Hello There, Guest! Register

Gamefly
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

06-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Is it worth the cash?

Since the local Blockbusters have all closed down and we've cancelled our subcription for Blockbuster-Online, I'm wondering if I should try out Gamefly. The only things hindering my consideration are that it's fairly expensive ($16 for 1 disc out at a time) and that College is in a month and a half anyways. Can anyone give me some insight? Or should I just stick to redbox and PC?
Ianki
Pedo^H^H Appreciator of the Youth

06-26-2011, 12:30 PM

(06-26-2011, 10:36 AM)Karth link Wrote: Is it worth the cash?

Since the local Blockbusters have all closed down and we've cancelled our subcription for Blockbuster-Online, I'm wondering if I should try out Gamefly. The only things hindering my consideration are that it's fairly expensive ($16 for 1 disc out at a time) and that College is in a month and a half anyways. Can anyone give me some insight? Or should I just stick to redbox and PC?

Do a calculation on how quickly you finish a game and how much you are willing to to delude yourself that you will finish a game.  I paid gamefly for longer than i was comfortable for the privilege of storing a copy of Iron Man for the 360 on my desk.
Squishy3
Closet Furry

06-26-2011, 01:09 PM

If you buy games though, depending if you'll keep your membership open new games are much, much cheaper via Gamefly than anywhere else. My price for new games with my 10% discount for having been a member for a year is $44.99 on average, and you get $5 every 3 months but they don't stack. Not to mention most of the old or rarer games that you may have missed are usually available pretty consistently.

Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

06-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Redbox rents games now as well. $2 a day or something like that.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

06-26-2011, 01:51 PM

I just got it myself, cause almost all of the Blockbusters have shut down around me too. Got Crysis 2 after a day or two of waiting, it shipped, got it in like 2 days, which is pretty fast.  I can't say I really like the subscription idea if I'm not looking to get something each month, but I might have a few new games to catch up on to make it worth it.  The popular games look like they'll be tough to get, such as an Infamous 2 being low in stock right now and I'm not sure how long that kind of wait is.

To me, if you play at least a game a week, you can get 3 or 4 a week, and in comparison to what you use to pay at Blockbuster, which would've been over 20 bucks a month on games, it's not that bad of a deal to try for at least a couple months.

Redbox is definitely good for movies and they are looking to do video games at certain places.  You can mostly ignore Netflix for rentals as it basically has crap to watch other than a couple TV shows that you could just as easily find online to watch.  Now that was a waste of money to me.

*EDIT* Actually just went out to 711 and saw that there was a Redbox with games, though it wasn't functioning right.  So they are starting to come out, though they aren't at all of them yet.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM by Maxon.)
Squishy3
Closet Furry

06-26-2011, 04:39 PM

Like I said, if you're not waiting for a new game (where you have your queue empty 2 or 3 days before it comes out) you can fill it up with old games you may have missed and something will get shipped out to you, and most old games end up being pretty readily available. Even stuff that's recent and is really popular is available right now a majority of the time.

Also doing the math, it's still cheaper than Redbox overall, even if for sake of impulse you pick something new up from Redbox to try out as an extended demo, not including the savings you can get on new games as long as you have them shipped to you before you buy them.

February = 56 cents a month. 30 day months = 53 cents a day and 31 day months = 51 cents a day.

copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

06-26-2011, 08:18 PM

(06-26-2011, 12:30 PM)Ianki link Wrote: [quote author=Karth link=topic=5736.msg212088#msg212088 date=1309102611]
Is it worth the cash?

Do a calculation on how quickly you finish a game and how much you are willing to to delude yourself that you will finish a game.  I paid gamefly for longer than i was comfortable for the privilege of storing a copy of Iron Man for the 360 on my desk.
[/quote]

I've had netflix for about 17 months. I've had the same dvd they sent me from the outset, still haven't gotten around to sending it back and downgrading to streaming only. Sad

(06-26-2011, 01:46 PM)Mission Difficult link Wrote: Redbox rents games now as well. $2 a day or something like that.

man redbox owns, I dumped so much money into the one around the corner of my block when I was in school. Didn't even have to have something in mind, just go and - assuming you're not a complete snob about movies - something would be in there worth watching, even if only to trick a bunch of people into playing really bad drinking games.

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Maxon
BRB, Posting

06-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Rented Red Faction:Armageddon from the Red Box and it seems like it could be alright if you only want a game for a day or two, cause it's 2 bucks a day.  If you want a game for a week, that's 14 bucks.  Sounds like Gamefly might be the better choice in the long run and then maybe you can supplement Red Box if you just want a quick try.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
ZargonX
Hit em with a Splersh

06-28-2011, 01:36 PM

I had Gamefly for a while starting about 3 years ago; it was great when it was it $8 a month. Then it jumped to $10 and I was still ok with it. Then it jumped to $14 and that was a little worse. When it finally went up to $16 (double what I started at), I decided that was enough. At that point it just wasn't economical since I wasn't playing through the games fast enough. If they dropped their prices, I'd consider it again, but they don't seem to be headed that way any time soon.

Spectacle Rock - Witty Slogan Here
KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

06-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I guess I'll stay away from it. I have a hard enough time trying to beat console games in a certain period of time, I don't think I'd get a good amount of use from it. I'll just have to look over the internet for PC ports and at retailers for sales.