Hello There, Guest! Register

Heavy Weapons Guy
Maxon
BRB, Posting

03-31-2012, 08:17 PM

(03-31-2012, 07:57 PM)Käse link Wrote: Congrats on the award!

You could also Gorilla Glue + screw the screws in. They'll probably never come out.

I thought I had done that already, but it might've just been super glue that doesn't seem to hold under stress, so I'll probably go the gorilla glue route since I still have some left over from the project.

Also gonna look at maybe getting a vest commission for a full on TF2 vest with the proper edging colors.  The fleece vest I have works and it's not all that thick, but down in Florida, it's still too hot to wear for more than a few hours, even with good air condition, so I ended up spending a couple hours out of the costume to cool down before getting back into it for group pictures and the costume contest.  Something to think about after some summer stuff I'm doing, since my next con isn't till September I believe.

Also the one picture I got of myself from my camera seems alright, so I'll post that here from now.  Also has the one other TF2 cosplay there which was a kid with abit of a slapdash Spy outfit, but he was pretty happy to have a fellow TF2 cosplayer there. Once the pro shot photos are put out, I'll replace it with a better one.

[Image: heavyandspy.jpg]

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
Maxon
BRB, Posting

04-22-2012, 11:16 PM

Totally forgot to post the better picture version now that I got it.

[Image: 3189364.jpg]

Aside from some tweaks I have to do, I just love how it looks.  I'm considering having two costumes for a con come November, perhaps Demoman, but I might try and move onto some other stuff instead once I can figure out what I feel I can do well.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

04-23-2012, 05:54 AM

You can't hotlink cosplay.com. I put it on imgur for you, though. Also, looks boss, man.

[Image: zohIZ.jpg]

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012, 05:57 AM by at0m.)
Maxon
BRB, Posting

04-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Ah, thanks.  I see it on my end, just guess it doesn't work on your guys end lol I'll remember to post it on imageshack or imgur in the future.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

04-23-2012, 02:35 PM

This came out really nice  :o

So, uh, why aren't you coming out to Acen?  :p

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Maxon
BRB, Posting

04-23-2012, 02:58 PM

I don't have the money to fly up to Chicago from Florida and spend an entire weekend up there, while also planning a month and a half long trip back to Alaska that starts in May lol I would if I could though.  Perhaps next year depending on how things go for me.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

06-24-2012, 12:36 PM

The next project comes into being!

[Image: 670px-Brass_Beast.png]

Starting to move into the planning stage of this one and think it should be even better than the Tomislav, mostly being, cause I think it'll be easier to connect everything and will involve primarily plastic tubing, which should be inherently sturdier than mostly cardboard. I also want to make the barrels spin, but not sure how yet.  I thought I remember there being like a toy nerf gun or something that had barrels spin that I could mod to spin these ones perhaps, but couldn't really find it.

Other than that, I got months to work on it, so I'm in no real hurry at the moment.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

07-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Decided to hold off on the Brass Beast for now and just try to round out the costume abit.  Get myself a Sandvich, Shotgun, maybe a Fist item, and add sound for the Tomislav.  I found this on Amazon for the sound...

http://www.amazon.com/RE-Recordable-BUTT...+Card+Chip

This one even has a button option.  I assume I could just replace the button with a better one and longer wire? I was thinking of sticking it in the handle section, since the front part is just an empty shell.  Poke some holes in it for better sound and run the wire back to where I grip with the new button.  Would that be doable? I just need directed to the right button for it.

rilnac
ACEN Papparazzi

07-16-2012, 12:55 AM

(07-02-2012, 06:11 PM)Maxon link Wrote: Decided to hold off on the Brass Beast for now and just try to round out the costume abit.  Get myself a Sandvich, Shotgun, maybe a Fist item, and add sound for the Tomislav.  I found this on Amazon for the sound...

This one even has a button option.  I assume I could just replace the button with a better one and longer wire? I was thinking of sticking it in the handle section, since the front part is just an empty shell.  Poke some holes in it for better sound and run the wire back to where I grip with the new button.  Would that be doable? I just need directed to the right button for it.

Yeah the rewiring would be easy as hell, also since they are only 9 bucks you could add a couple and have different buttons for different sounds.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

07-16-2012, 01:53 AM

(07-16-2012, 12:55 AM)rilnac link Wrote: [quote author=Maxon link=topic=6090.msg248778#msg248778 date=1341270702]
Decided to hold off on the Brass Beast for now and just try to round out the costume abit.  Get myself a Sandvich, Shotgun, maybe a Fist item, and add sound for the Tomislav.  I found this on Amazon for the sound...

This one even has a button option.  I assume I could just replace the button with a better one and longer wire? I was thinking of sticking it in the handle section, since the front part is just an empty shell.  Poke some holes in it for better sound and run the wire back to where I grip with the new button.  Would that be doable? I just need directed to the right button for it.

Yeah the rewiring would be easy as hell, also since they are only 9 bucks you could add a couple and have different buttons for different sounds.
[/quote]

Holy crap, I didn't think about that...I could have the tomislav sound for one button and then have another one for a premade/music/soundbyte setup.  Either playing the TF2 theme or I could combine the theme with heavy soundclips.  I like this.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

07-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Any major hardware store have square pvc tubing? I couldn't find any at lowes? I see they make it on google, but I'm not not really wanting to order if I don't have to, plus it's alot more expensive than just plain round pvc tubing, of which I can buy for about 2 bucks for a 5 foot by 1 inch piece.  I did find a 1" piece of wood, but it only reaches to about 36" (Need at least 60") and square PVC tubing would be much lighter for making the frame for the Brass Beast. I'm open to other options also.  Pretty much using PVC would be the best option though since it's pretty easy to paint and would look more consistent with most of the rest of the gun being PVC also.

HeK
Rotartsinimda

07-25-2012, 08:31 PM

(07-25-2012, 07:50 PM)Maxon link Wrote: Any major hardware store have square pvc tubing? I couldn't find any at lowes? I see they make it on google, but I'm not not really wanting to order if I don't have to, plus it's alot more expensive than just plain round pvc tubing, of which I can buy for about 2 bucks for a 5 foot by 1 inch piece.  I did find a 1" piece of wood, but it only reaches to about 36" (Need at least 60") and square PVC tubing would be much lighter for making the frame for the Brass Beast. I'm open to other options also.  Pretty much using PVC would be the best option though since it's pretty easy to paint and would look more consistent with most of the rest of the gun being PVC also.

Wood is good and strong, can be as light as PVC. You can also use cardboard or posterboard and hotglue. Use a single layer of fiberglass to add strength or a few layers of paint and fill with expanding foam.

Expanding foam and cardboard are the new gods.

PVC is actually a pretty poor plastic to work with. It is heavy and brittle, doesn't grip paint too well. ABS is a much better plastic but hard to source outside of Canada.
If you have your heart set on PVC, you can soften it with a heatgun and flatten it into a square. Use a board wrapped in tinfoil to achieve a smooth and consistent shape.
Word of warning when heating PVC with anything, even a saw/dremel. It exhausts some harmful gases, do it outside.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

07-25-2012, 09:18 PM

I might try the cardboard/poster board and expanding foam idea for the framing. I think the PVC will be fine, since it's mostly just for the barrels, though I was gonna using a wider bit of PVC for the main section and there are parts that will be connecting to that, with everything kinda fitting into that.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-ma...20965.html

Is that the stuff your talking about for the expanding foam?

HeK
Rotartsinimda

07-25-2012, 09:38 PM

(07-25-2012, 09:18 PM)Maxon link Wrote: Is that the stuff your talking about for the expanding foam?

Yep. Just make sure that it can leak out when it expands, otherwise it'll break apart your form.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

08-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Had a really silly idea for a side project to do with the cosplay, which is to do a version of my heavy, but mixed with Minecraft.  The head is a box, painted to look like the heavy, such as...

http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/16761/red-heavy/

*EDIT*
Decided the shotgun will be easier for a minecraft inspired thing. Blocky fists was the other thing, but I think the shotgun would be easier to use lol

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM by Maxon.)
Maxon
BRB, Posting

08-07-2012, 01:10 AM

Might be changing to designing the Hu Long Heatmaker, instead of the Brass Beast.  I really like the design of it and figure it to be the easier build, though abit unsure about the dragon head at the front.  What might be the easiest way to craft that, being someone with very little experience in sculpting with anything?  Also, does anyone know what the Heatmaker is under in the model viewer?

HeK
Rotartsinimda

08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

You can try downloading a copy of Pepakura.
It unfolds models into fold-able paper forms.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

08-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Pepakura.  I actually was looking at getting into that more awhile back.  I'll give that a look, to see if it's viable for getting the part I need.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

08-24-2012, 07:50 PM

Anyone know where the Huo Long Heater is in the SDK Viewer? Can't seem to find it at all.