Hello There, Guest! Register

Put Dispenser Here, Please: A guide to Team Fortress 2 Etiquette
Scary Womanizing Pig Mask
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Last night, when I was trying to keep myself from falling asleep on the midnight train, I had this idea to make a compendium of proper etiquette when playing TF2, to serve as the definitive guide for such matter when playing on the BRB,U servers. By no means is it complete yet as I will add more to the list when I think of them, but I was hoping you guys could come up with some suggestions of stuff to add or corrections to what I've already posted.  I hope that are combined efforts will turn this into a full and extensive compendium of proper manner when playing TF2. Enjoy!

Teleporter Priority
When a group of players are all vying to use the same teleporter, there are priority rankings that determines who should go first:
1. Engineer: If an engineer tries to use a teleporter, it's most likely because his buildings are in peril, or one needs to be rebuilt ASAP. He gets priority above all else, since he can only wait so long before the sapping of his prized Level 3 Sentry Gun is complete.
2. Heavy: Self explanatory. He's the slowest class, and is a huge asset to both a defensive hold out and an offensive push.
3. Soldier: Another slow, but incredibly useful class that is a necessity for both sides.
4: Medic: Although the Medic is the second fastest class, his healing is just as important as the Soldier's rockets, making it essential to have him on the front lines of combat.
5. Demoman: All though Demonman are slower then the Pyro and thus get higher priority, he has an extra means of locomotion at his disposal that the Pyro does not; the Stickie Jump. although mainly used for vertical moment, if angled correctly, it can also be used to make parabola shaped jumps that not only help reach the battle faster, but serve as a free way to help build up a friendly medic's uber charge.
6. Pyro: Not the fastest of classes, but no where near as slow as the Heavy and the Soldier. He can cross the map with out taking to long, but if there is a free teleporter, there's no reason why he shouldn't use it.
7. Sniper/Spy: Both relatively light footed classes, who are with out a doubt incredibly helpful, but are not strictly essential to win a match. There's no problem with them taking an available teleporter, but they should be cautious, and make sure that a higher priority class is not making there way to it. Note: Spy's no longer leave tele-trails when cloaked or disguised so they are free to use teleporters with out blowing there cover
8. Scout: Incredibly fast and agile, there's almost no reason why a scout should use a teleporter apart from an ninja cap attempt. Leave the teleporters for the classes who aren't forces of nature.

Spies Sappin his Sentry! As revised by Dave
When a Spy places a sapper on a building, an Engineer usually has to cope with a teleporter exit, a dispenser, and a sentry gun all losing health at the the same, along with a spy trying to pull of a backstab, it can be hard for an Engie to make it out of this debacle with both his prized contraptions and his life intact. Lend him a hand and shoot and assault anyone and everyone in the area. Even if you're a Medic, it's far more helpful to pull out your Syringegun and fire off rounds at whoever you see then to try and heal your team. You just might end up saving the spy. No one is beyond suspicion, and with the ensuing hellfire of bullets, the malicious Spy will have a much harder time pulling off a backstab, leaving the Engineer free to remove the sappers from his trusty machines in peace

Collegues before Comrades
When confronted with several teamates all in need of healing, a Medic should always keep one ultimatum in mind "Colleges before Comrades." Save the burning medic fist. Not only can the two of you now heal the remaining victims twice as fast, your also saving a partial ubercharge buildup from going to waste.

Take Care of Your Buddies With protip from Dave and suggestions from Riosan and Ianki
A Medic buddy is an incredibly useful thing to have. For classes like the Heavy, it's like adding on an entire Pyro in terms of health boost, and makes unstoppable sentries a breeze. Such an awesome gift doesn't come completly free though, you also have to take care of you're medic and keep him alive. Make sure to watch there health, and fall back with them it drops to low. Medics don't like to abandon they're teammates in the midst of combat, but if you're unwilling to accompany them while they recuperate, they have no other choice. You also should be respectful of medics you're not healing. If you have a little scrape, and a wee bit less health then you would like, call for medic by all means! Healing you will help the medic build his uber charge. Just don't jam the key repeadetly when he doesn't come right way, he's probably caught up with something more important.

On the flopside of things, medics have not only an obligation to there pal, but to the rest of there team as well/ Don't keep buffing up one guy when you're teammates are burning to death as well. You're obligation you're buddy means you need to take care of him by keeping him buffed and turning around every so often to check for spy. A lot of medics (i.e. Scary Womanizing Pig Mask) often get to distracted, and forget to turn around, leading to two free kills for a cunning spy.

Also, a protip from Dave about taking down a sentry with an uber: "You're freaking invinceable, stand infront of the sentry so your buddy can attack the sentry without getting pushed back and having his aim fucked up."

Engies Stealing mah Metal!
When two engies are working on separate sentries, it's generally considered rude to pilfer the metal from there dispenser to work on you're own sentry gun. If they have a Level 3 up, then by all means take some and spread the wealth, but don't jack his metal when he's in the midst of an upgrade, no matter how fast you want yours up. Note: If you're buildings are under assault and you do not posses the materials to repair them, this rule is rendered null and void

Leave the Health for the Medics and the Ammo for the Engies With help from Budr and Mission Difficult
When you need health you get a health pack, when you need ammo you get an ammo pack or a dropped gun. Seems simple right? Not quite, just like teleporers there are priority rankings to who gets the kits:

Health Pack:
1. Critical Burn Victim: Almost no health left, about to die. None get's priority over this guy in any circumstance, as the Medic may not be able to get to him in the critical second that determines whether he lives or dies.
2. Burning Medic: Only other thing that outclasses a regular medic. Same situation as a Critical Burn Victim.
3.  Medic: Even if a medic has more health then you, always let him get the health pack. He can heal and buff you after he does so, which will give you more health then a health pack will, plus will help build up the medics ubercharge, a invaluable that it should be a priority to aquire.
4. Non Critical Burn Victim: Feel free to take the the health pack, so long as no higher prioritized class is around.
5. Everyone else: Like in the case of the Non Critical Burn, feel free to take the health, provided there's no who needs it more near by you.

Ammo Packs/Dropped Guns:
1. Engineer: Engineers are to metal as Godot is to coffee, and to deprive them of there lifeblood so you can get another clip for you're shotgun is nothing short of criminal. If you see an Engie running towards the pack, move and let him have it, chances are he needs it more then you.
2. Everyone else, in order of need: So long as there's no Engies around, take the ammo whenever you need, but be smart about it. Don't take a jumbo sized ammo pack when you only need a a clip or two for you're Scattergun. Look for a small one, or find a dispenser that an Engie was able to build with the metal you left for him.

Any additions?

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM by Scary Womanizing Pig Mask.)
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-11-2008, 01:34 PM

good only things wrong:

pyro is 100% speed
demo is 75% speed

pyro should be just above sniper

only engis can remove sappers.

cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

08-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Colleges before Comrades? Get a degree before you indulge in Communism.
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 01:35 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:34 PM)Dave link Wrote: good only things wrong:

pyro is 100% speed
demo is 75% speed

I'll fix the pyro/demo thing, but only Engie's can remove sappers? Really? I was sure any melee weapon could...

Dave

08-11-2008, 01:37 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:35 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: [quote author=Dave link=topic=1139.msg29719#msg29719 date=1218479641]
good only things wrong:

pyro is 100% speed
demo is 75% speed

I'll fix the pyro/demo thing, but only Engie's can remove sappers? Really? I was sure any melee weapon could...
[/quote]

also: when you see a sentry being sapped, you shoot the shit out of anything near it so the engi can focus on fixing the sentry without getting backstabbed.

this is also true for medics who see shit getting sapped

healing the engi does not help as much as spraying needles everywhere to find the spy.

Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 01:40 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:37 PM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link=topic=1139.msg29721#msg29721 date=1218479723]
[quote author=Dave link=topic=1139.msg29719#msg29719 date=1218479641]
good only things wrong:

pyro is 100% speed
demo is 75% speed

[/quote]

also: when you see a sentry being sapped, you shoot the shit out of anything near it so the engi can focus on fixing the sentry without getting backstabbed.

this is also true for medics who see shit getting sapped

healing the engi does not help as much as spraying needles everywhere to find the spy.
[/quote]

Smart, I'll swap that with dislodging the sapper. Thanks for the addition ^_^

(08-11-2008, 01:34 PM)cannedpeaches link Wrote: Colleges before Comrades? Get a degree before you indulge in Communism.

lmao +1 Smile

Riosan
EPIC teamkiller

08-11-2008, 01:40 PM

You should also put down somewhere that calling for medic every 2 seconds when you have full health/ammo and screaming over voice chat aren't particularly smiled upon.  :Smile

Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 01:48 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:40 PM)Riosan link Wrote: You should also put down somewhere that calling for medic every 2 seconds when you have full health/ammo and screaming over voice chat aren't particularly smiled upon.  :Smile

I'll add that in now Smile

cannedpeahes
Fan of Vampire Romance literature

08-11-2008, 01:54 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:40 PM)Riosan link Wrote: You should also put down somewhere that calling for medic every 2 seconds when you have full health/ammo and screaming over voice chat aren't particularly smiled upon.  :Smile

Unless you're a heavy, in which case, make sure somebody medics for you even if you have to twist their balls off to get them to do it.
Budr

08-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Personally, I leave tele's for medics when soldiering. You can RJ to most frontlines fairly quickly and they'll be a medic waiting there to heal you up.

As an addendum to the Engi etiquette: FFS DO NOT PICK UP AMMO CRATES IN THE SET-UP. It's fucking infuriating to get your dispenser and sentry up, go to pick up the metal and some cunt's picked it up to replenish their one missing rocket.
Budr

08-11-2008, 01:59 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:54 PM)cannedpeaches link Wrote: [quote author=Riosan link=topic=1139.msg29725#msg29725 date=1218480007]
You should also put down somewhere that calling for medic every 2 seconds when you have full health/ammo and screaming over voice chat aren't particularly smiled upon.  :Smile

Unless you're a heavy, in which case, make sure somebody medics for you even if you have to twist their balls off to get them to do it.
[/quote]

If there's only one medic on the team and you can't survive without, then don't play heavy. A sole medic serves the team much better when spreading himself amongst them. Ask someone to switch over chat by all means but ffs don't just spam e and expect it to happen.
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 02:02 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:57 PM)Budr link Wrote: Personally, I leave tele's for medics when soldiering. You can RJ to most frontlines fairly quickly and they'll be a medic waiting there to heal you up.

As an addendum to the Engi etiquette: FFS DO NOT PICK UP AMMO CRATES IN THE SET-UP. It's fucking infuriating to get your dispenser and sentry up, go to pick up the metal and some cunt's picked it up to replenish their one missing rocket.

Adding that now!

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Never pick up a health pack if there is someone near you on fire. They need it more than you do.

Budr

08-11-2008, 02:11 PM

(08-11-2008, 02:07 PM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: Never pick up a health pack if there is someone near you on fire. They need it more than you do.

Or if there is a medic healing you, he might need it and it will slow his ubercharge.
Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 02:12 PM

(08-11-2008, 02:11 PM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=Mission Difficult link=topic=1139.msg29734#msg29734 date=1218481621]
Never pick up a health pack if there is someone near you on fire. They need it more than you do.

Or if there is a medic healing you, he might need it and it will slow his ubercharge.
[/quote]

Yeah, that all ties into the Engie/Medic Health/Ammo clause I'm writing Smile

Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-11-2008, 02:35 PM

(08-11-2008, 01:30 PM)Scary Womanizing Pig Mask link Wrote: Take Care of You're Buddy

NONONONONO

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Medics - When choosing a buddy, pick the highest scoring heavy/soldier/demo/pyro on your team, don't buddy up with someone who can't kill shit

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Dave

08-11-2008, 02:49 PM

(08-11-2008, 02:38 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Medics - When choosing a buddy, pick the highest scoring heavy/soldier/demo/pyro on your team, don't buddy up with someone who can't kill shit

DEFAULT uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

1 SENTRY AHEAD uber preference

Demo
Heavy
Pyro
Soldier

more than 1 sentry ahead uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

note: soldier is last on all charts as in one uber a soldier can fire 8-12 rounds

which is easily outhealed by an engi with a dispenser behind him

MEDIC UBER PROTIP:

You're freaking invinceable, stand infront of the sentry so your buddy can attack the sentry without getting pushed back and having his aim fucked up.

note: not an experienced medic, any changes to preferences are welcome with valid reasons.

Fierce Pork Trooper

08-11-2008, 02:53 PM

(08-11-2008, 02:49 PM)Dave link Wrote: [quote author=CaffeinePowered link=topic=1139.msg29751#msg29751 date=1218483539]
Medics - When choosing a buddy, pick the highest scoring heavy/soldier/demo/pyro on your team, don't buddy up with someone who can't kill shit

DEFAULT uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

1 SENTRY AHEAD uber preference

Demo
Heavy
Pyro
Soldier

more than 1 sentry ahead uber preference:

Heavy
Pyro
Demo
Soldier

note: soldier is last on all charts as in one uber a soldier can fire 8-12 rounds

which is easily outhealed by an engi with a dispenser behind him

MEDIC UBER PROTIP:

You're freaking invinceable, stand infront of the sentry so your buddy can attack the sentry without getting pushed back and having his aim fucked up.

note: not an experienced medic, any changes to preferences are welcome with valid reasons.

[/quote]

As useful as this info is, this is more geared towards general tips then manners and etiquette when playing TF2. Just my opinion though, I'll gladly add this though if I'm disagreed with! Uber medic protip is going in though Smile

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM by Scary Womanizing Pig Mask.)
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

08-11-2008, 02:58 PM

(08-11-2008, 02:38 PM)CaffeinePowered link Wrote: Medics - When choosing a buddy, pick the highest scoring heavy/soldier/demo/pyro on your team, don't buddy up with someone who can't kill shit

hmmmm.... wrong.  All deserve the medics love if they need it, though all do not deserve the uber.

While we're at it, stop yelling at me when i stop humping your butt to heal someone about to burn to death Big Grin

much love.