Hello There, Guest! Register

Content Calling
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

04-13-2010, 11:30 AM

(04-13-2010, 09:14 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=Dtrain323i link=topic=4317.msg146663#msg146663 date=1271167876]
I can review guns.  ;D

Compare the guns in BC2 with their IRL counterparts.
[/quote]

I can complain about why the XM8 in game doesn't melt under sustained full auto fire like it's RL counterpart.  Tongue

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

04-19-2010, 09:28 AM

Gay Spore here, stealing the vessel of a body that is my counterpart Spore to bring this review for a game gifted yesterday to him. Pictures will be coming soon. I literally wrote this at four in the morning, so I'm sorry if it sucks.

WIPWIPWIPWIPWIPWIPWIPWIP
Name: Beat Hazard
Developer: Cold Beam Games
Publisher: Cold Beam Games
Release Date: October 29th, 2009
Platforms: PC (Reviewed)
DRM: Steam

LSD was first developed with psychadelic properties in 1942 by a European scientist, five years after its initial discovery. Since then, it has been used heavily by the teenage demographic over the years to implement such visions and leave lasting effects on both the physical and mental state. Beat Hazard, developed by Cold Beam Games, is the closest phenomena one can experience to LSD while traveling aimlessly, blindly, furiously through an Asteroids-Audiosurf-Geometry-Wars-iTunes-visualizer bullet-hell. Released through Steam at a cool ten bucks, it's a wonder how far ten dollars can stretch when the possibilities reach as far as your music library.

The concept is simple - controlling a spaceship in a rectangular universe, the player must maneuver their ship in a WASD ballet as it has one objective - to live, one way or another, through the song chosen. Working a bit as Audiosurf does, the game takes songs used in the different folders of your music library to feed as the pulse and basis for each level. The tempo and rhythm of each song is taken into account, as distribution of ammo and powerups are planned accordingly. A slowed, hushed tempo, much like a nervous man urinating in a public bathroom, will be restricted and slow with delivery - a contrasting pace that's hurried and thumping will pulsate and ripple. The stars and dissipating color that serves as a backdrop flickers and flashes with each step of a kick drum pedal.

The result of all this is a chaotic, bumrushing plethora of unabashed lights and sounds. Visually, the game excels in the sense that an iTunes visualizer with twenty times the effort put into it wouldn't even begin to match. Colors blend seamlessly and fade as one resets a life. The powerups are simple - one for a score multiplier, as well as increasing the power of your weapons, a superbomb, and Volume. Volume increases, as one might assume, the ability for the song to be heard. It affects the rest of the player's abilities - when both Power and Volume levels reach maximum, Beat Hazard, the eponymous 'overdrive' mode, sends a harmonical beam piercing the central hail of bullets your ship will either trickle or shower upon the opposition. Upon receiving points at the end of a song, ranks are earned, and thus acheivments are unlocked with more and more, as well as point marks and a new difficulty not to be taken lightly in the slightest.

As seemingly blissful and wonderful as this game is, there are two outstanding factors that make this game less than perfect, the first and foremost being its bugginess. Quite unfinished upon release, the game will crash more than often enough to make one cringe and bang his fists in frustration. Radda radda radda I hate not being able to play one song because of a consistent crash. However, this will most likely be fixed with a patch hopefully to be subsequentlly released. Also, while the game is stunning to look once you get it going, there is the overwhelming factor that seizure seizure seizure holy shit epilepsy. DO NOT play this game past Normal difficuly(as opposed to Hardcore or Insane once unlocked) if you're either prone to have epileptic seizures or haven't gotten your sight checked lately.

Apart from these complaints in mind, there's absolutely nothing holding one back from getting Beat Hazard - if you're looking for something new from another round of Audiosurf, or just looking for an eyecandy/LSD simulator that'll last you for weeks, months at that, then this game is for you.
ENDWIPENDWIPENDWIPENDWIP

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM by Spore.)
Spore

04-19-2010, 09:30 AM

delete this plox im sorry ;w;

-gay spore

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2010, 09:33 AM by Spore.)
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

04-19-2010, 10:37 AM

hahahaahhah

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Tricks
BRB, Posting

04-19-2010, 11:37 AM

(04-19-2010, 10:37 AM)zaneyard link Wrote: hahahaahhah

I laughed quite a bit too=D

Nice work
Vandamguy

04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

im looking for the button to subscribe to gay spore
Gay Spore
Lurker

04-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Aw, you guys~ <3

I still suck at TF2...

but one day I'll rool.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-20-2010, 06:47 PM

(04-20-2010, 06:43 PM)Gay Spore link Wrote: Aw, you guys~ <3

Let me know when it is no longer a WIP then I will take a crack at it.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Gay Spore
Lurker

04-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Surf, I proofread/edited a little bit. All done~ Spore said he would upload a few pictures that could be used, so you'll have to bug him about that.

Name: Beat Hazard
Developer: Cold Beam Games
Publisher: Cold Beam Games
Release Date: October 29th, 2009
Platforms: PC (Reviewed), XBLA
DRM: Steam

LSD was first developed with psychedelic properties in 1942 by a European scientist, five years after its initial discovery. Since then, it has been used heavily by the teenage demographic over the years to implement such visions and leave lasting effects on both the physical and mental state. Beat Hazard, developed by Cold Beam Games, is the closest phenomena one can experience to LSD while traveling aimlessly, blindly, furiously through an Asteroids-Audiosurf-Geometry-Wars-iTunes-visualizer bullet-hell. Released through Steam at a cool ten bucks, it's a wonder how far ten dollars can stretch when the possibilities reach as far as your music library.

The concept is simple - controlling a spaceship in a rectangular universe, the player must maneuver their ship in a WASD ballet as it has one objective - to live, one way or another, through the song chosen. Working a bit as Audiosurf does, the game takes songs used in the different folders of your music library to feed as the pulse and basis for each level. The tempo and rhythm of each song is taken into account, as distribution of ammo and power ups are planned accordingly. A slowed, hushed tempo, much like a nervous man urinating in a public bathroom, will be restricted and slow with delivery - a contrasting pace that's hurried and thumping will pulsate and ripple. The stars and dissipating color that serves as a backdrop flickers and flashes with each step of a kick drum pedal.

The result of all this is a chaotic, bum-rushing plethora of unabashed lights and sounds. Visually, the game excels in the sense that an iTunes visualizer with twenty times the effort put into it wouldn't even begin to match. Colors blend seamlessly and fade as one resets a life. The power ups are simple - one for a score multiplier, as well as increasing the power of your weapons, a super bomb, and Volume. Volume increases, as one might assume, the ability for the song to be heard. It affects the rest of the player's abilities - when both Power and Volume levels reach maximum, Beat Hazard, the eponymous 'overdrive' mode, sends a harmonical beam piercing the central hail of bullets your ship will either trickle or shower upon the opposition. Upon receiving points at the end of a song, ranks are earned, and thus achievements are unlocked with more and more, as well as point marks and a new difficulty not to be taken lightly in the slightest.

As seemingly blissful and wonderful as this game is, there are two outstanding factors that make this game less than perfect, the first and foremost being its bugginess. Quite unfinished upon release, the game will crash more than often enough to make one cringe and bang his fists in frustration. Radda radda radda I hate not being able to play one song because of a consistent crash. However, this will most likely be fixed with a patch hopefully to be subsequently released.
[EDIT: A patch has been released since this review has been written.]

Also, while the game is stunning to look once you get it going, there is the overwhelming factor that seizure seizure seizure holy shit epilepsy is fun. DO NOT play this game past Normal difficulty(as opposed to Hardcore or Insane once unlocked) if you're either prone to have epileptic seizures or haven't gotten your sight checked lately.

Apart from these complaints in mind, there's absolutely nothing holding one back from getting Beat Hazard - if you're looking for something new from another round of Audiosurf, or just looking for an eyecandy/LSD simulator that'll last you for weeks, months at that, then this game is for you.

I still suck at TF2...

but one day I'll rool.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM by Gay Spore.)
Spore

04-20-2010, 07:22 PM

You should mention that the game is also out for XBLA in the header.

Edit: And I'll try to upload some pictures tonight before I head to Dallas for the week.

Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

04-20-2010, 10:59 PM

wtf is a WIP?

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

04-21-2010, 12:14 AM

work in progress, it's jargon

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

04-21-2010, 09:14 AM

should add a java IRC client to the forum. Might net an increase in traffic to the brbu channel

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-21-2010, 10:06 AM

(04-21-2010, 09:14 AM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: should add a java IRC client to the forum. Might net an increase in traffic to the brbu channel
There's already mibbit, which is infinitely better than a java client. And people that can't get on mibbit should be working anyways Tongue

Not that I really have any say on it, just sayin'.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Spore

04-22-2010, 09:45 PM

(04-21-2010, 09:14 AM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: should add a java IRC client to the forum. Might net an increase in traffic to the brbu channel

Chatbox at the top of the forum home is a good idea.

Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

04-23-2010, 07:37 AM

I'm not ignoring this review just waiting to see about some possible changes to the way we front page things.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-23-2010, 07:37 AM

(04-23-2010, 07:37 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: I'm not ignoring this review just waiting to see about some possible changes to the way we front page things.

Going to talk to HeK about that this weekend

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
HeK
Rotartsinimda

04-24-2010, 12:15 AM

(04-23-2010, 07:37 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=4317.msg148501#msg148501 date=1272026231]
I'm not ignoring this review just waiting to see about some possible changes to the way we front page things.

Going to talk to HeK about that this weekend
[/quote]

If you can find me, I've got a rally car to assemble!