Hello There, Guest! Register

Favorite food/recipes
rumsfald

02-13-2010, 02:33 PM

for nostaglia's sake, I picked up some cornish hens for the week-end. Not sure what to do with them yet, besides obvious roasting.  That, and this bitchen meatball recipe.  Seriously, the lemon zest in those meatballs is like wow.

BTW, since I missed this earlier, I've had several sets of steal throughout the years, no ceramic, just ceramic pieces here and there (schlemmertopf, covered and flat caseroles). Never had the need for ceramic stovetopwear (probably cause I have some old-school griswold iron cast from yard-sales). I've had gas, induction, and electric over the years and immensely prefer gas, then induction, but unfortunately stuck with lectric coils in most of my apartment living, including now.
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

02-13-2010, 02:37 PM

A chef to my school and made us some Risotto Alla Parmigiana (Rice with Parmesan) which was nom-licious. Definitely going to try it again with some shrimp or something.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

02-13-2010, 03:38 PM

(02-13-2010, 02:33 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: bitchen meatball recipe

thx for that, looks delicious, think I'll try it next week

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-13-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm not exactly known for "healthy" cooking. So I'll give you a couple things. The first thing I made tonight. I took some string cheese, wrapped it in bacon, put it through an egg wash with flour and bread crumbs. And deep fried it. Yes, bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks. This next thing is a favorite of my family.

This is Dtrain's Badass Chili:

You'll need the following ingredients:

1 lbs. Ground Beef
1 lbs. Ground Pork
3-4 links of Chorizo (spanish)
2 heads of fresh garlic
1 large yellow onion
2 boxes of Beef stock
1 quart of V8 juice
2-3 sprigs of fresh oregano
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 green Jalepeno
1 red Jalepeno
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cumin
Chipotle chili powder
Kosher Salt
Cracked black pepper

Brown all the meat in a pan with a little bit of olive oil
while the meat is browning combine all the wet ingredients into a large pot over medium heat
chop the garlic and onion and add to pot
take the thyme and oregano and remove the leaves from the stems and add leaves to the pot
add meat to the pot
add the spices (garlic powder, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, salt, and pepper)
pour about 1.5 cups of water to pot
heat covered on medium for about 2 hours or until the liquid reduces by 1/3rd

enjoy

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-13-2010, 11:00 PM

(02-13-2010, 10:59 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: I'm not exactly known for "healthy" cooking. So I'll give you a couple things. The first thing I made tonight. I took some string cheese, wrapped it in bacon, put it through an egg wash with flour and bread crumbs. And deep fried it. Yes, bacon wrapped mozzarella sticks. This next thing is a favorite of my family.

This is Dtrain's Badass Chili:

You'll need the following ingredients:

1 lbs. Ground Beef
1 lbs. Ground Pork
3-4 links of Chorizo (spanish)
2 heads of fresh garlic
1 large yellow onion
2 boxes of Beef stock
1 quart of V8 juice
2-3 sprigs of fresh oregano
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 green Jalepeno
1 red Jalepeno
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cumin
Chipotle chili powder
Kosher Salt
Cracked black pepper
hot sauce of your choice

Brown all the meat in a pan with a little bit of olive oil
while the meat is browning combine all the wet ingredients into a large pot over medium heat
chop the garlic and onion and add to pot
take the thyme and oregano and remove the leaves from the stems and add leaves to the pot
add meat to the pot
add the spices (garlic powder, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, salt, and pepper)
pour about 1.5 cups of water to pot
heat covered on medium for about 2 hours or until the liquid reduces by 1/3rd

enjoy

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

02-14-2010, 08:50 AM

(02-13-2010, 10:59 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: chili

no beans??

beyond that seems like a promising recipe, i'll have to write this one down Smile (I don't use nearly enough fresh ingredients for my chili so I've been working on incorporating bits and pieces from other recipes)

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

02-14-2010, 11:15 AM

(02-14-2010, 08:50 AM)Duck link Wrote: [quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=85.msg136761#msg136761 date=1266119986]
chili

no beans??

beyond that seems like a promising recipe, i'll have to write this one down Smile (I don't use nearly enough fresh ingredients for my chili so I've been working on incorporating bits and pieces from other recipes)
[/quote]

Ive had his chili before, its pretty good, though I'd probably add beans too  :-X

http://www.goonswithspoons.com <-This owns

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Beans don't belong in chili you damn yankee queers.  ;D

I actually whistled up a batch of it today. Apologies for the cell phone pictures.

Here is the beef being browned:
[Image: utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTAtMjAxMDAyMTQtMTUzN.jpg]

Then the ground pork:
[Image: utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTItMjAxMDAyMTQtMTU0N.jpg]

Then uncased Italian sausage, I normally use chorizo here but they didn't have any at the grocery store and I wasn't driving over the Whole Foods to get some.
[Image: utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTMtMjAxMDAyMTQtMTU1M.jpg]

Then I started the base. It consists of Beef Stock, Tomato Sauce, V8 Juice, and about 2 cups of water
[Image: utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTEtMjAxMDAyMTQtMTUzN.jpg]

After everything is browned, I chopped up some onion, red, and green bell peppers (wife bought the wrong kind, its normally jalepenos)
[Image: utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTYtMjAxMDAyMTQtMTYxN.jpg]

Now everything is finished and it's time to eat. Sidearm is a Smith & Wesson 1076 chambered in 10mm Auto. It is my concealed carry gun.
[Image: utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAxMDAyMTQtMTgwN.jpg]

Wedge
I make Reavers my Bitch

02-14-2010, 09:26 PM

That's not chili, that's meat soup =/.

(09-11-2008, 05:11 PM)Dave link Wrote:i would totaly ride that gay ass dragon thing.
rumsfald

02-14-2010, 10:06 PM

that's a nice chili recipe. couple of suggestions

1) if you aren't already getting that meat ground for you at point of purchase, grind your own meat (hush versus). don't buy pre-ground shrinkwrapped stuff. chuck cut for beef and pork butt shoulder cut for pork are great, cheap, and you will notice the freshness. I use a meat grinder attachment for a kitchen-aid mixer because I love multi-taskers.

2) the salt, pepper, and especially cumin can (and should) be added to the meat before browning. will intensify the meat flavor. you can salt and pepper again later as you adjust the profile of the whole dish.

3) booze+tomatoes in sauce=win. while reducing the v8, throw in some ETOH. you can use whatever is onhand, a shot of vodka, shot of whisky, some beer, I prefer red wine, but really most any alcohol + tomatoes helps the flavors to blend.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

02-14-2010, 10:10 PM

(02-14-2010, 08:51 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: Beans don't belong in chili you damn yankee queers.  ;D

this

also rummy, i am glad i checked this thread

Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

02-14-2010, 10:31 PM

(02-14-2010, 10:06 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: that's a nice chili recipe. couple of suggestions

1) if you aren't already getting that meat ground for you at point of purchase, grind your own meat (hush versus). don't buy pre-ground shrinkwrapped stuff. chuck cut for beef and pork butt shoulder cut for pork are great, cheap, and you will notice the freshness. I use a meat grinder attachment for a kitchen-aid mixer because I love multi-taskers.

2) the salt, pepper, and especially cumin can (and should) be added to the meat before browning. will intensify the meat flavor. you can salt and pepper again later as you adjust the profile of the whole dish.

3) booze+tomatoes in sauce=win. while reducing the v8, throw in some ETOH. you can use whatever is onhand, a shot of vodka, shot of whisky, some beer, I prefer red wine, but really most any alcohol + tomatoes helps the flavors to blend.

i forgot to mention it, but there is beer in the base. Sam Adams Octoberfest to be precise. I do normally get my meats straight from a butcher in town but my wife was at the store so i had to work with what she bought.

Professor Funbucks

03-01-2010, 07:30 PM

NOT SAFE FOR 56K/SCROLL FINGER
Found the thread, yay!
Ok, so tonight, i was looking at the like 5 spices in my cabinets and decided to try something
Here's Italian Herb and Cheese Chicken. I got the idea from the Subway bread that is always godly and delicious.
Anyways, preheat oven to 400F. I lightly added the Italian spice onto the chicken before it went into the oven
[Image: IMGP0062.jpg]
Next, shred your cheese...I used some nice marble cheese I found at a cheese place on the byward market downtown.
[Image: IMGP0063.jpg]
Here's a pic of the italian herb spice i used.
[Image: IMGP0073.jpg]
Here is the 19 minute mark, where I put my cheese onto the chicken as evenly as I could.
[Image: IMGP0076.jpg]
Cook for another 4 minutes and BAM
[Image: IMGP0079.jpg]
and yes I did use a paper plate, while trying to class it up with some celery leaves. University ftw
[Image: IMGP0084.jpg]
Deeeeelicious!
Total prep time:~30 mins
Cook time: 23-25 minutes at 400F, Bake.
Easy and quick to make!
chronomaster
BBP Gardevoir

03-30-2010, 01:21 AM

Reviving a thread with something awesome.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article....creamgyoza

rumsfald

05-09-2010, 07:00 PM

[Image: img00099201005081421.jpg]

Foie Gras Hot dog, with house-cured bacon, sauteed chantrelle mushrooms, and dijonaise. I found a local salumeria.
PyroZombie
BRB, Posting

05-09-2010, 07:57 PM

I'm not trusted near fire.

[Image: zombie_che_sticker_400.jpg]

Blue Crew.....I got nothing flashy set up.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-10-2010, 07:46 AM

I hate you people and your ability to eat hot dogs with toppings.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

05-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Placeholder for my Cast Iron Skillet Ribeye Steak and roasted golden potatoes.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

05-10-2010, 08:53 AM

I'm adding Rice Risotto to this list.
rumsfald

05-10-2010, 03:33 PM

(05-10-2010, 08:53 AM)Karth del Top Hat link Wrote: I'm adding Rice Risotto to this list.
As opposed to potato risotto?