Hello There, Guest! Register

"I'll have what he's having." (The Beer Review thread).
rumsfald

08-21-2010, 05:53 AM

[Image: BeerGirl.jpg]

Like women, beer is lovely. Maybe even moreso, cause hangovers only last a day. This thread is the instruction manual for sharing our love of beer.

There are many ways to share your love of hopped beverages here on BeeRBeerU.com (that's how the Canadiens say it).

You can....Make a proper review and submit it to Surf, as Karrde has done.

Or you might....When you wake up the next morning, make a post in the Official Drunk Thread.

You oughta....When drunk, post in any thread you like. It's a time-honored tradition here.

And introducing.....Participate in the Bi-Curious About Beer thread. Yes, we are BABies, as we want to suck the golden nectar of brew from the luscious nipple of the draught. That's what this thread is aboot.

[Image: beer-girl_9692.jpg]

The Bi-Curious About Beer "featured beer of the week" organizing principles.

1. Every two weeks or so, ONE person picks a beer. And posts it in this thread.

2. During the ensuing two weeks, we all try to find and sample said beer.

3. After proper sampling, share your reactions here.

4. Your reactions can be formal beer reviews, like beer advocate, or other beer-review sites, or it can be plain. There are no rules other than sharing your honest reaction to brew - all forms of expression will be welcome from "wall of text" review to simple "DO NOT WANT AGAIN."

5. Don't overly diss on another's reaction. Again, like women, beer comes in all varieties, and there are plenty of different types to fit all of our pleasures. But, be open to people encouraging you to try new brews, cause, like women, all beers are lovely.

[Image: beer_bottle_mouth_girl.jpg]

6. If you want to volunteer to be on the list those that pick a beer on a bi-monthly basis, send me a PM. Don't post it in this thread, I don't want it cluttered up. I'll post a list of volunteers so folks can see when they are coming up on rotation.

7. Karrde, who is the inspiration for this thread, and my humble self, will be the curators.

8. Don't piss on the carpet, man. It ties the room together.

[Image: lebowski_rug.jpg]

9. If some people want to consistently find hard-to-find brews, they will soon be discovered. That doesn't mean they can't host...they can! it just means the more esoteric you pick, the less participation you are likely to have. I think the goal of this is to have fun, share new brews, and have fun. Not to show off your beer-penis or play stumper.

10. Good, dive-brews should not be discouraged. The other week I was feeling nostaligic, and kinda trashy, so I picked up Mickey's grenades for the first time in like 16 years. They were surprisingly better than I expected. We all need to be trashy, on occasion.

11. The folks who manage the front door, Surf, Caff, HEk and others, have full right to "promote" really good reviews to the BRBu blog. This thread will be fodder for them. By posting here you give them permission to copy-pasta your drunken ode to Milwaukee's Best over there.

12. Be Excellent To One Another.

[Image: beer-girl2.jpg]

rumsfald

08-21-2010, 05:53 AM

THE LISTING OF WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER TO REVIEW BEER

If you don't PM me, it don't count.

Karrde 8/22
rumsfald 8/22
LT Crow 9/5
Dtrain323i steps to the plate on 9/19.
shadowcast on 10/3
TBD..
END OF LINE
rumsfald

08-21-2010, 05:54 AM

Hmm. My post disappeared....

Musta been the tequila.

Anyways, do-over. The first beer to share is

[Image: wineaffairs_hacker.jpg]

Hacker-Pschorr Weisse (or Hefe-Weisse). To be honest, I've had it with both the Weisse and Hefe Weisse labels, and can't tell the difference.

But it's a great German bier.

[Image: german-beer.jpg]

MMmm. Germans.

For me, this is what "beer" is at it's essence. Like fresh bread. Light. Somewhat sweet. Perfect on a summer's day. A good opening beer, the one to start off a night. Good with a twist of lemon or slice of orange.

For a mix-up, do as the Muncheners do, pour yourself half-weisse and half-lemonade (or lemon-lime soda). It's called a Raddler, german for "rider," cause it's what the bicycle riders drink to refresh in the summer.

After 2 or 3, it does get a little sweet on me sometimes, a little too sweet for my liking. I don't think that's a problem with the beer, just a signal to me that it's time to switch to the tequila.

So, go grab yourself one, pop the top, and tell me whatcha think.

PROUST!

[Image: German+beer+steins.jpg]
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

08-21-2010, 11:40 AM

First beer review is up, we are starting out with a double assignment.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
rumsfald

08-22-2010, 08:35 PM

(08-21-2010, 11:40 AM)Surf314 link Wrote: First beer review is up, we are starting out with a double assignment.

SURFINGTON - The "discuss" button throws an error.

Karrde, sorry to throw up a double-assignment and step on your toes....but I'm sure we can all handle two beers at once.

I don't know I can find Hop in the Dark though...Never seen it.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Uh also, surf, front page is all fucked up Tongue

Also, if I can find that.  I know a few places that might carry it.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=4920.msg170592#msg170592 date=1282527414]

Yea, HeK is going to have to look into it and he just got back from a long weekend and two flat tires

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
HeK
Rotartsinimda

08-22-2010, 11:28 PM

(08-22-2010, 10:06 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=[fr31ns]Karrde link=topic=4920.msg170592#msg170592 date=1282527414]

Yea, HeK is going to have to look into it and he just got back from a long weekend and two flat tires
[/quote]

Alrighty, fixed it.

The front page not the wheels, those are fucked beyond repair.
exanimo2
Lurker

08-23-2010, 07:57 PM

I started writing reviews on Beer Advocate, my most recent.

Ah, beatification, supreme happiness..

On warm humid summer days in New York humidity seeps in through the cracks of the farm's silo and mixes with fermenting corn, grains, and grass. It releases a poisonous odor that can only really be traced to farms, the smell of silage. I hold this smell very dear to my heart so you can only imagine how I felt when I eagerly awaited opening my bottle of beatification.

I bought bottles of beatification during a visit to the brewery in Santa Rosa. I first tried it fresh 2 years ago when I first bought it and was rather disappointed. It was my first sour beer and was immediately turned off. No malt or hop flavors to speak of and epically sour. Was it a beer?
After several months a strange craving came to me and I needed a sour brew in a bad way. I don't know how, but the very taste I had once hated had grown on me while denied of it. I tried to get the same degree of sour in other sour beers but to no avail.

After popping the cork I was overwhelmed again with the warm smell of silage, there is just no other description for it, wonderful. Pressed for glasses I poured the beer into a wine glass. The hazy yellow beer seemed to glisten in the sun under its quickly dissipating one finger bright white head. I also found that inside it took a more orange/gold color, beautiful even if it was devoid of retention.

The beer goes down very smooth with slightly low carbonation and a sour taste. It has a tart, dry champagne like finish.

How does one describe the taste of sour? I think this is one reason I have grown to love sour beers. The taste is created by incredibly special and often very old yeast (some strains have been reused for hundreds of years) that can not be quantified, but only experienced. You can try loads of different sour beers, but each one is unique in its own way without an accurate description of the taste or how the sour flavor isn't exactly the same. Sure you can pick up on earthy, citrus, and very subtle wood notes, but nothing can prepare you for the unique sour flavors that your mouth will water to inside this beer.

The only thing I can say about this beer is you have to try it. You'll either love it, or hate it. But I think it is beatifying indeed.

I've got a crush on Karth's sister Ianki.
rumsfald

08-23-2010, 08:48 PM

That's a nice review, exanimo.

But...

What does Karrde look like?

SAY WHAT AGAIN?

Does Karrde look like a bitch?

Keep your beer review for your turn. Oh wait, you don't have a turn cause you didn't sign up yet.

Step 1) sign up my sending me a PM

Step 2) wait your turn

Step 3) post your review.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't want everyone who has great beers pent up to share to blow their load and post them all in the first week. Cause, realistically speaking, we ain't all gonna be able to find multiple beers at once, and as soon as the new brews are off the front page the chances decrease that you'll try them. And the point is to try new ones and SHARE and DISCUSS with the brbubians.

If you really got a hardon for a beer and want to show your epeen review AND CAN'T WAIT, fine. Just do it in the drunk thread. or the "this made my day" thread. Or the "it's friday what have you learned" thread. Or "the longest thread." Or, if it sucked, the FML thread. We've got a lot of other places for chaos --- and we derail nearly all threads with booze talk---which is great-- BUT: this thread is for orderly sharing of beers.

I've already fucked up and stepped on Karrde's toes, so I'm not innocent either. But from here on, we play nice, and we play by rules.

Cheers!

(I do look forward to finding that sour...but I got to find Karrde's first).
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Aha!  Found you I have Hacker-Pschorr Weissen.  Reactions to come when I'm done finishing some costume work.

<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

08-24-2010, 10:34 PM

I'll sign up. But I have to go get a pick 6 from the rich folk beer/wine store on friday first.

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-24-2010, 10:54 PM

[Image: hackerpschorrweisse.jpg]

Hacker-Pschorr Weisse /Hefeweisse
Munich, Germany
Style: hefeweizen
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 13
Size: 6 12 oz bottles
Price I Paid: $9.99 + tax (France 44th Wine & Spirits in Minneapolis, MN)
Other Information: “100% natural. Brewed with pure spring water, Hacker-Pschorr's centuries-old, exclusive yeast strain, Hallertau hops and 60% malted wheat and 40% malted barley."

Ok, a bit of a disclaimer here.  I went in expecting to not like this.  I don't tend to drink a lot of wheat beers and as a result, I don't know a great deal about them.  That being said, this is the best weisse I have ever had.  But we'll get to that in a minute.
The first thing I noticed when I poured this was the beautiful golden color.  I'm reminded how most wheat beers simply look pale and uninteresting.  And I'm not just talking Wit style.  But the vibrant color of this beer really interested me and got me thinking how much I'd like to drink it.  The head is thin and dissipates quickly.  Although I tend to like to like a nice head, this is probably to style and not a problem.  The opacity was a nice touch as well.  Traditional hefeweizen styles are unfiltered and this is a no exception.  Again, very positive in my book.
The smell was nice.  I could immediately smell the sweet character of this beer.  I could even detect a vague citrus scent, which reminded me of oranges.  I imagine that orange or orange enhanced foods (think orange blossom chicken) would go well with this.
The taste was slightly underwhelming after experiencing the smell.  I would have expected a much more powerful flavor.  This beer has a nice sweet flavor, though the citrus is far harder to detect.  However, in comparison to other wheat beers this is the clear winner in my opinion.  Again, though, I do not have a great deal of experience in this department so your mileage may vary.  The finish is exceedingly clean; leaving almost no aftertaste behind.
The mouthfeel was fairly light.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it compares with light lagers, but it's definitely on the lighter end of things.  Certainly it's no heavy ale.  Very pleasant and easy to drink.
The drinkability is....oh dear.  This goes down smooth.  VERY smooth.  Almost dangerously so.  Easy to drink – nice on a hot summer evening.
Overall this is a very solid beer.  I can't see drinking this all the time.  For me, this would be a summer indulgence.  It's very nice for a hot summer evening (or really any time during the summer).  Its character lends it to being crisp and refreshing.  In addition, this would make for a nice transition beer for the inexperienced looking to transition their tastes to something more refined so to speak.  Those who have found themselves content with Leinenkugel's, Samuel Adams (this isn't a shot at either since I still enjoy both), and others but wish to expand their horizons would find Hacker-Pschorr Weisse/Hefeweisse easy to drink, but hard to master.

rumsfald

08-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Karrde, for a rare occasion, I have found someone with more words than I. I agree with your pros and cons.

[Image: 1233928590_citizen-kane-clapping.gif]
exanimo2
Lurker

08-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Just sayin'.  8)

I've got a crush on Karth's sister Ianki.
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

08-29-2010, 05:41 PM

I found it.

[Image: IMAG0151.jpg]

$7.94 at Jungle Jim's for a 6 pack.

I would just like to start by saying:  This was a triumph. 

Rummy, excellent beer, I'm going to be trying to find someplace in Lexington that stocks it.  Everyone in the room was blown away by the smoothness of taste and the great aroma.  I could just quote Karrde here for a more technical breakdown, but yeah.  Although, I do disagree on one point.  I would definitely drink this beer regularly. 

Now, about Jungle Jim's...  My friday night this weekend: 

[Image: IMAG0150.jpg]

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

08-31-2010, 04:45 PM

DOGFISH HEAD FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!  Seriously, why the hell can't we get that in Minnesota.  The imperial IPA is really good.  Also, we need to get more ppl here to sign up to review.  I say Ex should do the next one.  Gonna go checkout a local microbrew store tonight too since I'm heading to the north side of the cities anyway.  Mill's Fleet Farm can eat a dick.  Forgot to take the ink tag off the overalls I bought so I now have to drive 30 min just to get it off.

rumsfald

09-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Leftenant Crow, you are on tap for selecting a beer on 9/5, for us to try an taste by 9/19.

Also, need more people to sign up to be part of the rotation. PM me, bitches. I'm looking at you Caff, Kor, Vandam, Shadowcast, Ianki, CDuck, Mr.314.
Surf314
Seriously, this week I'll play PS

09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

I would but I'm still having allergy med issues. I mean they are mostly gone but I just found that beer is bad when taking them. I can't wait for allergy season to be over.

[Image: samjackson-4.png]
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

09-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Beer Review incoming... as soon as I sober up... tomorrow.