
Oversexed robot-people?

(NSFW) It's more likely than you think. (NSFW)

Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

07-28-2008, 02:00 PM

(07-28-2008, 10:59 AM)fyre link Wrote: [Image: serious_business.jpg]

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

07-28-2008, 04:04 PM

[Image: whysosrs.jpg]

erraticferret
Erotic Ferret

07-28-2008, 07:30 PM

(07-27-2008, 11:34 PM)erraticferret link Wrote: I don't like this post either Big Grin - Joel

Ah, well. I guess sarcasm doesn't read that well over the internet. Especially when it involves delicious E-drama like this.

Sorry. ;.;

Oh no! You walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking Grue!

Restore, Restart or Quit?

Squishy3
Closet Furry

07-28-2008, 08:58 PM

little know fact about me: I have aspergers, yet I don't act like it at all. I'm completely social, and never have had that problem again, except for my really moody days where I have no tolerance for anything. funny thing is I've known some people for close to 3 years now, and none of them even knew I had aspergers, which shows how far I've really come. all thanks to my best friends at my job. Smile also fuck you I am not a goddamn furry assholes.

Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

07-28-2008, 09:03 PM

the fox on the left states otherwise.