Hello There, Guest! Register

Its FRIDAY, what have you learned this week.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

11-29-2012, 09:45 AM

(11-29-2012, 08:57 AM)HeK link Wrote: ^

It's not Friday yet!

Rebecca Black - Friday (Lyrics)

A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

11-29-2012, 09:46 AM

OH GOD!?!?! WHAT HAVE I DONE??!?!!

k0ala
BRB, Posting

11-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Update/clarification:
White people don't get to say "no it isn't racist".

[Image: i9pkpXG.jpg]
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

11-29-2012, 01:03 PM

(11-29-2012, 12:29 PM)k0ala link Wrote: Update/clarification:
check your white privilege k0ala, gawd.

I have no idea what went down but I disagree with that statement.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

11-29-2012, 01:25 PM

(11-29-2012, 12:29 PM)k0ala link Wrote: Update/clarification:

sure they do... but damn, you'd better be ready to speak forcefully in explaining your reasoning to shut that screaming, fat black woman up. 

k0ala
BRB, Posting

11-29-2012, 01:33 PM

As an Irish/Italian mutt, I would be barred from supremacist organizations, so I don't think of myself as particularly proud of my whiteness.

But I made fun of my own experiences as a Midwesterner, trying to get by in a port city I'd just moved to, where everyone is working hard busting their butts to learn English. I was told that my performance sounded like I was making fun of people's accents, and I said that wasn't my intent.
I was told that racism is measured as an effect, not as an intention.

It sounded racist, according to someone else; and I had no defense to that, so I stopped to think about it, and then posted here. I should have stopped and thought a while longer, it looks like. Smile

Kor
Crits = Skill

11-29-2012, 01:48 PM

While I encourage meaningful dialog on any variety of topics, I'd ask that, on this particular issue, people remain eloquent and dignified.

Carry on.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

11-29-2012, 04:10 PM

I figure we have to be careful as well, because it depends on how the person listening interpreted what was being said.

Maybe that was just how they chose to interpret it, regardless of intent.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

11-29-2012, 04:13 PM

people who unreasonably cry racism are rarely eloquent or dignified, which makes it that much more of a challenge to discuss them in such a manner.  

Koala, as nice as taking others' feelings into consideration is a good thing, sometimes you have to stop and assess if they're reasonable people, and therefore reasonable feelings, because fuck all if their inability to be reasonable should affect you.  

Kor
Crits = Skill

11-29-2012, 05:08 PM

(11-29-2012, 04:13 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: people who unreasonably cry racism are rarely eloquent or dignified, which makes it that much more of a challenge to discuss them in such a manner.  

I was referring to the people here.

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
Didzo
Uninstalling

11-29-2012, 06:23 PM

(11-29-2012, 04:13 PM)LT Crow link Wrote: people who unreasonably cry racism are rarely eloquent or dignified, which makes it that much more of a challenge to discuss them in such a manner.  

Koala, as nice as taking others' feelings into consideration is a good thing, sometimes you have to stop and assess if they're reasonable people, and therefore reasonable feelings, because fuck all if their inability to be reasonable should affect you.  

I agree with this statement.

I didn't sense any racist thought processes or see any racist statements from you in the entirety of that exchange. Have more confidence in your words and intentions. Accusing someone of being racist needs a stronger argument than "this has to do with race and language barriers therefore racist" or whatever. It's a sensitive topic that warrants intelligent discussion, but it can get really stupid very quickly.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
rumsfald

11-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Some people have underdeveloped vocabularies, so when they say

"That's Racist!"

or

"That's Sexist!"

what they often mean is

"That's offensive to me."

Which, you really can't argue with. It doesn't help to get into an argument about whether your statement was about people with a hair or two on a knuckle or full-on hobbit hands. What matters is you offended someone, and they care enough about you to trust you with the fact that you hurt them. If you care about them, you should take the time to learn why they hurt, and how to not unintentionally do that again.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

11-29-2012, 10:58 PM

I see what you did there.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

11-30-2012, 01:05 AM

(11-29-2012, 05:08 PM)Kor link Wrote: [quote author=LT Crow link=topic=4539.msg257635#msg257635 date=1354223589]
people who unreasonably cry racism are rarely eloquent or dignified, which makes it that much more of a challenge to discuss them in such a manner.  

I was referring to the people here.

[/quote]

I reiterate; while a sensitive and careful diction which deliberately outlines a thing without directly addressing it may soften the blow of that which we may consider harsh and impolite, it doesn't always do the situation the justice it deserves.  It's like the times when all talking about the large muddy footprints, a distinct lack of space, and the smell- all of that- it only accomplishes the elephant in the room stomping all over your ass because you didn't deal with him directly.  No, I'll be blunt for the sake of immediate comprehension.

Sometimes people are fuck all ready to play to racism card because they think it'll vault them to some moral high ground where they can bask in the admiration of all those around while they hurl verbal boulders at you.  It's not because they care about you enough to enlighten you, it's because they're greedy, petty and simply motivated- "hey look at me scold this dude, isn't this cool?  I'm talking loudly and indignantly- and it's awesome."  You're not obligated to take that, you should stride to the top of their moral high ground and then jackslap the attitude out of them.

So Rummy says sometimes they call racism because they don't know how to tell you that you hurt them and they care about you, and I say sometimes they do it because they're assholes.    

It's now Friday on the East Coast and I learned that I'm one jaded bastard.

:'(

k0ala
BRB, Posting

11-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Well, the original story was how I was flummoxed by the process of ordering a burger at a Jack-In-The-Box in the bay area. It knocked me on my ass that I had to try so hard to understand someone speaking English. But my junk-food cravings won out. Fifteen years later I'm making a living using Far East instruction manuals translated to English and reading them out loud to Near East customers.

Every new conversation is an attempt to understand, and a willingness to admit wrong actions is one of the pillars upholding human society.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM by k0ala.)
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

12-01-2012, 10:35 AM

[Image: dTcy1.jpeg]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

12-01-2012, 11:07 AM

religionist?  is that even a word?    nevermind.

Hobospartan
BRB, Posting

12-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Some people will lose their shit when you say "Have a good night man"

(04-18-2011, 10:39 PM)zaneyard link Wrote:yeah dude getting a finger in the ass is like taking a really good poop
(06-12-2012, 07:48 AM)HeK link Wrote:And people wonder why the US has the highest crime and murder rates out of any developed or first-world nation.

Total lack of metric system.
(01-27-2013, 11:14 PM)LT Crow link Wrote:This is why you keep a stocked bar.  You don't ever run out of booze.  You just might have to switch to a different drink.
(11-05-2013, 08:35 PM)rumbot link Wrote:I don't think I've ever said this, but, wow that's an amazing dress and whoever designed it should get an award.
(01-03-2014, 12:08 AM)CPT Crow link Wrote:I have bourbon on my keyboard.  It got there through my nose.
[Image: brosquadtaghobro-1.png]
matter11
BRB, Posting

01-04-2013, 12:48 AM

Described what "hipster" means with a Parisian exchange student and found that the French equivalent are known as "BoBos", it's an abbreviation for bourgeois-bohemian.

[Image: SKihE.gif]
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

01-04-2013, 12:54 AM

(01-04-2013, 12:48 AM)matter11 link Wrote: Described what "hipster" means with a Parisian exchange student and found that the French equivalent are known as "BoBos", it's an abbreviation for bourgeois-bohemian.
gotta love how the French straight up admit that hipsters are rich kids pretending to be poor