Hello There, Guest! Register

That Dirty Word.... RuneScape
Azure_Angel
Lurker

06-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Ok, hear me out. I know that at one point or another, most if not all of us have played RuneScape before. I know the notoriety associated with the game. It can be some's guilty pleasure, it can be other's gateway drug. For some it's whispered in a dark alleyway; others never speak of it again and deny it's existence. The point of this thread isn't to talk about the game though, it's about the Evolution of Combat Beta.

Normally, I wouldn't post about this game because I could care less about it. I stopped playing it long ago. The only reason why I'm writing this, is because I received an email from Jagex. An email stating that I've been selected to participate in their beta. Intrigued, I looked it up to find out more about it. Jagex completely revamped their combat system to make it more fair, and to keep it up to date with a lot of other MMORPG's out there. Curious as to why I of all people were selected, I realized that my account was linked to my mom's credit card. Therefore my account was still a member, and in Jagex's eyes, A long time player.

On to the beta itself. Yesterday was release day. Yesterday I received the email. Armed with about an hours reading, and a few years gap in game releases, I logged in. Holy boobs batman. Along with the combat update, all women received breast implants of DD's. After a few chuckles, I strolled over to the free items and equipped myself in the style that I would have 4 years ago. Read over a few of the new abilities  that replaced special attack, and put a nice selection in the new ability hot-key bar. Now for the fight. Jumping in to the wilderness, and ready to PK a little fucker, I found myself quickly overwhelmed. The abilities definitely leveled the combat triangle, but I had no idea what I was doing. Quickly killed, I gathered some new items, and went to figure this shit out on a couple monsters.

After about 3 hours of getting the hot-keys down, I rush back into the wildy. I took my first life. The joy of winning, I went on to the next victim. After a killing spree of 3 players, I was finally defeated. The abilities, and duel wielding have definitely revamped the combat. Yes it's not innovative, ground breaking, or industry leading, but it definitely brings renewed interest in the game.

So I was wondering, if it has the gameplay to pull me out of retirement, if only for a week or so, what does the rest of BRB, U think of this update? If not being able to play it for themselves, at least share some thoughts in the provided reading material.

You can bash RuneScape all you want, but I know that most of you have probably been a part of it.

[Image: tumblr_leg7vzNCYq1qe0eclo1_r4_500.gif][Image: I7jRGM7.gif]
Quote:I vote that we always type in different colors now.
Didzo
Uninstalling

06-27-2012, 03:51 PM

What's Runescape? Does it have hats?

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Azure_Angel
Lurker

06-27-2012, 03:52 PM

(06-27-2012, 03:51 PM)Didzo link Wrote: What's Runescape? Does it have hats?

It has an extensive collection of hats. Smile

Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

06-27-2012, 04:05 PM

(06-27-2012, 03:52 PM)Azure_Angel link Wrote: [quote author=Didzo link=topic=6405.msg248369#msg248369 date=1340830285]

[/quote]

I have all the christmas hats

not gonna get into it again but i'll say that construction owns.

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

06-27-2012, 04:37 PM

I liked Runescape before it was cool.  I gotta say Runescape has always had the best quests of any MMO I've ever played, even though it's been saddled with a godawful combat system.  I also loved the crafting system and how it was integral to getting far in the game.  But then came the grand exchange and the wilderness arena, and two of the best facets were purged from the world.  A few months ago I tried to go back to see if anything had improved and nostalgiagasm, but I had forgotten my account details and Jagex wouldn't help me get them back.

Sogo
Didzo of Crafting

06-27-2012, 08:27 PM

(06-27-2012, 03:49 PM)Azure_Angel link Wrote: Ok, hear me out. I know that at one point or another, most if not all of us have played RuneScape before. I know the notoriety associated with the game. It can be some's guilty pleasure, it can be other's gateway drug. For some it's whispered in a dark alleyway; others never speak of it again and deny it's existence. The point of this thread isn't to talk about the game though, it's about the Evolution of Combat Beta.

Normally, I wouldn't post about this game because I could care less about it. I stopped playing it long ago. The only reason why I'm writing this, is because I received an email from Jagex. An email stating that I've been selected to participate in their beta. Intrigued, I looked it up to find out more about it. Jagex completely revamped their combat system to make it more fair, and to keep it up to date with a lot of other MMORPG's out there. Curious as to why I of all people were selected, I realized that my account was linked to my mom's credit card. Therefore my account was still a member, and in Jagex's eyes, A long time player.

On to the beta itself. Yesterday was release day. Yesterday I received the email. Armed with about an hours reading, and a few years gap in game releases, I logged in. Holy boobs batman. Along with the combat update, all women received breast implants of DD's. After a few chuckles, I strolled over to the free items and equipped myself in the style that I would have 4 years ago. Read over a few of the new abilities  that replaced special attack, and put a nice selection in the new ability hot-key bar. Now for the fight. Jumping in to the wilderness, and ready to PK a little fucker, I found myself quickly overwhelmed. The abilities definitely leveled the combat triangle, but I had no idea what I was doing. Quickly killed, I gathered some new items, and went to figure this shit out on a couple monsters.

After about 3 hours of getting the hot-keys down, I rush back into the wildy. I took my first life. The joy of winning, I went on to the next victim. After a killing spree of 3 players, I was finally defeated. The abilities, and duel wielding have definitely revamped the combat. Yes it's not innovative, ground breaking, or industry leading, but it definitely brings renewed interest in the game.

So I was wondering, if it has the gameplay to pull me out of retirement, if only for a week or so, what does the rest of BRB, U think of this update? If not being able to play it for themselves, at least share some thoughts in the provided reading material.

You can bash RuneScape all you want, but I know that most of you have probably been a part of it.

I... I sometimes play Runescape still.

[move][/move]
Squishy3
Closet Furry

06-27-2012, 08:36 PM

(06-27-2012, 03:52 PM)Azure_Angel link Wrote: [quote author=Didzo link=topic=6405.msg248369#msg248369 date=1340830285]

[/quote]I remember the Santa Hat craze back in the day.

I feel like Runescape is less of a dirty word than Maplestory.

Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

(06-27-2012, 08:36 PM)Squishy link Wrote: Maplestory.

lmao that game. just lmao

Squishy3
Closet Furry

06-27-2012, 09:13 PM

(06-27-2012, 09:11 PM)versus link Wrote: [quote author=Squishy link=topic=6405.msg248402#msg248402 date=1340847372]Maplestory.

lmao that game. just lmao
[/quote]i guess its a lot better grindwise and mechanics wise now but the economy is absolutely fucked because hackers have been prevalent for 8+ years

Azure_Angel
Lurker

07-10-2012, 09:57 PM

(06-27-2012, 08:27 PM)Sogo Payne link Wrote: I... I sometimes play Runescape still.

Just out of curiosity, did you try out the weekend beta at all?

zaneyard
Made with Whole Gainz (tm)

07-10-2012, 10:14 PM

Watched a video a few weeks ago about the "new" combat shit they were adding.
Honestly it just reminded me of how RS was, and still is, babbies first mmo.
EVE Online will forever be the greatest thrill I've ever received from an MMO due to the risk/reward nature of the game. As far as treadmill gaming goes, I could just play Calladooty if I wanted.
I'd love to look at RS again with unbiased eyes, but I really think that treadmill gaming is no longer "fun" for me, especially with GW2 on the way.

(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote:well i'm not really understanding how it's faster internet. and like google just magically rolls outs this stuff and it's 100 times faster than my internet? why? that doesn't set off any alarms to anyone?

(11-07-2012, 11:15 PM)at0m link Wrote:I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE OVERINDULGED ON RUM AND COKES AT OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE

THE BARTENDER WAS BRAGGING ABOUT BEING A LEFTY. I SAID I WAS A RIGHTY, BUT THAT I COULD UNDO A BRA WITH JUST MY LEFT HAND. ASKED HER IF THAT COUNTED AS BEING AMBIDEXTROUS. SHE SAID 'NOT REALLY'. tHEN HANDED ME ANOTHER DRINK.

I COUN THAT AS A WIN

CUBA LIBRE
Sogo
Didzo of Crafting

07-11-2012, 01:11 PM

(07-10-2012, 09:57 PM)Azure_Angel link Wrote: [quote author=Sogo Payne link=topic=6405.msg248400#msg248400 date=1340846831]

[/quote]

I did try it out, Thought it was pretty nice, found a facewrecking combo.

[move][/move]
Azure_Angel
Lurker

07-11-2012, 09:46 PM

(07-10-2012, 10:14 PM)zaneyard link Wrote: Watched a video a few weeks ago about the "new" combat shit they were adding.
Honestly it just reminded me of how RS was, and still is, babbies first mmo.
EVE Online will forever be the greatest thrill I've ever received from an MMO due to the risk/reward nature of the game. As far as treadmill gaming goes, I could just play Calladooty if I wanted.
I'd love to look at RS again with unbiased eyes, but I really think that treadmill gaming is no longer "fun" for me, especially with GW2 on the way.

You can wait for the rework and try it again. It's a pretty radical change from the old game.

(07-11-2012, 01:11 PM)Sogo Payne link Wrote: [quote author=Azure_Angel link=topic=6405.msg249375#msg249375 date=1341975437]
[quote author=Sogo Payne link=topic=6405.msg248400#msg248400 date=1340846831]

[/quote]

I did try it out, Thought it was pretty nice, found a facewrecking combo.
[/quote]

It's surprisingly fun again, though I haven't had much time to play. We should play this coming weekend. Smile