Hello There, Guest! Register

Heavy Weapons Guy
HeK
Rotartsinimda

01-12-2012, 11:29 PM

(01-12-2012, 08:34 PM)Maxon link Wrote: Also I was trying to find a recording greeting card, but all of them at Hallmark seem to have background music in them with no way of getting rid of it.  Anyone know a place that might sell non-musical recording cards? Was thinking of putting the speaker in the handle section I'll be building, so that it doesn't have to reach too far for placing a trigger to make the gun sound off in the handle itself.

Radio shack has this really simply recordable chip with a built in amp. Attach speakers, battery and button.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey look, I got a Tomislav! How well it holds together, I have no clue, but I certainly know that I'm gonna have to like...carry this thing in shifts at a con, cause I can see it getting heavy after a short bit.  Then again, that fits very well XD

[Image: tomislavwip2.jpg]

Only major part left is the front "wood" piece that goes under the barrel, but I'll do that tomorrow cause I'm tired, though I do have it finished.  After that it's just a couple minor details, the recordable sound device if I want to add it, and then the strap for the gun, though I need to find one that will work.  Maybe see about using the left over black Guitar Hero straps I might have lying around lol

[Image: gokubitchslapmod.gif]
Cloud_9ine
Lurker

01-16-2012, 11:30 PM

Looking sexy, needs a little bit more shine imo, but the overall work imo is really really good. I can't wait to see it in person.
Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-16-2012, 11:58 PM

I should probably spray a clear coat over it, shouldn't I? And thanks, I'm pretty happy with most of the new design after the botched one, though I could've worked out how it connected to the tank better, but I think there's enough stuff holding it together that it should survive as long as I don't go shaking it around lol

kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

01-17-2012, 01:21 PM

It looks really nice! How much does it weigh?

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-17-2012, 02:36 PM

(01-17-2012, 01:21 PM)Käse link Wrote: It looks really nice! How much does it weigh?

It looks to be about 7.5 pounds according to the scale.  Can probably bump that up a notch or so once I add the under-barrel section and the strap.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

01-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Looks boss, man. What's the main body made of?

Also, make sure you save some orange paint/tape for the tip, or they won't let you carry it around at ACEN.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-18-2012, 05:38 PM

(01-18-2012, 04:49 PM)at0m link Wrote: Looks boss, man. What's the main body made of?

Also, make sure you save some orange paint/tape for the tip, or they won't let you carry it around at ACEN.

Cause it looks like such a real gun lol I understand.  I'll just get another piece of PVC and paint it orange so that I can just put it over the end, making it easy to detach.

The whole thing is cardboard with some light wood pieces inside for the handles to hold onto, two cardboard rib sections to hold the PVC which is then screwed through the pipe into two more small wood pieces inside. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go and make it out of like quarter inch matte board, but after the flop of the first try, I really just needed the cheapest alternative I could find.

I just added the under-barrel section, which I did a tad sloppily, but at this point, I just want this thing finished lol I just have to add a strap which I'm thinking of using a cheap guitar hero strap and some hooks.  Then I'm finished aside from working out the possible sound device, which is just an optional thing at this point.  I'll have a better picture of it when I'm done, since my camera is crap in anything other than like direct sunlight.

at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

(01-18-2012, 05:38 PM)Maxon link Wrote: [quote author=at0m link=topic=6090.msg237060#msg237060 date=1326923360]

Cause it looks like such a real gun lol I understand.  I'll just get another piece of PVC and paint it orange so that I can just put it over the end, making it easy to detach.

The whole thing is cardboard with some light wood pieces inside for the handles to hold onto, two cardboard rib sections to hold the PVC which is then screwed through the pipe into two more small wood pieces inside. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go and make it out of like quarter inch matte board, but after the flop of the first try, I really just needed the cheapest alternative I could find.

I just added the under-barrel section, which I did a tad sloppily, but at this point, I just want this thing finished lol I just have to add a strap which I'm thinking of using a cheap guitar hero strap and some hooks.  Then I'm finished aside from working out the possible sound device, which is just an optional thing at this point.  I'll have a better picture of it when I'm done, since my camera is crap in anything other than like direct sunlight.
[/quote]they made eightball put tape on his pipe launcher. So yeah.

Cool beans, I saw a couple of the in-process shots but was curious what the main structure was made of.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
kaese

01-18-2012, 08:39 PM

(01-18-2012, 06:24 PM)at0m link Wrote: [quote author=Maxon link=topic=6090.msg237062#msg237062 date=1326926338]
[quote author=at0m link=topic=6090.msg237060#msg237060 date=1326923360]

[/quote]they made eightball put tape on his pipe launcher. So yeah.

Cool beans, I saw a couple of the in-process shots but was curious what the main structure was made of.
[/quote]

Anything bright orange used to cover the tip of a gun-like object should be fine for cons. It's not restricted to just being tape, though tape is usually used because it's the easiest to put on most prop guns.

ask me about mpreg
A. Crow
Surprise Whopper

01-19-2012, 07:54 AM

(01-17-2012, 02:36 PM)Maxon link Wrote: [quote author=Käse link=topic=6090.msg236915#msg236915 date=1326824478]
It looks really nice! How much does it weigh?

It looks to be about 7.5 pounds according to the scale.  Can probably bump that up a notch or so once I add the under-barrel section and the strap.
[/quote]

with the wooden front it won't weigh anymore than a M16 with a full magazine, you could always add a sling. 

Maxon
BRB, Posting

01-19-2012, 03:24 PM

And here it is finished, though I forgot about some touchups I had to do and the little pull bolt that needs to go on, so I'll get to that later.  This is everything on, complete with black ducktape sling cause I needed something really cheap lol The underbarrel section was a little sloppy, but at this point, I just wanted it finished. I feel happy about it and will get to finishing up my costume since there's something in March for a day I'm gonna drive to that I think people dress up for.

[Image: tomislavfinished.jpg]

Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

01-21-2012, 05:30 PM

holy balls
Maxon
BRB, Posting

02-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Here's most of the outfit, minus the bandana, pants, and boots, of which I still need to find a cheaply priced pair of black army boots. I'm heading out to get paint for the bullets, so they are at least the right colors since they aren't the right size, heh.

[Image: 3155716.jpg]

Still deciding if I'm gonna worry about the lighter brown striping on the vest, though I did buy some twill tape that can be used for it and is near the right color.  It's just all about sowing stuff on and I know nothing about that lol Though I could safety pin it on first to see how I think it looks on it.

kaese

02-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Niiiiiiiice

Will you be wearing a hat?

ask me about mpreg
Maxon
BRB, Posting

02-20-2012, 09:16 PM

(02-20-2012, 06:44 PM)Käse link Wrote: Niiiiiiiice

Will you be wearing a hat?

I already got the Bandana or "Heavy Duty Rag", which was my first legit hat in the game. I did think about getting maybe an Ushanka.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

03-11-2012, 02:30 AM

Here's my mockup for the Heavy bullet for the bandolier.  I figured what I would do is after plasti-dipping both ends and paining it, the brown part of it would actually be the bullet holder of the bandolier, which I'll either make out of scratch from fabric or maybe modify an existing bandolier.

[Image: 3170151.jpg]

The thick foam is just for show since I had it around and it was the right color so the brown wrap will look alot thinner lol

Maxon
BRB, Posting

03-26-2012, 10:37 PM

And here is the nearly complete bandolier.

[Image: bandolier.jpg]

It turned out abit heavier than I thought with all the pieces on and so I have to make sure it fits pretty snug, which means sewing on like...a plastic buckle or something that I'm gonna have to salvage off a junk bag or backpack so I can take it on and off easily, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially with trying to do it with cheap felt and chalk.

The whole costume is just about finished and will be wearing it at a day only event happening on Saturday.

Maxon
BRB, Posting

03-31-2012, 06:30 PM

And I just got back from a one day con just a short drive away and wore my full costume and gun and had an awesome time.  A whole bunch of people wanted their picture with me and I even got into the costume contest and won for best made prop for my Tomislav.  I have a few tweaks to do to the outfit, such as hot gluing the bullets to the bandolier.  They fit pretty snug, but they slide around abit too much.  Also my front handle on the gun loosened up from being the main part I held most of the time, so I'll have to tighten the screws alot more if it's to handle a full weekend con.

I'll have a picture of me in full gear when the photographer posts his pictures up.

kaese

03-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Congrats on the award!

You could also Gorilla Glue + screw the screws in. They'll probably never come out.

ask me about mpreg