Hello There, Guest! Register

Gasman, Revisited
Gasman
Lurker

08-03-2012, 11:21 PM

I've thought about making this for a bit, since I've been here for two plus years and tried to post as little as possible for personal reasons, so I figure it's about time that everyone learns about who I am.

My name is Matthew. I was born in Arizona 23 years ago, and my parents moved to Louisiana with me and older brother in tow after a year or so. My dear sis was born there a few years later and we stayed there for a total of around 8 years before moving back to Arizona and staying here to date. I still have fond memories of Lou'ana and would like to go back to experience it all again. Not move to stay, but just for a trip. I've been in the mood for some good creole food for some time now. Luckily, me ma and I are going to be making some crawfish pie in a couple weeks. Frozen crawfish, but it's better than nothing.

For most of my life I've been a perpetual student, getting gud grades, working diligently on assignments, getting mediocre grades in PE (no upper body strength and pudgy physique do not an athlete make), and all the social awkwardness that a shy introvert commands. Everything up through high school was a piece of cake, and I even managed to enroll in a year's worth of college classes during high school for free (I am extremely grateful looking back at it that I was forced to enroll in the program instead of lazing off like I wanted to do). I got a full scholarship for two more years of college, and ended up earning two Associate's at once by the end of it. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't find any more scholarships or grants for a middle class male white teenager and wasn't about to take out any loans, so I began my search for a job. After 2 years of fruitless searching (who'da thunk that an intellectual with two Associate's and no job experience couldn't even land a job at a burger king) me ma managed to get her superior to look at my resume, he was instantly interested and I was hired through a temp agency. The survival rate of most temps at the business is usually one week because of the Six Sigma policies that are in place there. I thrived because of my, um, talents (I'll explain in a bit) though and was hired full time in no time at all. I've been at the job for the past year and couple months now, saved up for a nice car, and am now saving up for my new medical expenses and ACEN. Oh, if any of you find out where I actually work at, please don't say what it is because they have eyes and ears constantly searching the web for any slandering of their name and have been lawyer-happy in the past, and I don't want to be associated with any of it.

My extended family all have their own quirks and mental issues. I liken it to our family breeds psychopaths, which is somewhat accurate. My cousin, who a couple of you have spoken to over steam, for instance, is a brilliant person, but he lives, breathes and exudes nihilism. My brother and my dad are the same exact person, which is to say they are blockheads. They cannot even acknowledge other viewpoints other than their own, and tend to make the dumbest choices over and over. Me? I'm a stubborn obsessive-compulsive perfectionist with a lack of willpower when I need it most and an inferiority complex to top it all off. The inferiority complex doesn't exactly work like how you would think it would, though. The perfectionist in me tells me to strive even further than I can, the obsessive-compulsive nature of me makes sure I do it right, and the inferiority complex forces me to constantly think that whatever I do isn't ever good enough, so the loop continues until I reach the limits of what I can do and leaves me with low self esteem if I can't hit perfection. I also tend to not follow normal societal norms and hate humanity as a whole because of what we are as a whole, but I'm quite content with individuals I know.

Life has dealt me with a bad hand regarding my genetics and health. My Italian ancestors' inbreeding created a malformation of our knee muscles which causes easy dislocation. I've dislocated my right knee in the 10th grade because of it. Family history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, diabetes, cancers and glaucoma. Hell, just a month ago I was diagnosed with glaucoma, most likely from genetics. A 23 year old shouldn't have glaucoma, and yet I do.

I don't want pity for any of my issues, though. Far from it. I am not a charity case, I WILL earn my dues and I will live my life to the fullest that I can. I will experience all that I can, see all that I see, help all who I can help, do all that I can do. If, when, my sight goes, my body gives way, my mind crumbles and I can no longer help myself, I will know that I did all that I could. There is no point in worrying about anything, for I will change what I can and accept what I cannot. If I need help, I will accept it, but the one thing that my dad taught me that I will take with me is that the only person you can ever truly rely on is yourself, and if something needs to be done, you must be the person to do it. Uh, life is like a good joke, don't take it too seriously and enjoy it throughout it all. Any other life lessons I can remember go here.

I'm a Christian, but mainly in name only. I know the fallacies in the current views that Christianity has, and yet I can't help but still believe that somewhere, there is the truth in what is there about God, Heaven and salvation. That's where I break from modern Christianity, though. I believe that everyone is equal and should be treated with equal kindness and fairness, no matter what religion, ethnic group, sex, gender, sexuality, or anything else that makes us different. We should be tolerant of each other's beliefs and each other in general. I know it's idyllic and impossible to achieve, but a boy can dream. I also like to think I still have a semblance of a soul after years of corruption by internet.

I can't think of too much else to say, so I'll just rattle off some more random sentences before I finish. I am very loyal to my friends and would never do anything to willingly hurt you all. I like to fold origami and have been practicing since I was a wee boy in Lou'ana. My favorite food is any italian pasta with a well made bolognese sauce, props if it includes italian sausage. I am a disillusioned conservative democrat, so I'll leave it at that. My first game console was the Sega Genesis, and I also played the hell out of nes systems, mah game boy variations, n64 and gamecube. And that's all I can think of. Feel free to ask ANYTHING at all and I'll answer to the best of my abilities; nothing is sacred as long as it's about me. I swear I'll try to post here more in the future. Love you all, you're the best family I've ever had who aren't related to me!
Didzo
Uninstalling

08-03-2012, 11:52 PM

I'll be honest, I'm now really curious about your work.

Also, post some origami.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
TOH
BRB, Posting

08-04-2012, 01:20 AM

(08-03-2012, 11:21 PM)Gasman link Wrote: I'm a Christian, but mainly in name only. I know the fallacies in the current views that Christianity has, and yet I can't help but still believe that somewhere, there is the truth in what is there about God, Heaven and salvation. That's where I break from modern Christianity, though. I believe that everyone is equal and should be treated with equal kindness and fairness, no matter what religion, ethnic group, sex, gender, sexuality, or anything else that makes us different. We should be tolerant of each other's beliefs and each other in general. I know it's idyllic and impossible to achieve, but a boy can dream. I also like to think I still have a semblance of a soul after years of corruption by internet.

I feel you there, I'm pretty similar in that regard. I do believe in God and the like, but the religious group itself I've come to dislike. The intolerance of many goes against what good people do, and yet they believe themselves to be good anyway. I just don't understand it.

In any case, glad to hear more about you. Maybe I'll have to do a re-intro myself sometime.

Bonesinger
BRB, Posting

08-04-2012, 02:07 AM

I LUV U MATT
Gasman
Lurker

08-04-2012, 12:12 PM

(08-03-2012, 11:52 PM)Didzo link Wrote: I'll be honest, I'm now really curious about your work.

Also, post some origami.

I work in the billing portion of this particular company. Lots of peoples' personal data goes through my fingers every day, and a lot of measures are taken by the company to keep their customers and clients safe and happy. Part of this involves keeping the face of the company in as high regard with the public as possible, which means lawsuits and other legal means which I've only heard through the grapevine about. In addition to this, every employee is expected to be the face of the company at all times, which is why I don't want it to be known where I work at, since it will most definitely limit what I can do. There's more to it, but I don't really want to get any further into my work than this since I don't want to gossip. Oh, right, the current Six Sigma goals for us right now is under 3% error rate on a high volume of work every day, so high stress low reward jobs make for good times. Makes me happy that I can cope so well with most anything.

Picture time; you can see in the middle of the clump of assorted atoms a big colorful icosohedron. Made that a long time ago, don't remember when. I can also whip up something quickly if anyone wants me to make something in particular, assuming I can find some instructions on how to make it.

[Image: image-2.jpg]

(08-04-2012, 01:20 AM)TOH link Wrote: I feel you there, I'm pretty similar in that regard. I do believe in God and the like, but the religious group itself I've come to dislike. The intolerance of many goes against what good people do, and yet they believe themselves to be good anyway. I just don't understand it.

In any case, glad to hear more about you. Maybe I'll have to do a re-intro myself sometime.

I personally believe that the intolerance isn't about the group itself, but just human nature in general. Us as a species as a whole tend to be violent, hateful, impulsive monsters, which is why I hate us as a whole with a passion. And yess, make a re-intro, I'm curious about everyone here's backstories.

(08-04-2012, 02:07 AM)Boney link Wrote: I LUV U MATT

I LERV U TOO BONEY LETS MAEK OOT
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

08-05-2012, 08:50 AM

(08-04-2012, 12:12 PM)Gasman link Wrote: Picture time; you can see in the middle of the clump of assorted atoms a big colorful icosohedron. Made that a long time ago, don't remember when. I can also whip up something quickly if anyone wants me to make something in particular, assuming I can find some instructions on how to make it.

Ever do papercraft?

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
Gasman
Lurker

08-05-2012, 10:40 AM

(08-05-2012, 08:50 AM)Caffeine link Wrote: Ever do papercraft?

I have not. I have heard of it, though and have been somewhat curious in trying it out. Unfortunately I don't have access to a printer right now and can't print up anything.