Hello There, Guest! Register

So a small linux issue now
commish
Lurker

10-24-2009, 07:36 PM

So now the latest issue seems to be with getting the geforce drivers to work in linux right now,
I am running ubuntu 9.04 and my graphic card is an evga gefore 9800 GX2 but when I try to install the drivers from Administration -> Hardware drivers, when ever I restart my PC I boot to a black screen and have to enter ubuntu via recovery mode. any help will be appreciated

Geoff: i've never had a sammich like this
Geoff: its so good
Dr. Commish: that recipe is yours forever now, keep it close and impress the lady of your dreams
Geoff: YOU GODDIT DOCTAH JONES
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

10-24-2009, 07:52 PM

You aren't, by chance, installing the Windows version of the drivers, are you?
commish
Lurker

10-24-2009, 07:55 PM

copy pasta

Tested by the Ubuntu developers
Licence: Proprietary

3d-Accelerated proprietary graphics driver for NVIDIA cards.

This driver is required to fully utilise the 3D potential of NVIDIA graphics cards, as well as provide 2D acceleration of newer cards.

If you wish to enable desktop effects, this driver is required.

If this driver is not enabled, you will not be able to enable desktop effects and will not be able to run software that requires 3D acceleration, such as some games.

Dr. Commish: that recipe is yours forever now, keep it close and impress the lady of your dreams
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

10-24-2009, 10:45 PM

next time you restart and you have a black screen press ctrl-alt-backspace

is it after you login when the screen goes black?

if you get to a terminal window, type startx
if it goes black again you need to configure your xserver by means of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (i think)
fglrx don't remember troubleshooting commands sorry

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
commish
Lurker

10-25-2009, 07:10 AM

the black screen pretty much happens after the ubuntu loading screen, this problem happened also when I updated the driver in windows, so I'm starting to suspect that my card might be shitty.

Isn't that weird, you buy this cutting edge card, only to find out they stop making it, and any drivers that come out will fuck it up even worst so you can't use it for anything  >Sad

zaneyard

10-25-2009, 11:01 PM

(10-25-2009, 07:10 AM)commish link Wrote: the black screen pretty much happens after the ubuntu loading screen, this problem happened also when I updated the driver in windows, so I'm starting to suspect that my card might be shitty.

Isn't that weird, you buy this cutting edge card, only to find out they stop making it, and any drivers that come out will fuck it up even worst so you can't use it for anything  >Sad
no, it's a problem with xserver configuration
do what i said and see if you can get into a cli

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

10-26-2009, 03:43 AM

isn't that more or less the same error you were getting with windows?

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
zaneyard

10-26-2009, 04:43 AM

(10-25-2009, 07:10 AM)commish link Wrote: this problem happened also when I updated the driver in windows

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

10-26-2009, 06:16 AM

sorry zane, i could only be bothered the read the first post earlier. was too lazy to do more then and now i got a headache so im goin to take a nap

gl w/ ur shit, try old drivers to see how your card fares with those

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
zaneyard

10-26-2009, 11:42 AM

(10-26-2009, 06:16 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: sorry zane, i could only be bothered the read the first post earlier. was too lazy to do more then and now i got a headache so im goin to take a nap

gl w/ ur shit, try old drivers to see how your card fares with those
Smile

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE