Hello There, Guest! Register

Heavy Weapons Guy
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-06-2011, 05:08 PM

No idea. I use polyester resin, not papier mâché.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-06-2011, 09:57 PM

I'll just stick with the paper mache for now since no one knows much about the fiberglass tape X3 Figure I'll do another go or two at it with the double layers, put it at 6 layers over all and then see how sturdy it might be.  

Worst that happens when I attach the first handle is it doesn't hold very well, I have two holes to fill, and I try a new way of attaching it.  I bought a huge bolt top screw, like the thickness of a sharpie marker and about 2 to 3 inches long and just need to see if that will hold the handle tight enough to the paper mache and foam block.  Thinking for the front handle, like just made out of some cut craft wood? Glued to shape, attach it to a handle of some sort that I can find that is usable, and then use the big screw to hold it all together, along with some glue, just in case?

It looks like this, but with a pointed screw end on it.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/4462175...d_bolt.jpg

This has been a pretty fun project for me so far.  I haven't done this kind of thing before and it's really coming together.  I almost have the outfit done as I just bought some gloves and a fake ammo bandolier.  Got my heavy patches already and just need to iron them onto a shirt that fits.  Damn shirt sizes not being what they should be!

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

12-06-2011, 10:05 PM

For paper mache, I just kind of go by how sturdy it feels. I try to bend it slightly etc, and if I think it feels too flimsy then I would add a few more layers.

That fiberglass tape sounds very intriguing, I will need to check it out.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-09-2011, 12:05 AM

Since I'm unsure of the tape and I'm going to be putting mod podge over the paper mache and paint, I'll just take it as it is with it's 4 layers of mache and see how it holds.  Worst that happens, I have some holes to fill and I put more paper mache or I try to add something else.

Here's the gun now.  Starting to really shape up, though I still have abit to go as I'm trying to plan out the handles.  I'm thinking all wood handle, nailed through the handle itself for the sides, then some glued wood parts to crate the angles needed to connect to the gun, where it's then screwed in with some heft bolt screws.

[Image: gunandtankwip.jpg]

And I also started to get the final parts of my outfit.  I got the patches, I bought a plastic ammo bandolier, though I have to buy an extra set cause it's too short.  Didn't realize the picture of the person wearing it was a kid lol Either way, it'll save me from having to craft individual bullets, though not sure if I'll paint every bullet to match.  that would take awhile...Also got some fingerless gloves coming.  Trying to find a cheap pair of boots right now, which is proving tough.

[Image: patches.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011, 12:08 AM by Maxon.)
The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-09-2011, 03:50 PM

(12-09-2011, 12:05 AM)Maxon link Wrote: Since I'm unsure of the tape and I'm going to be putting mod podge over the paper mache and paint, I'll just take it as it is with it's 4 layers of mache and see how it holds.  Worst that happens, I have some holes to fill and I put more paper mache or I try to add something else.

Here's the gun now.  Starting to really shape up, though I still have abit to go as I'm trying to plan out the handles.  I'm thinking all wood handle, nailed through the handle itself for the sides, then some glued wood parts to crate the angles needed to connect to the gun, where it's then screwed in with some heft bolt screws.

[Image: gunandtankwip.jpg]

And I also started to get the final parts of my outfit.  I got the patches, I bought a plastic ammo bandolier, though I have to buy an extra set cause it's too short.  Didn't realize the picture of the person wearing it was a kid lol Either way, it'll save me from having to craft individual bullets, though not sure if I'll paint every bullet to match.  that would take awhile...Also got some fingerless gloves coming.  Trying to find a cheap pair of boots right now, which is proving tough.

[Image: patches.jpg]

Where did you find the Patches?

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]
3DS Friend Code: 4098-3295-0639
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

(12-09-2011, 03:50 PM)The Generic Name link Wrote: Where did you find the Patches?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59794520/pai...tches-your

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-09-2011, 04:57 PM

They are pretty nice patches.  They could almost be alittle thicker, but that's just personal preference.  Took me alittle over a week to get them.  I also got my fingerless gloves in today, but yet again, stuff is too small.  Tired of this crap not being the sizes they claim lol XL gloves should not fit like mediums, a 2XL shirt should not fit like an XL...I'm losing weight right now, but I can't drop poundage from my hands lol

The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-11-2011, 01:28 PM

(12-09-2011, 03:59 PM)Caffeine link Wrote: [quote author=The Generic Name link=topic=6090.msg232619#msg232619 date=1323463840]

Where did you find the Patches?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59794520/pai...tches-your
[/quote]

:O BITCHIN

Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-21-2011, 04:07 PM

And here we have a halfway done Tomislav.  With the paint on it, stuff like the paper mache strips can be seen more than I thought and things like the foam wasn't really covered well enough with that foam paint stuff, but I might go back and try sanding it down more...or I might not lol I'm not making movie quality stuff here lol Next up is to add on the handles, hope they stay on, though my plan is to drill the holes for the screws, fill it with glue, then put the screws in and hope they stick well enough lol Don't fail me now, Gorilla Glue!

[Image: maingunwip.jpg]

Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Bah, snapped the barrel off of the main gun while trying to put the middle handle on.  I'm gonna have to rebuild the main gun.  The foam blocks and paper mache just aren't doing it.

*EDIT*
Worked out a new plan with my dad.  Using cardboard for the main gun, ribs to hold the barrel inside deeper, and a combination of dowels to connect the handles inside, I think I might have a better gun this time.  Working out a better idea for the barrel also.  Instead of PVC pipe, I think I might go with either cardboard tube if I can find the right size, or as my dad brought up, fluorescent lighting safety covers.  They go around the light tubes in case they break and they would be stronger than cardboard, but very light, though I'm still working out new ideas.  Mailing Tubes is another one I'm looking at.

Hopefully out of failure, a better gun will come out of this lol

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2011, 09:04 PM by Maxon.)
The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-26-2011, 10:15 AM

I hope you make sandvich to go with the costume....and can drop it on the ground for yer teammates Big Grin

Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-26-2011, 11:28 AM

I found a fake sandwich online that I wanted to buy, but it's like 25 bucks for it, so I'm still thinking about it lol I totally want a sandvich though.

And I'm back to PVC pipe.  I went to Home Depot and they had a better pipe section and I found thinner pipe that will work much better than the one before, even getting a better end piece for the gun to get that barrel flare.  I got a feeling the new version of the gun will alot better this time.

The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-26-2011, 11:35 AM

(12-26-2011, 11:28 AM)Maxon link Wrote: I found a fake sandwich online that I wanted to buy, but it's like 25 bucks for it, so I'm still thinking about it lol I totally want a sandvich though.

Prolly cheaper to make it on the same day as the convention
Olive, bread, lettuce, tomato, swiss cheese, bologna/ham/turkey, bread.  all impaled by a tooth pick Big Grin
[Image: 06_sandvich.jpg]

kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

12-26-2011, 11:37 AM

If you want a more permanent sandvich, you can make it with craft foam like I've seen some people do it.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Maxon
BRB, Posting

12-26-2011, 02:07 PM

I'm definitely going with a fake one, even if it's not edible lol I really don't want to carry a real sandwich with me all day, hoping it doesn't fall apart, though I certainly can set myself up to have an actual Sandvich at lunch lol

And I'll see what I can do with craft foam as buying the foam might just end up being the same cost as an already made and realistic looking one. Foam isn't cheap.

http://www.fakefoodonline.com/catalog/it...576712.htm

Only 10 bucks for the sandwich and all it needs is a toothpick and olive and I can probably find that around here lol

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM by Maxon.)
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

01-02-2012, 08:51 AM

(12-26-2011, 11:37 AM)Käse link Wrote: If you want a more permanent sandvich, you can make it with craft foam like I've seen some people do it.

Or you could just buy fake stuff

http://www.fakefoodonline.com/page/page/1252403.htm

You can pretty easily get the components at hobby lobby or online

Sig by Joel
Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Hobby Lobby has fake food stuff? There's a big one I've been using for all my crafts parts nearby, so I'll definitely give them a look if they do.  Would be easier and hopefully cheaper than buying off the website.

CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

01-02-2012, 03:35 PM

(01-02-2012, 02:26 PM)Maxon link Wrote: Hobby Lobby has fake food stuff? There's a big one I've been using for all my crafts parts nearby, so I'll definitely give them a look if they do.  Would be easier and hopefully cheaper than buying off the website.

They might, it could vary by store but I know the one I used to work at like 10 years ago (dear god...) had an isle with some fake fruits, veggies, bread, and sandwiches.

Sig by Joel
Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-02-2012, 04:39 PM

I went there and yeah they did have some fruits and veggies and some loafs, but that was about it.  Nothing that could really be used as sandwich material.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Getting close to almost done with the Tomislav.  Most of it is built, other than the back handle and the wood piece for the back end.  After that, I have to start connecting it all, along with painting the barrel and adding the ridges/spring section at the beginning of the barrel, finishing it up with the straps around the tank, and a few extra details..  While the setbacks were annoying, the gun has turned out alot better now.

[Image: tomislavwip.jpg]

Also I was trying to find a recording greeting card, but all of them at Hallmark seem to have background music in them with no way of getting rid of it.  Anyone know a place that might sell non-musical recording cards? Was thinking of putting the speaker in the handle section I'll be building, so that it doesn't have to reach too far for placing a trigger to make the gun sound off in the handle itself.