Hello There, Guest! Register

Steam treasure hunt
Wyrmidon
BRB, Posting

12-06-2010, 05:12 PM

So, Steam has made a treasure hunt of sorts. It seems like a fun chance to win stuff, also hats for tf2 if you participate. rules and such are linked.

http://store.steampowered.com/treasurehunt

[Image: believebanner7.jpg]
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

12-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Haaats

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
[Image: lolsgcatgunhugger.gif]
Strangest comment I've read sofar
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

12-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Alternate Entry: To manually enter the Sweepstakes, each eligible entrant must print his or her name, address, city, state, country, postal code, email address, Steam account name, and telephone number, as well as the name of the Treasure Hunt objective that the entry is for, on a self-addressed 4x6 note card and mail the completed form to: Valve Corporation, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688. Note cards mailed in envelopes will not be accepted. No e-mailed or faxed alternate entries are eligible. Facsimiles, photocopies or mechanical reproductions of entries will be void. An alternate entry must be postmarked during the applicable Treasure Hunt period to be eligible. To be eligible for the Grand Prize Drawing, an alternative entrant must have entered at least 10 Treasure Hunt objective drawings and then provide an additional alternative entry for the Grand Prize Drawing, postmarked December 20, 2010. Alternate entries received after December 31, 2010 will not be eligible for any Sweepstakes. Each user may submit one alternative entry per Treasure Hunt objective. Proof of sending or submitting an alternate entry is not proof of receipt of such alternate entry.

good news everyone! you dont need to buy a ton of expensive games you wouldnt have played anyways!
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

12-06-2010, 06:03 PM

O3o chime was rather calming to play[Image: koopheadtempbush.gif]

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-06-2010, 06:38 PM

And then I had a wishlist all of a sudden.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Turtle
Justin Bieber

12-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Finished half the objectives by doing nothing.

Smile

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-06-2010, 08:13 PM

(12-06-2010, 05:32 PM)diglett link Wrote: Alternate Entry: To manually enter the Sweepstakes, each eligible entrant must print his or her name, address, city, state, country, postal code, email address, Steam account name, and telephone number, as well as the name of the Treasure Hunt objective that the entry is for, on a self-addressed 4x6 note card and mail the completed form to: Valve Corporation, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688. Note cards mailed in envelopes will not be accepted. No e-mailed or faxed alternate entries are eligible. Facsimiles, photocopies or mechanical reproductions of entries will be void. An alternate entry must be postmarked during the applicable Treasure Hunt period to be eligible. To be eligible for the Grand Prize Drawing, an alternative entrant must have entered at least 10 Treasure Hunt objective drawings and then provide an additional alternative entry for the Grand Prize Drawing, postmarked December 20, 2010. Alternate entries received after December 31, 2010 will not be eligible for any Sweepstakes. Each user may submit one alternative entry per Treasure Hunt objective. Proof of sending or submitting an alternate entry is not proof of receipt of such alternate entry.

good news everyone! you dont need to buy a ton of expensive games you wouldnt have played anyways!

You know this is all due to it being illegal to require someone to purchase something to enter a contest  Tongue

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
beep beep diglett
Uninstalling

12-06-2010, 08:22 PM

(12-06-2010, 08:13 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=diglett link=topic=5211.msg186396#msg186396 date=1291674769]
Alternate Entry: To manually enter the Sweepstakes, each eligible entrant must print his or her name, address, city, state, country, postal code, email address, Steam account name, and telephone number, as well as the name of the Treasure Hunt objective that the entry is for, on a self-addressed 4x6 note card and mail the completed form to: Valve Corporation, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688. Note cards mailed in envelopes will not be accepted. No e-mailed or faxed alternate entries are eligible. Facsimiles, photocopies or mechanical reproductions of entries will be void. An alternate entry must be postmarked during the applicable Treasure Hunt period to be eligible. To be eligible for the Grand Prize Drawing, an alternative entrant must have entered at least 10 Treasure Hunt objective drawings and then provide an additional alternative entry for the Grand Prize Drawing, postmarked December 20, 2010. Alternate entries received after December 31, 2010 will not be eligible for any Sweepstakes. Each user may submit one alternative entry per Treasure Hunt objective. Proof of sending or submitting an alternate entry is not proof of receipt of such alternate entry.

You know this is all due to it being illegal to require someone to purchase something to enter a contest  Tongue
[/quote]

yeah, im just posting incase someone doesnt want to buy stuff and still wants to do this. sidenote: tf2 hats are unavailable if you do this
Vongore
The Chilean God of Lightning

12-06-2010, 09:44 PM

The guys ar Valve Marketing dept are freaking marketing geniuses D:

Turtle
Justin Bieber

12-06-2010, 10:14 PM

I want to work at steam so i can take all of versus' money

Coppanuva
Coob enforcement officer 1st class

12-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Where does it say that about hats.
Turtle
Justin Bieber

12-06-2010, 10:31 PM

(12-06-2010, 10:21 PM)Coppanuva link Wrote: Where does it say that about hats.
On the mid right of the page dummy

Coppanuva
Coob enforcement officer 1st class

12-06-2010, 11:09 PM

(12-06-2010, 10:31 PM)Turtle link Wrote: [quote author=Coppanuva link=topic=5211.msg186430#msg186430 date=1291692087]
Where does it say that about hats.
On the mid right of the page dummy
[/quote]
Duly noted. Thank you good sir for you have given me sight.
backfire
Uninstalling

12-07-2010, 12:04 AM

First look at this I'm like "Ptth, I'm not gunna buy some games to get achivements just so I have a slightly higher chance to win some games or get another tf2 hat."

Then I notice it's 75% off... and there went a buck twenty five of my money.

[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
2.4mb sig ノ(ಠ‿‿ಠノ)            (╯ಠ‿‿ಠ)╯︵bıs qɯ4˙2
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

12-07-2010, 12:09 AM

(12-07-2010, 12:04 AM)backfire link Wrote: First look at this I'm like "Ptth, I'm not gunna buy some games to get achivements just so I have a slightly higher chance to win some games or get another tf2 hat."

Then I notice it's 75% off... and there went a buck twenty five of my money.
[Image: doodle.png]
Aie aie

[/move]
KorJax
BRB, Posting

12-07-2010, 12:48 AM

(12-06-2010, 05:32 PM)diglett link Wrote: Alternate Entry: To manually enter the Sweepstakes, each eligible entrant must print his or her name, address, city, state, country, postal code, email address, Steam account name, and telephone number, as well as the name of the Treasure Hunt objective that the entry is for, on a self-addressed 4x6 note card and mail the completed form to: Valve Corporation, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688. Note cards mailed in envelopes will not be accepted. No e-mailed or faxed alternate entries are eligible. Facsimiles, photocopies or mechanical reproductions of entries will be void. An alternate entry must be postmarked during the applicable Treasure Hunt period to be eligible. To be eligible for the Grand Prize Drawing, an alternative entrant must have entered at least 10 Treasure Hunt objective drawings and then provide an additional alternative entry for the Grand Prize Drawing, postmarked December 20, 2010. Alternate entries received after December 31, 2010 will not be eligible for any Sweepstakes. Each user may submit one alternative entry per Treasure Hunt objective. Proof of sending or submitting an alternate entry is not proof of receipt of such alternate entry.

Thinking about honestly doing this

I wonder if this PLUS my "Treasure hunt" objective I've already earned in steam will even further increase my chances.

Only problem is that it'll be a bitch to send out 28 different postcards in the mail at 40c a stamp. Would require me to spend $11.20 in postage (not including the cost of the cards) for something I have a high chance of not winning anyways. In the middle of the xmas shopping season and when school wants me to fork over $400 to cover next quarter's classes.

[Image: a731e9e08c48b218b111e3275e851e8e.gif]
Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

12-07-2010, 01:31 PM

[Image: oizjpx.png]

We're all Gaben's bitch.

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
KorJax
BRB, Posting

12-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Yeah pretty sad lol

I think I'm the only person that doesn't get drawn into the steam sales. I pretty much only get games I've been wanting to get anyways, so chances are I already have it. If I've been holding off and it turns out it's on sale then awesome but I never go "OMG TIME TO BUY A GAME I ONLY HAVE A PASSING INTEREST IN CAUSE IT'S HALF OFF AND I COULD WIN A TREASURE HUNT ACHIEVEMENT!!"

Spore
2 guys, no cups necessary

12-07-2010, 01:47 PM

(12-07-2010, 01:43 PM)KorJax link Wrote: Yeah pretty sad lol

I think I'm the only person that doesn't get drawn into the steam sales. I pretty much only get games I've been wanting to get anyways, so chances are I already have it. If I've been holding off and it turns out it's on sale then awesome but I never go "OMG TIME TO BUY A GAME I ONLY HAVE A PASSING INTEREST IN CAUSE IT'S HALF OFF AND I COULD WIN A TREASURE HUNT ACHIEVEMENT!!"

You'll come around eventually.

Feeling generous? Karf is a respectable human being. http://i.imgur.com/MTVw5.png
Thank you, Mr. Pelican.
KorJax
BRB, Posting

12-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Also:

"No later than January 10, 2011, Sponsor will hold a random drawing for alternative entries received for each Treasure Hunt objective and for the Grand Prize drawing, using the same odds as applied for each actual regular drawing (determined by the number of regular entries for each Treasure Hunt objective). Sponsor will award prizes to each such alternative entry winner. Sponsor will contact each winner via email to the address registered to the winning account. The decision of the Sponsor will be final and binding in all matters."

So it appears alternate entries will have a separate drawing all together, completely separate from the standard method. Theoretically the odds are much better to win via this method since I doubt a lot of people will submit alternate entries. Of course the people who do enter with this method will likely enter for all 28 treasure hunt objectives, which means there is little "edge" you'd be able to get compaired to other entrants.

The bolded part is confusing though. Does it mean that they'll randomly select alternate entries depending on the odds of the finished sweepstakes from normal enteries, or does it imply that the odds will be determined the same way the standard odds are determined? Probably going to e-mail them about that.