Hello There, Guest! Register

Well, this is irritating - HDD/RAID
HeK
Rotartsinimda

02-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:Karrde link=topic=6255.msg239820#msg239820 date=1330221029]
Ok heres my new issues.

So, I cloned my old sata 2 drive onto the new sata 3.I'm guessing I know whats up but I need more tech questions answered.  So my mobo uses 2 dif controllers and drivers for AHCI.  I cloned my sata 2 to my sata 3.  Which I suppose copies over the sata 2 controller drivers.  So I'd guess this is why my new HDD is showing up as an IDE device as opposed to sata.  This is both in windows and in bios.  Is there anyway to fix this without doing a fresh install of windows (and specifying the correct driver at time of install)?  I really bloody well don't wanna do a full reinstall and update.  I suppose I could make it LESS of a pain in the ass by doing a full backup, wipe the new drive, install, and apply the backup.  Anyone have experience doing this, and is the performance difference really worth it anyway?

Ah...... There is nothing that you can copy between the two drives that will make it appear different to the bios then it really is. The bios only cares about what the drive control board returns.
If you are not using the RAID setting, switch your SATA controller to AHCI mode. If you bluescreen, try IDE-compatible mode.

You generally have to reinstall if going from IDE-compatible to AHCI.
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

02-25-2012, 08:59 PM

So logic would dictate make backup of old drive, format new drive and install windows with the right controller drivers, restore backup, clone sata 3 to sata 2 since the old disk is just to be used to hold clones anyway, and my external will hold my backups.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.