Hello There, Guest! Register

Music Recommendations
Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 10:16 AM

So I know we've got the "Now listening to" thread, but I noticed that we could be pointing others in the direction of lesser known musical gems based on their tastes.
The deal is that we post some videos, and your post should include some sort of band/artist that you enjoy.
So I decided to make this thread.
For anyone who love Ska, this small band out of Ontario my friend introduced me to...well, they're pretty awesome.
The Expos - Dying Too Long
For those who say they don't like rap (oh god i totally typed rape before backspacing):
Sage Francis-Keep Moving
also
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
also
Evilnine Crooked ft. Aesop Rock
For those who like relaxing music:
SplurgenShitter
also
Alice
This next one is a band that sort of sounds like MGMT mixed with Daft Punk....at least in my opinion.
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead
And here's some indie electro
FLAIRS - BETTER THAN PRINCE

I really like the Gorillaz but no one is really as original as they are...any other trip-hop bands?

Benito Mussolini
1 More!

12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

[Image: expos1.jpg]

I miss them =(

[move][glow=black,2,300]  Vote Benito 2012   [/glow]                                                         ï@.[/move]
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

12-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Great thread idea, I will be posting here a lot when I'm not so busy.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-01-2009, 10:40 AM

(12-01-2009, 10:24 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: Great thread idea, I will be posting here a lot when I'm not so busy.

Incoming wave of hipster

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 10:43 AM

(12-01-2009, 10:40 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=3915.msg124568#msg124568 date=1259681053]
Great thread idea, I will be posting here a lot when I'm not so busy.

Incoming wave of hipster
[/quote]
that's the point
well, sort of
just music that's good, that's close to a person's tastes.
Tricks
BRB, Posting

12-01-2009, 10:50 AM

(12-01-2009, 10:16 AM)Professor Funbucks link Wrote: So I know we've got the "Now listening to" thread, but I noticed that we could be pointing others in the direction of lesser known musical gems based on their tastes.
The deal is that we post some videos, and your post should include some sort of band/artist that you enjoy.
For anyone who love Ska, this small band out of Ontario my friend introduced me to...well, they're pretty awesome.
For those who say they don't like rap (oh god i totally typed rape before backspacing):
Sage Francis-Keep Moving
also
also
SplurgenShitter
also
Alice
This next one is a band that sort of sounds like MGMT mixed with Daft Punk....at least in my opinion.
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

I really like the Gorillaz but no one is really as original as they are...any other trip-hop bands?

Some really great picks in here. I saw MGMT live some time ago, they were playing with Crystal Castles. I would for sure check out their music.

Crystal Castles - Untrust Us

Quote:any other trip-hop bands?

I am going to guess you know bands like Trentemoler (minimalist electro, some other songs are more trip hop)

Trentemoller - Miss You

Massive Attack,

Massive Attack - Angel Video

and other big name Trip Hop groups. Do you like heavily sampled music like DJ Shadow, Tricky, Etc?

Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 11:00 AM

(12-01-2009, 10:50 AM)Tricks link Wrote: [quote author=Professor Funbucks link=topic=3915.msg124563#msg124563 date=1259680588]
So I know we've got the "Now listening to" thread, but I noticed that we could be pointing others in the direction of lesser known musical gems based on their tastes.
Sage Francis-Keep Moving
also
also
SplurgenShitter
also
Alice
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

Some really great picks in here. I saw MGMT live some time ago, they were playing with Crystal Castles. I would for sure check out their music.

Crystal Castles - Untrust Us

Quote:any other trip-hop bands?

I am going to guess you know bands like Trentemoler (minimalist electro, some other songs are more trip hop)

Trentemoller - Miss You

Massive Attack,

Massive Attack - Angel Video

and other big name Trip Hop groups. Do you like heavily sampled music like DJ Shadow, Tricky, Etc?

[/quote]

I don't mind sample music that much, i mean, look at that Alice video. It's frigging great.

Also, I actually haven't heard of Trentemoller, that song is great. I'll for sure look them up.
And Crystal Castles are great, my friend's roommate listens to them a lot.

I feel like tossing some more music in here...
A good mashup that only has like 200 views Sad
(Ratatat - Wildcat) vs. (Aesop Rock - No Jumper Cables) - Wil MacMillan
and some Ratatat! awesome beats composed by a cool duet out of NYC
Ratatat - Loud Pipes
DMX....remixed with Ghostbusters.
there is no god ((oh yeah its actually good))
DMX vs Ghostbusters (Miles Remix)
and some nerdcore hiphop if you haven't heard any yet...it's a really good genre.
MC Frontalot - Bizarro Genius Baby
MC Frontalot in this one, but I recommend Dual Core, Beefy, MC Lars, mc chris, and YTCracker
Surf314

12-01-2009, 11:05 AM

For trip hopish bands I like: (guess who prefers the portishead end of the spectrum?)

Mum:
We Have A Map Of The Piano - Múm

Halou:
Halou - Everything Is OK

And even further removed Electric President:
Electric President - Insomnia
Who I really really like and you should get both albums.

Anyone like Glitch?

Prefuse 73:
Prefuse 73 'Pagina dos'
Prefuse73 Feat Aesop Rock Sabbatical With Options - With Aesop Rock
Prefuse 73- Black List (feat. MF Doom & Aesop Rock) - With MF Doom and AR

Considerate Builders Scheme:
The Considerate Builders Scheme - We Got It Down HQ

Kashiwa Daisuke: (blends classical music and glitch/noise)
Kashiwa Daisuke Requiem
Kashiwa Daisuke    -    Rabbit's _quartet

Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 11:21 AM

(12-01-2009, 11:05 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: Anyone like Glitch?

Prefuse 73:
Prefuse 73 'Pagina dos'
Prefuse73 Feat Aesop Rock Sabbatical With Options - With Aesop Rock
Prefuse 73- Black List (feat. MF Doom & Aesop Rock) - With MF Doom and AR

Considerate Builders Scheme:
The Considerate Builders Scheme - We Got It Down HQ
I do now like glitch
Prefuse 73 is amazing stuff, I LOVE that MF DOOM track
and that We Got it Down song is awesome.
The daisuke one sounded like my speakers were breaking.
:/

Also, to add more
dälek
dälek - Distorted Prose
completely underground rapper, and uses some glitch sounds too. not obscenely.
his beats are really industrial sounding, dirty and grungy.
Surf314

12-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Daisuke is hit or miss because he ranges from a very legitimate electronic take on classical to complete noise. I couldn't find any of his better tracks to give a better representation of him, the ones on youtube were to slow or too noisy. Actually I just found a good 10 min cut from Program Music. Try this:

Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella (Part 1)

Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 11:31 AM

(12-01-2009, 11:30 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: Daisuke is hit or miss because he ranges from a very legitimate electronic take on classical to complete noise. I couldn't find any of his better tracks to give a better representation of him, the ones on youtube were to slow or too noisy. Actually I just found a good 10 min cut from Program Music. Try this:

Ok, this one's good.
Requiem sounded like a nightmare though.
Surf314

12-01-2009, 11:32 AM

(12-01-2009, 11:31 AM)Professor Funbucks link Wrote: [quote author=Surf314 link=topic=3915.msg124584#msg124584 date=1259685009]
Daisuke is hit or miss because he ranges from a very legitimate electronic take on classical to complete noise. I couldn't find any of his better tracks to give a better representation of him, the ones on youtube were to slow or too noisy. Actually I just found a good 10 min cut from Program Music. Try this:

Ok, this one's good.
Requiem sounded like a nightmare though.
[/quote]

Intentionally, a lot of his music freaks me the fuck out when it comes on at night on my shuffle.

zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

12-01-2009, 11:54 AM

One Suggestion
Bayside - Devotion and Desire Lyrics
Bayside
Sheet, I want to pick this album up now too.

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
KorJax
BRB, Posting

12-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Sound Tribe Sector 9?  I don't even know what genre they are, if I would have a guess it would be a jazzy house version of light rock.

Anyways, one of my all time favorite songs by them is Music, Us (specifically the live version, the album version blows):

Sound Tribe Sector 9 - Music, Us (Live @ The Tabernacle)

Their energy when they play live is contagous, I'd love to see them in concert.  These guys know music, I can't exactly say that about most of the shit that gets played on the radio these days.  Another favorite song of theirs is a 20 minute epic they played called "Ramone & Emilgo", it's just so chill and smooth yet has a bit of energy to to.  There's no real video of it on the internet since it's a 20 minute long song and the vids of them playing it live are all shortened and sound weird.

Hmm....

I know you guy's arn't much into electronic but...

If you guys want some chillout stuff (good for chilling or when working on projects), no one does it better than Xerxes IMO, and as a plus you can download his album for as much as you see worth it at his site.

I've got his album The Mirror Formula, it's great stuff:

http://xerxes-music.com/album/the-mirror-formula

Track 6 is by far one of the best chillout tune's I've ever heard (you can stream it on his website).

If you like trance music in the least by far one of my favorite tunes is likely Shipwrecked by Mike Foyle (specifically the Armin van Buuren intro version of the song with the piano solo):

Shipwrecked AvB intro (JOC & Foyle club rmx) - Mike Foyle ♪♫♪♫

The part of the song 3 minutes into it when it transitions into the main tune gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Especially since I'm such a sucker for Piano Tongue

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM by KorJax.)
Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 12:07 PM

(12-01-2009, 11:54 AM)KorJax link Wrote: Sound Tribe Sector 9 - Music, Us (Live @ The Tabernacle)
Amazing
(12-01-2009, 11:54 AM)KorJax link Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6jApqqxJ7Y
holy shit awesome

I am SO glad I made this thread.
zaneyard

12-01-2009, 12:10 PM

this song is really good
deadmau5 feat. Rob Swire - Ghosts N Stuff

Funbucks, the Expos is awesome.

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Surf314

12-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Anyone liked the Freestylers when they were popular?

freestylers - push up
Bomfunk mc's

Also if you can get a copy you should check out an album called Old School Vs New School:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=...new+school

Some of those aren't the album mixes but you still get a good idea of how awesome that album was.

Professor Funbucks

12-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Deadmau5 is great stuff, heard them before.
I've heard of Freestylers, never heard them...they're...kinda catchy, i mean, damn, the whole 90's vibe to them is swell.
zaneyard

12-01-2009, 12:19 PM

(12-01-2009, 12:18 PM)Professor Funbucks link Wrote: Deadmau5 is great stuff, heard them before.
I've heard of Freestylers, never heard them...they're...kinda catchy, i mean, damn, the whole 90's vibe to them is swell.
I'm still convinced Bayside is the best band in the world
Freestylers is pretty cool, if the fucking video would load.. Fuck you Comcast.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Surf314

12-01-2009, 12:20 PM

(12-01-2009, 12:18 PM)Professor Funbucks link Wrote: Deadmau5 is great stuff, heard them before.

And that chick is hawt. I'm pretty much done with techno but I was curious if anyone else has seen Rabbit in the Moon live? I honestly don't care too much for their music but they seriously give the best stage show of any band with the possible exception of The Flaming Lips:

Rabbit in the Moon