Hello There, Guest! Register

Server Plugins
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-15-2008, 12:24 AM

Someone asked me once upon a time what plugins the servers run. Here's a few off the top of my head. If I add anything interesting, it will be noted in this thread. Alternatively, if you find something interesting, feel free to point it out via this thread. Lastly, if someone wants to remind me of other plugins we run, that would be cool too.

SprayTracer - the plugin that lets you see who sprayed what. The newest version allows admins to spray other users' sprays, to see sprays in question, as well as remove the sprays and/or ban said sprayer.

Server Crontab - lets the srcds run cron-ish jobs. Ie, for those not in the know, this is what makes those server announcements like "Come visit our sister server at foo.bar.bazzle:27015"

Anti-Micspam (by FLOORMASTER of all people) - new plugin I just added. basically, it detects whether someone is using HLDJ/HLSS, etc. Play a sound byte longer than specified, and you'll automatically be perma-banned. Hopefully this will help pick up the slack whenever all our admins are out having lives (the nerve!)

Class Limits - allows me to set class limits. Nuff said.

[b]FOR THE RECORD: #2 HAS NOW BEEN SETUP TO PERMABAN ANYONE WHO PLAYS A SOUNDCLIP LONGER THAN 15 SECONDS. THIS IS YOUR FAIR WARNING.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM by copulatingduck.)
Neonie

08-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Now if only I could find something that let's me see my skins  Tongue
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-15-2008, 12:39 AM

I like all of these. Permaban might be a little harsh, but I suppose it forces the person to apologize before they can play again.

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

08-15-2008, 12:44 AM

I don't like the anti-micspam or class limits.

First of all, class limits are nice in situations, but not all the time. All of you should know that.

As a matter of fact, I tried to become engie today to help out on Dustbowl, but the limit was three. This limits our freedom of choice, is just generally annoying and should only be used in necessary situations. (ex: Pyro update overload) I strongly disagree with this.

The anit-micspam I almost agree with, but a PERMABAN is out of the question. Seriously, a permaban should only be used when absolutely necessary, and most likely a last resort. After all, we've only perma'd, what, three or four people? I don't want this server going banhammer-crazy

The spray tracer seems a little harsh, but whatever, as long as they get a warning.

The only thing I don't like about plug-in's is that they slow the server down a little bit.
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

08-15-2008, 12:45 AM

(08-15-2008, 12:39 AM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: I like all of these. Permaban might be a little harsh, but I suppose it forces the person to apologize before they can play again.

Maybe. Probably a product of me being super-tired and grumpy right now. Will probably talk with some other admins to decide whether it should be less harsh in the morning.  :|

(08-15-2008, 12:44 AM)The Grand Pope of Karthology link Wrote: I don't like the anti-micspam or class limits.

The spray tracer seems a little harsh, but whatever, as long as they get a warning.

Wut? Spray Tracer is harsh how? Did you read the description right? Anti-Micspam I'm implementing because, despite the number of admins we have, I still get called out routinely to deal with micspammers. You shouldn't be playing music over the mic anyways. You wanna share music or funny soundclips with a few friends, do it with vent.  :|

(08-15-2008, 12:44 AM)The Grand Pope of Karthology link Wrote: The only thing I don't like about plug-in's is that they slow the server down a little bit.

So does lots of people playing music over the server.  :|

edit:

k, so retro-goggles tell me perma-ban seems a bit harsh. Instead I'll drop it to 3 hours ban, see how this works out for a while.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2008, 01:11 AM by copulatingduck.)
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-15-2008, 12:50 AM

The class limits don't have to be set for all classes, just for certain ones that you really should never need more than three of. Sniper and spy come to mind.

ainmosni
Man of Ethanol

08-15-2008, 01:22 AM

(08-15-2008, 12:38 AM)Neonie link Wrote: Now if only I could find something that let's me see my skins  Tongue

If you mean skins for the classes... Our servers have that disabled because there is an undetectable wall hack that people can use when they can use custom models...

Signature temporarily out of order until I get off my lazy ass to fix it.
Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

08-15-2008, 01:46 AM

Neonie already knows that ain :V.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Budr

08-15-2008, 04:26 AM

(08-15-2008, 12:45 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Anti-Micspam I'm implementing because, despite the number of admins we have, I still get called out routinely to deal with micspammers. You shouldn't be playing music over the mic anyways. You wanna share music or funny soundclips with a few friends, do it with vent.  :|

I've been on a number of times with lots of regs and had jukebox sessions, no harm done. I just stick to the rule of stopping if anyone complains. Seems like a dickish move to me.

Also, I agree with Karth, class limits seem a bit much for open pub play. If people want to all rush one class then fuck it, just makes it more interesting coming up with tactics to counteract. All the classes are made up of antagonistic pairs so it's never that hard to counter anyway.
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

08-15-2008, 06:32 AM

(08-15-2008, 04:26 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=CopulatingDuck link=topic=1170.msg30743#msg30743 date=1218779144]
Anti-Micspam I'm implementing because, despite the number of admins we have, I still get called out routinely to deal with micspammers. You shouldn't be playing music over the mic anyways. You wanna share music or funny soundclips with a few friends, do it with vent.  :|

I've been on a number of times with lots of regs and had jukebox sessions, no harm done. I just stick to the rule of stopping if anyone complains. Seems like a dickish move to me.

Also, I agree with Karth, class limits seem a bit much for open pub play. If people want to all rush one class then fuck it, just makes it more interesting coming up with tactics to counteract. All the classes are made up of antagonistic pairs so it's never that hard to counter anyway.
[/quote]

Please no class limits, and no mic spam banner either.

ktj
Lurker

08-15-2008, 06:34 AM

Class limits aren't fun.
Esp. for engi.
I know it is annoying when there are tons of sentries, but again it is easy job for ex. demo+medic.

Other situation is when there is 1 idle engi + 2 nooblet engies on red = instant fail on dbowl & gravel.
Just my opinion.
Neonie

08-15-2008, 07:19 AM

(08-15-2008, 01:22 AM)ainmosni link Wrote: [quote author=Neonie link=topic=1170.msg30740#msg30740 date=1218778710]
Now if only I could find something that let's me see my skins  Tongue

If you mean skins for the classes... Our servers have that disabled because there is an undetectable wall hack that people can use when they can use custom models...
[/quote]

Like Luca said, I do already know that. But what ya'll are using doesn't just turn class skins off, it also turns weapon skins off, which is INCREDIBLY freaking annoying.
Dave
White Lighting - Extra 50% Free

08-15-2008, 07:34 AM

davesays NO to the anti mic spam thing, i need my budr jukebox.

Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

08-15-2008, 07:58 AM

I really don't like class limiting. I know I haven't played very much lately and may be out of the loop on what goes on in #2, but things would have to be pretty bad for 24/7 class limiting to be warranted. You really are imposing a certain play style when you limit classes. I know, in theory no team should have more than 3 of anything, but I don't think that's a decision that should be up to an admin to make; it should be a choice for the players themselves. Of course this can lead to assholes abusing this freedom, but there's always going to be that trade-off.  I also think class limiting would make the server seem more "serious business-like" which I always thought was one thing BRBU tried to keep away from during pub/TFT/FNF play. Now if there is way that admins can turn the plug-in on and off without restarting the server every time then I would be ok with it. That way admins could turn it on when the situation calls for it and then turn it back off when things have settled down.

As far anti-micspam goes, I guess I'm ok with it if that's what Duck wants to do with his server. There's always the two other servers if you guys want to goof around with sound clips or whatever, within the "stop when asked" rule of course.
ScottyGrayskull
Unbalancer of the Internet

08-15-2008, 08:06 AM

(08-15-2008, 12:24 AM)CopulatingDuck link Wrote: Anti-Micspam (by FLOORMASTER of all people) - new plugin I just added. basically, it detects whether someone is using HLDJ/HLSS, etc. Play a sound byte longer than specified, and you'll automatically be perma-banned. Hopefully this will help pick up the slack whenever all our admins are out having lives (the nerve!)

Ohhh, neat.

Posting a message on the server (via the crontab) about this might not be a bad idea. Should help alleviate some accidental bans, and save admins from some grief from people wondering why they're suddenly banned for 3 hours. Smile

Caffeine`brb!u: /facepalm
Caffeine`brb!u: you have the technological ability of Dede
Caffeine`brb!u: OOOOOOO what does this button do
Caffeine`brb!u: *break*
Caffeine`brb!u: SCOTTY GET OUT OF MY SERVER
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM by ScottyGrayskull.)
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-15-2008, 08:07 AM

keep the anti-micspam for sure, takes the guessing out of "should i kick? some people like it, some people don't..." which is something i hate deciding.

class limits... not so much :-\

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Budr

08-15-2008, 08:29 AM

(08-15-2008, 08:07 AM)TDlove link Wrote: keep the anti-micspam for sure, takes the guessing out of "should i kick? some people like it, some people don't..." which is something i hate deciding.

This should never be a point of contention, if anyone objects to the spamming it should stop. Refusal to comply is a kick/ban-worthy offence.
ToiletDuck
BRB, Posting

08-15-2008, 08:31 AM

(08-15-2008, 08:29 AM)Budr link Wrote: [quote author=TDlove link=topic=1170.msg30798#msg30798 date=1218805627]
keep the anti-micspam for sure, takes the guessing out of "should i kick? some people like it, some people don't..." which is something i hate deciding.

This should never be a point of contention, if anyone objects to the spamming it should stop. Refusal to comply is a kick/ban-worthy offence.
[/quote]

it's not that, it's the backlash from everyone else that sucks.

[Image: vhs51j.gif]
[Image: rrmvpd.gif]
[Image: 5wfajm.gif]
[Image: 33cmd7m.gif]
[Image: s3g8xs.gif]
[Image: 2dmbam1.gif]
[Image: 1e5tuv.gif]
[Image: 1fzo94.jpg]
Budr

08-15-2008, 08:33 AM

(08-15-2008, 07:58 AM)Evil Cheese link Wrote: I really don't like class limiting. I know I haven't played very much lately and may be out of the loop on what goes on in #2, but things would have to be pretty bad for 24/7 class limiting to be warranted. You really are imposing a certain play style when you limit classes. I know, in theory no team should have more than 3 of anything, but I don't think that's a decision that should be up to an admin to make; it should be a choice for the players themselves. Of course this can lead to assholes abusing this freedom, but there's always going to be that trade-off.  I also think class limiting would make the server seem more "serious business-like" which I always thought was one thing BRBU tried to keep away from during pub/TFT/FNF play. Now if there is way that admins can turn the plug-in on and off without restarting the server every time then I would be ok with it. That way admins could turn it on when the situation calls for it and then turn it back off when things have settled down.

Quote for truth.

Also, one other point on mic-spamming. I can't remember anyone ever coming on the servers to spam and playing long sound files. Every time I've kicked/muted someone for griefing over voice-chat, it has been for repeatedly playing deliberately annoying sound bites. Obviously the plug-in would have no effect in these situations.
Budr

08-15-2008, 08:35 AM

(08-15-2008, 08:31 AM)TDlove link Wrote: it's not that, it's the backlash from everyone else that sucks.

I brought this exact point up previously and the consensus was just MTFU tell the whiny bitches to quit moaning. You're admin and if you feel someone should be booted, it's the law.

[Image: Judge_Dredd_promo_poster.jpg]