Hello There, Guest! Register

So, who makes the best MP3 players these days?
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

05-18-2010, 05:12 PM

to reiterate because I think you missed it in IRC: there's always rockbox if you want to play ogg/flac etc etc

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
rumsfald

05-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Ok, so the current ipod classic is a huge cold turd. Worst apple product I've had.

Now, I'm not the hugest apple fanboy, but I've had an imac rev b, ibook g4, 2 3G ipods, ipod touch, ipod nano, ipad, and most recently the ipod classic. (fwiw I've also had like 3 winders boxen and 2 winders laptops in the same timeframe, and an iriver player). I am predisposed to want to like the classic.

My 3g ipods lasted forever. bulletproof. I'd replaced the batteries 2x in each. Finally, the firewire connector got way bent out of shape in 1 to the point it would no longer charge. So I looked to replace it. The other still works, but the battery has gone again.

Firstly, got the ipod touch. Let me tell you, any mp3 player that you can't press real buttons on to play, pause, vol up/down, skip, rewind sucks. I like to keep the ipod in a pocket/bag and just press a button to skip. I don't want to pull the shitting thing out, use the slider, then try to finger a virtual button to skip. What a horrible leap backwards in UI.

Secondly, got the ipod classic. 160gb. HD died in 13 months - 1 month out of warranty. Bought a second 120GB (cause they discontinued the 160). That lasted 5 months and died the same HD death. Got a replacement this time - it lasted 3 months before having a different random reboot/restart error for a month (it bluescreens). But because I can't replicate it, Apple won't replace it for me. That's 3 faulty classics in less than 2 years.

At this point, with the increases in SSD capacity and speed, I'd never get another HD-based mp3 player again, but haven't been able to find one that has the capacity (>80gb) and decent buttons to tempt me.
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

05-18-2010, 10:37 PM

(05-18-2010, 09:04 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: Ok, so the current ipod classic is a huge cold turd. Worst apple product I've had.

Now, I'm not the hugest apple fanboy, but I've had an imac rev b, ibook g4, 2 3G ipods, ipod touch, ipod nano, ipad, and most recently the ipod classic. (fwiw I've also had like 3 winders boxen and 2 winders laptops in the same timeframe, and an iriver player). I am predisposed to want to like the classic.

My 3g ipods lasted forever. bulletproof. I'd replaced the batteries 2x in each. Finally, the firewire connector got way bent out of shape in 1 to the point it would no longer charge. So I looked to replace it. The other still works, but the battery has gone again.

Firstly, got the ipod touch. Let me tell you, any mp3 player that you can't press real buttons on to play, pause, vol up/down, skip, rewind sucks. I like to keep the ipod in a pocket/bag and just press a button to skip. I don't want to pull the shitting thing out, use the slider, then try to finger a virtual button to skip. What a horrible leap backwards in UI.

Secondly, got the ipod classic. 160gb. HD died in 13 months - 1 month out of warranty. Bought a second 120GB (cause they discontinued the 160). That lasted 5 months and died the same HD death. Got a replacement this time - it lasted 3 months before having a different random reboot/restart error for a month (it bluescreens). But because I can't replicate it, Apple won't replace it for me. That's 3 faulty classics in less than 2 years.

At this point, with the increases in SSD capacity and speed, I'd never get another HD-based mp3 player again, but haven't been able to find one that has the capacity (>80gb) and decent buttons to tempt me.

my current ipod classic has lasted me five years or so (the model that came out a year or two before the ipod touch).  i had to replace the model once because several drops, but it's worked great since then despite a couple bad sectors that freezes what ever song seems to be stored there.
zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

05-18-2010, 10:58 PM

rummy brings up an interesting point
HDD vs Flash

I'm not sure of what I had in my previous players, but my brother's hdd based one died after one small drop

hmm, time to do some research?

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
copulatingduck

05-19-2010, 03:26 AM

i got a video, basically a classic? idk im drunk. i bought it refurbished a few years ago, dont know specifically but it's def more than 2. That said, because you have a relatively small collection of music, I'd say go SSD, don't even bother with platters if you don't have to, esp if you want to be active with it and such

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

05-19-2010, 04:49 AM

My 30g iPod Video is something like 5 years old now, thing is a tank, and I'd still prefer an HDD to flash simply due to size. Sure some people like Rummy get lemons, but for every person who gets a lemon there's someone whose abused the heck out of theirs and had nothing go wrong.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
rumsfald

05-19-2010, 05:09 AM

sounds like you all got the the 5th gen, before the classic came out in 2007.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

The newer model sucks. They discontinued the 160gb due to the high rate of HD failure. And my first 120gb replacement died the same fate. They just aren't made as well - the shock absorbers are puny compared to my old 2003 models.
copulatingduck

05-19-2010, 11:37 AM

(05-19-2010, 05:09 AM)rumsfald link Wrote: sounds like you all got the the 5th gen, before the classic came out in 2007.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

The newer model sucks. They discontinued the 160gb due to the high rate of HD failure. And my first 120gb replacement died the same fate. They just aren't made as well - the shock absorbers are puny compared to my old 2003 models.

ahhhh, good to know when mine craps out. thanks for the link

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

09-01-2010, 12:33 AM

I have one of the 80gig classics from 2007.  I use it literally every day, for at least 3 hours (podcast junkie).  I've never really had an issue with it.  Not a single one.  I still get over 8 hours of battery life on a single charge, and it's still the battery that came with it.  Had an iPod Photo before that (from about 2004-2007).  That one held up alright, I suppose, but eventually crapped out with a dead HD.  I'll be stuck with Apple mp3 players the rest of my life as the ease-of-use related to iTunes and podcasts.

My mom got the same iPod that I orginally had (the iPod Photo from 2004) and the thing is still running today.  She doesn't use hers as much as me, but still probably an hour a day at least.  It's having trouble lately, and it's about time replace it.  Anyone have any non-Apple recommendations?  She's only planning to use it for music, so don't need all the other bells and whistles.  Also, the cheaper the better.  I think people were mentioning something called a "Clip" or something?
Kor
Crits = Skill

09-01-2010, 01:13 AM

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-mu...mp3-player

I've had a Clip(the predecessor to the Plus) for about a year now. it's easily the best package out there; a no bullshit mp3 player that doesn't make you pay for the lifestyle horseshit Apple pushes on you. Drag and drop right from your hard drive, excellent battery life(12ish hours a charge), and the standard buds it comes with(alongside the player itself) possess a surprising high fidelity. Downsides to the player is I can only charge it when my computer is on(via the USB cable) and it possesses no sleep mode(Pausing music or idling the player has it turn off after about 10 seconds or so). I'd recommend it as a solid alternative to anything Apple is pushing these days,; it does what it was made to do, with no real hangups.

Edit: Also, for a another perspective:

http://anythingbutipod.com/

[Image: sig.jpg]

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. -Albert Einstein
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2010, 01:25 AM by Kor.)
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

09-01-2010, 03:21 AM

yeah i've had a cheapo sansa mp3 for like 2 years now, works fine and holds a p long charge, i think i got it for like $50 or something. they dont appear to manufacture it anymore, which is sad, but i'm sure the newer ones are a bit better
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

09-01-2010, 06:32 AM

My 1st Gen iPod video has been nothing but a tank, surviving sitting in my car at freezing temperatures for several years, battery still holds a reasonably long charge, and still works like a charm.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

09-01-2010, 02:57 PM

(09-01-2010, 06:32 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: My 1st Gen iPod video has been nothing but a tank, surviving sitting in my car at freezing temperatures for several years, battery still holds a reasonably long charge, and still works like a charm.
Same, except I think mine's a second gen.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

09-01-2010, 05:24 PM

edit: only looked at your first paragraph

Geoff
Real World Azn

09-01-2010, 07:17 PM

new ipod nano = babby ipod touch

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
EarthlingJohn
BRB, Posting

09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

new ipod nano is a piece of crap.

>Sad

+If you can read this, you aren't checking your back+
Luca Shoal
Some king of fox thing

09-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Any opinions on the iPod Touch? My Zen is dying (after a good 5 years at least.) And I want a new player, apps make the Touch the frontrunner for me.

And with strange aeons, even Death may lay down in the street and die.

Geoff
Real World Azn

09-01-2010, 09:22 PM

(09-01-2010, 08:16 PM)EarthlingJohn link Wrote: new ipod nano is a piece of crap.

>Sad

sounds like u mad because they whipped out a radically new product when you are stuck with old tech. 

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
Black Aspen
BRB, Posting

09-01-2010, 10:50 PM

I'd rather have the 5th gen nano than the new one.  Read Rumsfald's post on the touch to understand my reasoning:

(05-18-2010, 09:04 PM)rumsfald link Wrote: Firstly, got the ipod touch. Let me tell you, any mp3 player that you can't press real buttons on to play, pause, vol up/down, skip, rewind sucks. I like to keep the ipod in a pocket/bag and just press a button to skip. I don't want to pull the shitting thing out, use the slider, then try to finger a virtual button to skip. What a horrible leap backwards in UI. 

Amen.
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-15-2010, 01:38 AM

I'm bumping this thread due to the fact that I might be interested in owning a music player.

What's best? Some iPod varient, Zune HD, generic MP3 player, or what?

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]