Hello There, Guest! Register

Coffee & Tea Thread
commish
Lurker

04-25-2014, 06:03 PM

Coffee bitches!!

I found a new way to brew the hot black brew using a new machine. it's called an aeropress I'll let this guy explain how to make the coffee

http://youtu.be/48ics7oymw8

Taste test:
I've had 2 cups so far, my first was I made a double espresso by just using 2 scoops of drip coffee and a tiny bit of water and my second attempt I made a full cup, both times the coffee tasted very rich, very strong and not bitter. I also felt a surge of caffeine that I've never felt before the caffeine high was intense and I strongly recommend this easy to use/clean product.

I got mine from Amazon

Geoff: i've never had a sammich like this
Geoff: its so good
Dr. Commish: that recipe is yours forever now, keep it close and impress the lady of your dreams
Geoff: YOU GODDIT DOCTAH JONES
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Aeropress is delicious but labor-intensive compared to using a drip machine. It's also a PITA for making several cups for friends all at once (it can't).

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
rumbot
BRB, Posting

05-05-2014, 07:31 PM

(05-05-2014, 10:31 AM)at0m link Wrote: Aeropress is delicious but labor-intensive compared to using a drip machine.

120 seconds is a lot of labor?

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Then you have to clean it... And repeat...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rumbot
BRB, Posting

05-05-2014, 10:02 PM

no argument - it's not for making multiple cups for a crew

but the single-serve effort is comparable to other methods for solo caffeination.
commish
Lurker

05-05-2014, 10:39 PM

That is not true, when I bought it it also provided the explanation on how to fill a full carafe! I keep mine at work to make my morning cup with the instant hot water they offer. plus cleaning it is stupid simple, because the air tight plunger pushes everything down, all you do is remove the bottom filter cap, push the grounds into a garbage. Leave the plunger fully pushed down and rinse the bottom, do the filter cap next and boom done.

You can even rinse the paper filter with water let it dry and you can use it a second time.

Geoff: i've never had a sammich like this
Geoff: its so good
Dr. Commish: that recipe is yours forever now, keep it close and impress the lady of your dreams
Geoff: YOU GODDIT DOCTAH JONES
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2014, 10:40 PM by commish.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-06-2014, 08:07 AM

I'm never making coffee just for myself. I'm either making it for myself and my ladyfriend (8-9 "cups" out of my 12-cup pot), or myself and guests (either a full pot or several batches of espresso via my steam-driven press). Folger Black Silk coffee + mesh filter in a drip machine actually makes passable brew in a drip machine, although I use Lavazza in the espresso press. Tempted to start using a local roaster, Zeke's, but the best of that I've had has been served via French Press. I generally just suffer through the day caffeine-less if I'm solo, although I may shift my habits to use an Electric kettle + Chemex + Kone filter, depending on how things go on Massdrop in the near future.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014, 08:11 AM by at0m.)
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

05-06-2014, 08:53 AM

(05-06-2014, 08:07 AM)at0m link Wrote: I'm never making coffee just for myself. I'm either making it for myself and my ladyfriend (8-9 "cups" out of my 12-cup pot), or myself and guests (either a full pot or several batches of espresso via my steam-driven press). Folger Black Silk coffee + mesh filter in a drip machine actually makes passable brew in a drip machine, although I use Lavazza in the espresso press. Tempted to start using a local roaster, Zeke's, but the best of that I've had has been served via French Press. I generally just suffer through the day caffeine-less if I'm solo, although I may shift my habits to use an Electric kettle + Chemex + Kone filter, depending on how things go on Massdrop in the near future.

I really want a chemex. What is your opinion of it?

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-06-2014, 10:35 AM

(05-06-2014, 08:53 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=3524.msg278256#msg278256 date=1399381662]
I'm never making coffee just for myself. I'm either making it for myself and my ladyfriend (8-9 "cups" out of my 12-cup pot), or myself and guests (either a full pot or several batches of espresso via my steam-driven press). Folger Black Silk coffee + mesh filter in a drip machine actually makes passable brew in a drip machine, although I use Lavazza in the espresso press. Tempted to start using a local roaster, Zeke's, but the best of that I've had has been served via French Press. I generally just suffer through the day caffeine-less if I'm solo, although I may shift my habits to use an Electric kettle + Chemex + Kone filter, depending on how things go on Massdrop in the near future.

I really want a chemex. What is your opinion of it?
[/quote]They look pretty and I hear they make good coffee. I haven't actually had a cup made with one as yet. I'm trying to get a Kone on the cheap, and I know my ladyfriend really REALLY wants a Chemex because reasons, so I'll probably end up with one in a few months.

Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

05-07-2014, 08:40 PM

I'm thinking about getting a French press for work as I'm getting tired of the inconsistent office coffee and I spend more than I should buying cups individually. What's the deal with those? Do I have to get an expensive on to be any good or are there budget brands/models that work just as well as the pricier ones? I don't need a huge one either, a mug or two worth of coffee should be plenty.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

05-07-2014, 10:01 PM

The only real differences are the makeup of the filter, and I haven't noticed much of a difference between the three I have. Bodum makes a decent one, I believe. The biggest thing is getting the coffee out of the pot ASAP after your allotted brew time and press, as it remains in contact with the grounds and can get super strong/bitter. Otherwise the quality is about the same as using a mesh filter in a drip press, much more flavorful than paper drip coffee and much better control over the strength of the brew.

Source: I use my French Press when I go camping.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2014, 09:06 AM by at0m.)
rumbot
BRB, Posting

05-09-2014, 06:16 AM

found a guy who makes a decent cup of french press in wicker park