Hello There, Guest! Register

Dead island
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-06-2011, 12:06 AM

It's coming out tomorrow for consoles, looks good anyone else getting it? I know most would be playing it on steam/pc, sadly my pc can't handle it so I'll be getting it for the ps3.

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
[Image: lolsgcatgunhugger.gif]
Strangest comment I've read sofar
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-06-2011, 04:26 AM

*EDIT*
Was way too tired to write last night, so I'm just gonna make it an easier read.

Overall, the game is pretty great to me.  Combines things from a few different games, with a nice and weighty melee combat system.  Only put 4 hours into the game last night, but it could easily get like 20 to 30 hours out of a full playthrough, trying to explore everything and what not.  It certainly doesn't seem to have that strong of a narrative, much to the dismay of those lovers of that original trailer.  I think that trailer was misconstrued somewhat, now having played the game, it wasn't trying to show it was going to be an emotional game, more showing the kind of chaos that can happen and a feel of what befell the island.  They even give nod to that the trailer earlier in the game.

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2011, 12:52 PM by Maxon.)
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Woots it glitched on the lifeguard house, cleared the place but then the mission goes away :/

[move][Image: snailkittygoleft.gif][Image: snailSingoleft.gif][Image: snailAxirothgoleft.gif][Image: snailLuinbarielgoleft.gif][Image: snailpryogoleft.gif][Image: snailspennygoleft.gif][Image: snailMinzgoleft.gif][Image: snailRinnsgoleft.gif][Image: snailChuruyago.gif][Image: snailheavygo.gif][Image: snailRigorMortisgoleft.gif][Image: snailherejonnygoleft.gif][Image: koopeyebot50.gif][Image: cuddlescrawlleft.gif]
[/move]
"do you stroke your rack when you lie awake in bed at night... dreaming of the oven that got away?"
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Some nice easter eggs in this one.  Through the game in a couple areas, there are these skulls you find.  They are colored and when you put them in a special location, you get a unique mod that gives you the weapon needed to craft and then enhances it.  To make them though, its pretty crazy.  They cost like 5 to 10k and require 5 diamonds along with one other item.  I've gotten two of the mods, one is an electro military knife.  Not sure what the other is.  

If you want to find them yourself, I'll spoilerfy them below.

[spoiler]Now I don't know exactly where I find the brown one, but I know it is off the corpse of a suicider.  That's about all I remember and pretty sure it was in the 1st Act.  Just make sure to loot every one till you find it.  *EDIT* Brown Skull Plant Location...Resort map. Basically like 30m or so from the Transformer mission you do from the Lighthouse, there's a rock pile in the water and an Rock Archway with a Suicider underneath it.  What you do is climb up on the wooden planks on the side of it, keeping an eye out for a brown arrow.  Follow that up higher and higher till you get to the top where there are skulls with flags in it.

The second is an orange skull.  You'll find it in the supermarket you go to after City Hall.  Before you get out of the cellar, it's underneath the stairs in a cart.  To put it down, I believe after you leave City Hall and go into the first large sewer area.  Usually a pick water way type area, there's a ladder you climb that takes you up and then go to the right and into a room, the location to plant it is there.

The purple one you find after you leave City Hall.  Follow the beacon till you get to a room with a Floater and toxic waste barrels.  The purple skull is up a ladder in there.  To plant it, find Alicias house, which is an abandoned house you come across.  Kinda hard to explain exactly, but from the church, head south east to the pharmacy, go left from the pharmacy entrance till it takes you around the building and to the abandoned house.  If it's your first time, this will become a mission having you destroy all the zombies to save Alicia.  Go to the kitchen to plant it on the stove.

The blue skull is actually just in the other room of Alicias.  Go across the hall from the kitchen and the blue skull is in a glass case you break open.  *EDIT* Here is the blue skull plant...Go back to the resort and head to the SE part of the map to a bunker that will be under siege by 2 thugs and some walkers. Kill them and then head inside, use the manhole to get to another bunker. In the second bunker, head up the ladder and grab the propane tank and drop back down. Head to the door to your left as you drop off theladder (one with no boxes in front of it), drop the tank, back up and shoot it. Head inside to findthe skull drop location and dev craft 3.[/spoiler]

Also, fuck the sewers are.  Takes forever to go through them and you have to go through them twice, though the path changes at a point instead of going back to where you first go through...Not something I knew when I went that way anyways, thinking I was exploring somewhere special, but then the missions take me through there anyways >_> Just tedious. Tip for floaters.  If you have zero way of exploding them, molotovs don't do much, just clear out all regular zombies, then run in and kick, then hit, rinse and repeat.  You might get blasted by his vomit stream which really hurts, but if your lucky you won't.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2011, 12:54 AM by Maxon.)
Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-08-2011, 03:04 PM

great, the auto save doesn't work & trophy's don't unlock :u

[/move]
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-08-2011, 11:31 PM

I have a feeling the console versions have a few more problems than the PC version as I've been hearing things about it, but not experiencing them much at all on the PC.

22 hours into the game and into the last area of the game I believe.  Probably can squeeze out a few more hours.  Very nice length to it.

[SiN] Merc
BRB, Posting

09-09-2011, 12:01 AM

How was the story in it? Engaging? Or was it just melee mode Borderlands?

HULKMANIA'S RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER!
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-09-2011, 12:32 AM

There isn't much of a story. You get a tid bit about a guy who might be able to save people in the beginning, and then your just basically helping people survive the rest of the game.  Shares alot with Borderlands in that department.  By the third act, the story starts to kick in more, where your learning more about the zombie plague and stuff like that, but I just realized they still didn't explain where it came from.  They kinda start to, then your off to a different section of the game.  I hope they explain it though.  I kinda hate it when they don't.

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-10-2011, 09:06 PM

They put out a patch but yet the auto save still doesn't work right :/

[/move]
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Never came across any save issues myself.

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-11-2011, 12:32 AM

you playing on the ps3?

[/move]
copulatingduck
Following in Gordon's Footsteps

09-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote: Merc link=topic=5920.msg222080#msg222080 date=1315544490]
How was the story in it? Engaging? Or was it just melee mode Borderlands?

it's mostly a cross between Dead Rising and Borderlands. I'm loving it, other people are complete bitches though

Ripped like paper
raped with ease
hey scrub nerd pyros
suck on these
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-11-2011, 05:17 AM

More Borderlands than anything else really. 

For me, the ending kinda sucked, as the plot is pretty unnecessary.  Through a quick and easy rewrite, they could've got to the last area of the game and not had the "plot".  They tried to add a little story to the game, but they took very little effort to input things properly to have a coherent story.  The only actual good story of the game comes from a character you pick up called Jin, towards the end of the 1st Act. She becomes your storage character, but she goes through some stuff that almost brings ya to that initial trailer the game came out of having you believe this game could have some emotion to it. She's basically the only person in the game you might even care about.

And no I've been playing it on PC.  Seems like the game could have a few more problems on the consoles.

Also, if anyone else gets to this part, did the Russian mission line just end at the bunker in the jungle? After the part in the town, sending you into the jungle, I thought it was gonna keep going, but you get to a bunker, a guy on the radio says he's trying to get in by boat, and just ends.  The heck happened to all of the Russian guys? Just seemed rather abrupt, but I was pretty sure I found most, if not all of the missions, even if I didn't beat one on my list.

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Yeah I was hoping the patch they put out would fix the console's save bug but it didn't, heck I've been playing on my bro-in-law's big screen tv & ps3, but when I put the game into my ps3 it didn't even install the patch :u I do enjoy the game a lot just in short bursts.
& thanks Maxon, found the blue skull the other day & thankfully it did save me having it, now I where to put it ^^

[/move]
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-11-2011, 08:24 PM

I was hoping there was gonna be a few more skulls, since you get those skulls before the third area of the game, but I didn't find anything in my playthrough of it, though there is one crazy secret spot that pissed me off to no end...

[spoiler]To the side of the bridge, where you help the woman infected, gather medical supplies in the jungle, there is a guy being attacked by zombies, wearing a hockey mask, wielding a machete, and he's called Jason, living in a shack in the jungle.  Yeah, a pretty nice reference.  The crazy part is that you can't fight him one on one.  I tried, he insta-kills you.  I think the only way to do it, is that while he's swarmed by zombies, is to nail him with grenades.  Usually one kills anything if it's right on, but I would toss two just in case, cause he is that crazy.  As the chinese woman, I couldn't even withstand his attacks in fury mode, it was ridiculous lol I'm guessing he drops that super awesome machete of his for beating him.

Watching a video, it takes like 5 grenades to kill him.  If you do, get his machete and a fucking chainsaw.  There is no other chainsaw in the game that I saw.
[/spoiler]

cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

09-12-2011, 12:03 AM

so are there a lot of people playing this? i'm just wondering if I should get this on PC or 360

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-12-2011, 08:54 PM

Hope they patch it soon.. & fix the patch they just patched on the ps3 :u

[/move]
Maxon
BRB, Posting

09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

A green skull has been found in the game.  If you want to find where it is at...

Green Skull-Dead Island

Here's the dropoff...

Dead Island: Green skull drop off

And apparently there is a red skull to find, with a possible dropoff point at...

Dead island red skull drop off location

Also really cool of the developers, they plan to focus on fixing the game for both console and PC before diving into DLC, though there is DLC coming.  I really like to see that in a company.  It sucks seeing a company basically leaving a game to die with bugs (Breach) or releasing DLC without fixing important issues.

Reevesith
BRB, Posting

09-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Thankfully I saw on a fansite forums for  dead island, someone found out as long as you don't sign in with your psn they game will still save & get trophys, just no mutiplayer, which is okay due to their patch that broke it for console.

[/move]
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

09-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Rented it from redbox for 360. I played for a loooong time last night and a little today. I'm probably going to get it. It's very good fun.