Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Pick your poison
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Punctuation and complicated sentences are my bling and I'm the #1 stunnah
55.56%
15 55.56%
I like my sentences like I like my women/men: clean, simple and dead sexy
44.44%
12 44.44%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Grammar debate to death
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Since my wife was an English major and I was briefly journalism we approach language from different angles. Since we are nerds we argue about it. Our latest disagreement is about sprinkling your writing with lots of commas and unnessecary clauses. I think it makes things harder to read and serves no purpose than to show you are educated. The writing should stand on its own. She thinks it shows you are educated and challenges the reader to get on your level. What say ye?

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

08-07-2009, 01:22 PM

no, no, NO, no, no, yes, no again, and NO!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Have I failed English yet?
Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Oh god, any one who's read my writing will know that I'm HORRIBLE when it comes to run ons >.<

beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

08-07-2009, 01:27 PM

imho language is like coding

a confusing series of letters that i dont like

but other than that, it should be simple and re-useable
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

08-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Personally, I think complicated sentences can be sexy.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

08-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Imo sprinkling your writing with commas and such usually only serves to sate the writers ego more than anything. It's like people with word of the day calenders, just waiting for every opportunity to slide what they think is clever into a sentence when really the statement would be far less pretentious without it.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

Greatbacon
The Most Delicious of All Meats

08-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Big words and fancy rhetoric are to toys what clean and simple diction is to tools.

I like action figures as much as the next guy, but you can't build a city with them.
Neonie
The Alphabet has 24 Letters

08-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Downfall of Grammar

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

I hate commas, but I don't know any other way to make decent sentences.  Whenever I write anything I obsess over how many commas I have.

If-I-Die-Its-Lag
I Play Gaia Online

08-07-2009, 02:05 PM

Depends on the situation. School paper, yes. Brb.u forum, not really.
Sponson
BRB, Posting

08-07-2009, 02:08 PM

If theres a problem with too many commas, and a problem with not enough commas, why don't you two just hit a middle ground and make do with just enough commas?

[Image: unled1wl.png]
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

08-07-2009, 02:10 PM

(08-07-2009, 02:08 PM)Sponson link Wrote: If theres a problem with too many commas, and a problem with not enough commas, why don't you two just hit a middle ground and make do with just enough commas?

yes.

Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

08-07-2009, 02:11 PM

(08-07-2009, 02:10 PM)Versus-pwny- link Wrote: [quote author=Sponson link=topic=3418.msg104490#msg104490 date=1249672092]
If theres a problem with too many commas, and a problem with not enough commas, why don't you two just hit a middle ground and make do with just enough commas?

yes.
[/quote]

I sent that bitch a comma.

Bitches love commas.

(05-10-2009, 07:39 PM)Radio Raheem link Wrote:in the straightest way possible i have to say honest is by far the best looking person here

ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Get on my level.

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-07-2009, 03:08 PM

Now it's been a long time since I was in an english class, and maybe I was taught differently, but I have to ask: isn't your punctuation a little bit off in both those options?

edit: That said, I don't mind the grammar or punctuation so much if it's for a reason. For example, if the grammar and punctuation (or lack thereof) lend themselves to a a unique and authentic voice, then I don't mind it - I even appreciate it. But it's out of pure laziness (subjectively speaking of course), well... actually I don't really care that much. I have my friends that I nitpick on teh grammarz with, but they are all high school chums.

edit x2: in retrospect, I suppose that's why the poll read "pick your poison." QED ?

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM by copulatingduck.)
Benito Mussolini
1 More!

08-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Commas own.

I feel like there are a lot more in French than in English... I'm kind of used to put a lot of commas everywhere. However...

(08-07-2009, 01:19 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: I think it makes things harder to read and serves no purpose than to show you are educated. The writing should stand on its own. She thinks it shows you are educated and challenges the reader to get on your level. What say ye?

If commas are all you have to show you're educated, good luck getting on my level.

There is one thing that annoys me with commas, though.
Here's an example:

Honest is good looking, strong, sexy, and extremely macho.
WHY IS THIS                              ^  FUCKER HERE?
THERE IS NONE OF THAT IN FRENCH.

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
Honest
Ignoooore Meee, kupo

08-07-2009, 03:18 PM

*flex*

(08-07-2009, 03:08 PM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Now it's been a long time since I was in an english class, and maybe I was taught differently, but I have to ask: isn't your punctuation a little bit off in bother those options?

Durp

shadowcast
Alignment: Hungry

08-07-2009, 03:18 PM

(08-07-2009, 03:11 PM)Benit-DOG MOBILE-ini link Wrote: Commas own.

I feel like there are a lot more in French than in English... I'm kind of used to put a lot of commas everywhere. However...

[quote author=Surf314 link=topic=3418.msg104469#msg104469 date=1249669156]
I think it makes things harder to read and serves no purpose than to show you are educated. The writing should stand on its own. She thinks it shows you are educated and challenges the reader to get on your level. What say ye?

If commas are all you have to show you're educated, good luck getting on my level.

There is one thing that annoys me with commas, though.
Here's an example:

WHY IS THIS                              ^   FUCKER HERE?
THERE IS NONE OF THAT IN FRENCH.
[/quote]

That used to be correct in English.  Times have become more relaxed when it comes to getting rid of that third comma.  Example:

and
Honest is good looking, strong, sexy and extremely macho.

Both are currently accepted as being grammatically correct.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-07-2009, 03:21 PM

(08-07-2009, 03:18 PM)shadowcast link Wrote: Times have become more relaxed when it comes to getting rid of that third comma.  Example:

and
Honest is good looking, strong, sexy and extremely macho.

Both are currently accepted as being grammatically correct.

When did that happen? I was taught to keep all of the commas, though I'm from Texas so lesson plans prepared from textbooks straight out of the 80's was par for the course.

(08-07-2009, 03:18 PM)SUPER MACHO MAN link Wrote: *flex*

[quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=3418.msg104504#msg104504 date=1249675682]
Now it's been a long time since I was in an english class, and maybe I was taught differently, but I have to ask: isn't your punctuation a little bit off in bother those options?

Durp
[/quote]

I hate you and this fucking ergonomic keyboard. I spent so much time respelling shit and of course I miss the blatantly obvious
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2009, 03:24 PM by copulatingduck.)
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

08-07-2009, 03:22 PM

I think you are both wrong.

While it does show you are educated, that is not the purpose of such punctuation. It is, as far as I know, supposed to represent where pauses would be in actual conversation. If I were speaking with you, there would have been a pause right there where I put that comma. By including these representations of pauses the reader is supposed to get a better feel for the flow of what's printed.

Simpler sentences are not always better either. Some things can be said in one sentence rather than in several short little ones and it is often tiring or annoying to try and piece all the little tidbits together.

Also Shadowcast is right, both are currently grammatically acceptable.