Hello There, Guest! Register

Final Fantasy XIII
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-08-2010, 07:48 PM

(03-08-2010, 07:12 PM)Spore link Wrote: With all of Square Enix's support for Steam lately, what do you guys reckon about a PC version six months down the line?

If they dont sell enough copies to make up for the massive development sink, yes

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

03-08-2010, 09:13 PM

(03-08-2010, 07:09 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Ianki link=topic=4254.msg140476#msg140476 date=1268084891]
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/final-...5627250082

games rader gave the game a blow job.

From the Review

Quote:Do We think its better than.....

Final Fantasy X? No, but it isn't worse. Ack, don't make us choose! Both have excellent battle systems that each improve on the ATB base. FFX has some better characterization in the relationship between Tidus and Yuna, but then again there's no one as annoying as Wakka in FFXIII. People who loved the romance aspect of FFX will be disappointed that FFXIII lacks a strong romantic element.

They thought FFX was good, their argument is invalid, please compare to VI or IV
[/quote]

that's like comparing apples and final fantasy X
Ianki

03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Also Caff, i think you might only be happy once rpg's go back to sprites.

I think the next dragon quest game is going to be on the DS exclusively, though the i've never played any dragon quest games.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-08-2010, 09:35 PM

(03-08-2010, 09:20 PM)Ianki link Wrote: Also Caff, i think you might only be happy once rpg's go back to sprites.

I think the next dragon quest game is going to be on the DS exclusively, though the i've never played any dragon quest games.

No there are good 3D RPGs

I enjoyed

Dragon Age
KoToR
FFIX
FFVII
Vesperia
Mass Effect
Fallout 3 (Despite my bitching)

:-\

Sig by Joel
Tricks
BRB, Posting

03-08-2010, 09:38 PM

(03-08-2010, 09:35 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Ianki link=topic=4254.msg140536#msg140536 date=1268101222]

I enjoyed

Dragon Age
KoToR
FFIX
FFVII
Vesperia
Mass Effect

[/quote]

That is a really good list
Ianki

03-08-2010, 10:34 PM

(03-08-2010, 09:35 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=Ianki link=topic=4254.msg140536#msg140536 date=1268101222]

I enjoyed

Dragon Age
KoToR
FFIX
FFVII
Vesperia
Mass Effect

[/quote]

I miss ps1 rpg's.  Star ocean 2, xenogears, breath of fire 3, etc etc etc.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-08-2010, 10:37 PM

Fuck I forgot Xenogears....Xenosaga however, now that was a pile of shit

RPGs are supposed to be about having a good compelling story and characters to draw you in, not how many pixels you push onto the screen

FF1 -> Early attempt at actually telling a story
FF2 -> First sprite choreography
FF3 -> Refined story & choreography
FF4 -> Story of redemption with some nice twists
FF5 -> Very cookiecutter, but also a few good twists
FF6 -> Holy shit not cookiecutter and great twists
FF7 -> Had its moments
FF8 -> Decent love story, but shitty battle system
FF9 ->IMO the last good FF game, story was a bit shakey and the characters annoying at times, but had passable moments
FF10 -> Good battle system, but characters flatter than matza bread
FF11 -> Does not computer
FF12 -> Great world set up, but the story left me saying "huh, what, why is this happening, whats going on, why are they doing that thing with the thing?" Oh, and crummy characters I did not care about at all, except for Fran...bunny girl + fantasy armor...mmmmmm....
FF13 -> Even more flat androgynous characters and as even the 10/10 review states, it has a flat and easy to follow story, if you can weave more intricate back stories for the 14 characters of VI with 16 bit sprites than you can with your enormous development budget, something is missing on your writing staff...

</end rant>

Surf, PM me your address and I will buy you a copy of the GBA version of VI

Sig by Joel
Ianki

03-08-2010, 11:09 PM

(03-08-2010, 10:37 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: Fuck I forgot Xenogears....Xenosaga however, now that was a pile of shit

RPGs are supposed to be about having a good compelling story and characters to draw you in, not how many pixels you push onto the screen

FF1 -> Early attempt at actually telling a story
FF2 -> First sprite choreography
FF3 -> Refined story & choreography
FF4 -> Story of redemption with some nice twists
FF5 -> Very cookiecutter, but also a few good twists
FF6 -> Holy shit not cookiecutter and great twists
FF7 -> Had its moments
FF8 -> Decent love story, but shitty battle system
FF9 ->IMO the last good FF game, story was a bit shakey and the characters annoying at times, but had passable moments
FF10 -> Good battle system, but characters flatter than matza bread
FF11 -> Does not computer
FF12 -> Great world set up, but the story left me saying "huh, what, why is this happening, whats going on, why are they doing that thing with the thing?" Oh, and crummy characters I did not care about at all, except for Fran...bunny girl + fantasy armor...mmmmmm....
FF13 -> Even more flat androgynous characters and as even the 10/10 review states, it has a flat and easy to follow story, if you can weave more intricate back stories for the 14 characters of VI with 16 bit sprites than you can with your enormous development budget, something is missing on your writing staff...

</end rant>

Surf, PM me your address and I will buy you a copy of the GBA version of VI

To be fair, it's hard to have compelling stories in a limited text based rpg.  Playing through secret of mana for the hundreth time this week, i ran into lines like this: "Santa: I turned into a mana beast because children stopped believing in me!"

of course i never played 12, and i flew through X on a winter break on my brother's ps2, but good voice acting and more immersive story lines i think have made the rpgs in the last several years better on average.

Also, i forgot to mention wild arms:

Wild Arms intro

i like some spaghetti western in my rpg.

(surf, a google search for final fantasy 6 room will auto correct towards what you want)
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

03-08-2010, 11:55 PM

I liked xenosaga  :-\ I must have trained myself to like shitty RPGs  Tongue

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Squishy3
Closet Furry

03-09-2010, 06:34 PM

got it from gamefly, story's okay but gameplay is fun, haven't really played a jrpg since persona 4

Vandamguy

03-10-2010, 01:08 AM

Xenogears was fucking epic , the one on PS1 , if you can keep your head in the story and not get overwhelmed , there were some serious religion things going on there. loved every bit of that game.
except when there were boss fights that i didnt know i was supposed to get into my mech for and ended up doing it with my regular party.

re: ff12: only got half way through, i was diggin the story but the character development system left a lot to be desired, after ranking everyone up to max level or whatever , they all became very homogenized , no character had any particular abilities or strengths that set them appart from the others. so i just loaded my party up with all the T+A i could. 3 frans would have been very yes.

agree on your Original point though caff , the depth of these games has been shinking.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

03-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Here's my first impressions on playing 2+ hours last night.

1) I just got to the real game before I quit (you can't level in the beginning = WTF but kinda makes sense with the story)
2) Game is beautiful. Cut scenes are basically like Advent Children
3) Gameplay is obviously a prototype for whatever they will eventually settle on. It's kind of a hybrid between XII's battle system and the games previous. Real time menu battles. You only control one character and the others you set to "paradigms" or roles. The way they set up the battles you can really only control one person safely: It's too fast pace to switch around. It feels a lot better than XII and more modern than the old system but it definitely needs work before it can truly be called "the modern FF battle system."
4) Leveling is kinda like the past couple games. You work towards level paths in each role where your points go towards going down the path and you unlock things when you get there. You can only use the skills in your role but attribute bonuses cross roles. Again this makes more sense within the new battle system as it is too fast paced to have a lot of choices. Changing roles is instant so it makes it a lot easier and more organized.
5) Enemies are shown in real time on the map a la Xenosaga which I think is the way it should be done. Then you enter into the battle like every game except XII. So far I can't control placement, just actions but with the right timing I've been able to execute some pretty amazing attacks that play into the enemies positions and mine. This isn't really that easy though and I assume it's like wave riding in tribes: an unintended feature to be exploited.
6) Two of the five characters are immediately likeable. One is kinda neutral at first and grows on you. There are two kids that fit into annoying japanese stereotypes but they are starting to grow on me a little.
7) Auto-battle is back but it is starting to make more sense within the system. I just wish it wasn't the first choice on the menu.

Overall it's a pretty solid game. The story is interesting. I'm definitely enjoying it so far but it doesn't feel exactly right. I think fans of the series will find things to love and hate but they should be hopeful because a lot of the changes seem to be a step back towards the old games from XII. I'd like to see them lock down the battle system into something that feels more right. I like this one but it'd be nice to have more direct control over the party members and the battlefield. The battles are too quick at times and I'd like a way to slow down the action for a bit more strategy. I definitely like the feel of the new battle system though, it's a lot more organic and less the british during the american revolution inspired. I just want them to give you the ability to slow it down and give a lot more control to the different aspects.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-10-2010, 07:50 AM

Oh hey, I bought you a real game

[Image: FFVIForSurf.jpg]

Sig by Joel
Ianki

03-10-2010, 11:40 AM

(03-10-2010, 07:50 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Oh hey, I bought you a real game

44 bucks for a gba game?
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

03-10-2010, 11:49 AM

(03-10-2010, 11:40 AM)Ianki link Wrote: [quote author=Caffeine link=topic=4254.msg140812#msg140812 date=1268225423]
Oh hey, I bought you a real game

44 bucks for a gba game?
[/quote]

Out of Print + Best FF Ever = Game Appreciated in Value

Sig by Joel
Vandamguy

03-10-2010, 01:33 PM

emulator.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

03-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Just not the same Tongue  Also <3 the original cart, woolsey translations and all.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
Ianki

03-12-2010, 10:16 PM

(03-10-2010, 07:31 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: 7) Auto-battle is back but it is starting to make more sense within the system. I just wish it wasn't the first choice on the menu.

there is a setting to make abilities the first menu choice.

I wish there was a sound menu option so i can turn down music in relation to the voice acting.  The subtitles are in awkward places on the screen for non-cut scenes and i sometimes have a hard time dissociating the music from the voices.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

03-13-2010, 01:20 AM

Just picked up the game on the PS3.  Kinda bummed about a few things I've heard about it, but I'm hoping I'll like the game with the setting, since I was always into the scifi fantasy like Final Fantasy VII instead of the other ones like FFXII and FFIX.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
Ianki

03-13-2010, 03:31 AM

(03-13-2010, 01:20 AM)Maxon link Wrote: Just picked up the game on the PS3.  Kinda bummed about a few things I've heard about it, but I'm hoping I'll like the game with the setting, since I was always into the scifi fantasy like Final Fantasy VII instead of the other ones like FFXII and FFIX.

same shit, different type of airship