Hello There, Guest! Register

What is a girl gamer?
Vandamguy

07-22-2010, 05:38 PM

(07-22-2010, 01:30 PM)dagrett link Wrote: from what i've experienced, the fact that theyre treated differently causes women to just stop putting that out there, like if you're constantly getting harrassed for being gay, you're gonna stop telling people you're gay, yknow?
not sure what you're talking about digg, but im sorry people treat you like that.
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

07-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Hell, you could even just look at Brb.u.

How many chicks are there in its history? How many stayed? If we asked them, I wonder how many initially got some kind of flak/thing for outing themselves as female?
Geoff
Real World Azn

07-22-2010, 06:00 PM

OMG A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that basically sums up brbu's history with females. 

(10-06-2011, 04:24 AM)Vandamguy link Wrote:just ignore everything Geoff posts its always trolling or ignorant drivel
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

07-22-2010, 06:07 PM

(07-22-2010, 05:38 PM)Vandamguy link Wrote: [quote author=dagrett link=topic=4811.msg165446#msg165446 date=1279823434]
from what i've experienced, the fact that theyre treated differently causes women to just stop putting that out there, like if you're constantly getting harrassed for being gay, you're gonna stop telling people you're gay, yknow?
not sure what you're talking about digg, but im sorry people treat you like that.
[/quote]

i thought i was hiding it so well Sad
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

07-22-2010, 06:21 PM

You think women have it bad try being paper on this forum.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

07-22-2010, 06:39 PM

(07-22-2010, 06:21 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: You think women have it bad try being paper on this forum.

Or a downie
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

07-22-2010, 06:41 PM

(07-22-2010, 03:12 PM)Surf314 link Wrote: [quote author=dagrett link=topic=4811.msg165446#msg165446 date=1279823434]
from what i've experienced, the fact that theyre treated differently causes women to just stop putting that out there, like if you're constantly getting harrassed for being gay, you're gonna stop telling people you're gay, yknow?

Yea I see this. This phenomena seems to divide women up into 3 camps: those that don't want to be known because of the attention, those that want the attention and those that could care less. Personally I can't wait until everything normalizes and it's just "oh a woman, hi person."
[/quote]Replace woman with any sort of minority (especially racial and sexual ones), and you've just described my vision of a perfect future.

(07-22-2010, 05:49 PM)Luinbariel link Wrote: Hell, you could even just look at Brb.u.

How many chicks are there in its history? How many stayed? If we asked them, I wonder how many initially got some kind of flak/thing for outing themselves as female?
I can think of four. One was in it just for the OMG GURL attention, one to find a husband (DSmile, then you & crystal who fall into the 'couldn't care less' camp described above. There may be others but I don't recall any.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM by at0m.)
rumsfald

07-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Yes, the definition of girl gamer will change. Some. And society will too, some. Somewhat as a generational effect, as more people (men and women) grow up with games, the more "normalized" it will become. It'll be faster than you think. The switch from gaming as "nerdy" to "mainstream" has been less than 10 years, and gaining great steam. See also, social gaming, or "casual," this piece by Bogost is swell http://www.bogost.com/blog/cow_clicker_1.shtml. If you don't think that will even out gender differences, then you're a dope because social gaming is changing the definition of "gaming." That's why we even have definitions for "hardcore gamers" and "casual gamers," which, like 3-4 years ago, were not prevalent. Wii and Rock Band and DS did a ton to change that (though tetris, minesweeper, and solitaire led the way).

But, women who game will always be sexualized. Why do I say that? Well, many men still give bonus points to women who: can drive stick, hunt, follow professional sports, camp, drink beer, etc. You know why? GUYS LIKE GIRLS WHO LIKE THINGS THAT GUYS DO. duh. So as long as a subset of guys like video games, those guys will continue to crush on girls that share that interest. Why does this have to be? Because women control access to sex, and thus will always be sexualized. The average woman has her pick of many potential partners, the average woman determines who she sleeps with. Women can chose to, or more often not, sleep with whichever guys that hit on her that she likes. Guys, on the other hand, are socialized (or biologically driven, as well), to get used to rejection, to get used to not having the last say in when sex happens. It's a supply/demand thing - guys are going to continue crave that for which they cannot have. Women cannot have control over whether sex happens or not AND whether guys lust. Both are mutually exclusive. So, until you all start becoming whores, men will still continue to crave you.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

07-23-2010, 11:48 AM

(07-22-2010, 06:00 PM)geoff link Wrote: OMG A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that basically sums up brbu's history with females. 

yeah... :-\