Hello There, Guest! Register

Broken Headset (Sound being weird)
DragonEkarus
BRB, Posting

08-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Okay, so here we go again, another problem with my PC junk. This time it's my headset. I use a Razer Carcharias headset, I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky with the "Complete" mod installed when suddenly the sound got weird. My pistol wasn't going "Bang" it was more of a pathetic cough, tried rebooting and that didn't help, tried my headset on another PC and the problem moved with the headset. When I'm listening to music it sounds like the base is all together gone or really, really quiet, vocals are also similarly non-existent.

Buying a new headset isn't an option right now so I'm hoping this is just a technical oversight or something.. can anyone help? O.=.o

[Image: tumblr_lqbldlY8UP1qcdsqoo1_500.gif]
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-26-2010, 06:33 PM

First check your wire to see if it got frayed, smooshed, or otherwise damaged, sometimes you can fix a bad wire, if its in the internals of the headphones, you might be able to fix a loose solder connection, but that might be about it.

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-26-2010, 08:03 PM

You could have blow the drivers, but it could also be a short. Could be in the cups or at the connector, but more likely it's in the cable somewhere. Maybe you could send it in for repair? I don't know what kind of warranty you have with it.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

08-26-2010, 09:55 PM

If it was a short, he'd be unlikely to get any sound at all, sounds more like a blown driver to me, but unless he dropped them or listened to something REALLY REALLY LOUD then that's also unlikely. Checking the cord on both ends isn't a bad idea. Is it just one side, or both? If you examine the tip of the plug, does it appear bent in any way? How expensive a headset was it?DERP IT WAS A CARCHARIAS That's got a pretty big impact on how much customer service you can expect out of the company that made it. Bug Razer about it and see what they say. I don't know what their warranty policy is though, especially if you didn't register them when you bought them :/

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

08-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Pretty sure this is actually a severed ground wire. If you can find the point in the cable where it's broken you can attempt a repair, but yeah, contacting razer is your best bet.

DragonEkarus
BRB, Posting

08-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Folk keep saying "Blown Driver" wouldn't that mean it wouldn't sound weird on other PCs?

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-27-2010, 09:25 AM

(08-27-2010, 09:16 AM)Ekarus Ryndren link Wrote: Folk keep saying "Blown Driver" wouldn't that mean it wouldn't sound weird on other PCs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_driver

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
DragonEkarus
BRB, Posting

08-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Unless a "Blown Driver" causes no visible damage I don't see anything wrong with the headset, from opening it up and looking at it I see nothing wrong with it (no disconnected wires, no tears in the Speaker driver, nothing)

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

08-27-2010, 05:19 PM

If the speaker driver is physically damaged, it'll sound the same everywhere. But the same could be said of any other cabling issue short of there being something wrong with the particular jack you're using on your PC.

http://www.howtodothings.com/automotive/...blown.html

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu