Hello There, Guest! Register

Android tablets?
Trace
Killing anything that twitches

09-07-2012, 04:41 PM

In the market for an android tablet, I'm really interested in getting a Nexus 7. I don't like the larger form factor tablets, and after experiencing my parents Kindle Fire I'm not sure I like what amazon does with their hardware. Anyone have experience with a Nexus 7 or a good alternative?
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2012, 04:45 PM by Trace.)
Vandamguy

09-07-2012, 05:03 PM

it is the opinion of many hardware pundits that the nexus 7 is pretty much the best-in-class tablet. head and shoulders above any other option don't even waste your time researching.

i wasted some of my time for you

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409362,00.asp
a tech spec comparison between the nexus 7 and kindle fire hd

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp
more in-depth nexus 7 review
Trace
Killing anything that twitches

09-07-2012, 07:50 PM

<3, gonna spring for 16gb Nexus 7  ;D
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

09-08-2012, 10:10 PM

That thing coming out made me kinda regret getting my Transformer.

Then I remember I don't really use the Transformer, which means I wouldn't really be using anything else. Derp.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
matter11
BRB, Posting

09-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Welp, I've spoiled myself and gotten a kindle fire hd 7". The reason I decided to get this instead of the nexus is that I already will be having a phone running jellybean and I buy so much from amazon that I already pay for a prime subscription. Having A-prime also provides a free netflix-like streaming service and free kindle lending library if you have a kindle. The fire runs ads in it and I understand how that would bother people but I'm fine with it. What really made it for me was the $199 price tag and its dual band dual antenna. I'll post a full review when I receive it next week.

[Image: SKihE.gif]
matter11
BRB, Posting

09-17-2012, 09:21 PM

update: been playing with my kindle fire all evening and i'm very happy with it and posting this on it.
kindle fire hd 7" 16gb: $199
leather case: $45 (which is bullshit overpriced but the only third party design had poor reviews.)
charger: $10 (which was again bs but the reason they don't include one is they expect people to have a microusb charger for their phones)
amazon prime: $40/year (not required) (($80 for nonstudents))
-free 2day shipping on lots of amazon products
-amazon's version of netflix streaming on select titles, some good ones but not all that much
-kindle lending library- one free book rental a month. lots of best sellers and others
-obviously very easy to spend money on amazon products, book, media, and apps.

if you do not subscribe to amazon prime you would probably want to root the tablet to run jellybean seeing as how amazon's heavy mod of it would be pointless without amazon features.

pros-
very good feeling build quality
gorgeous screen, better than my netbook's
good speakers, again better than my netbook's by far
internet speed is very nice thanks to the dual antenna
keyboard is manageable although i type with two index fingers
case is also of a respectable quality
reading is, of course, very easy on this.
unlimited cloud storage

cons- the major gripe of everyone is of course the ads. the lock screen is a changing ad and the main screen has "others bought" as you scroll through them. if you think this is something that would bother you it probably will. I shop on amazon so much and enjoy their services so i'm happy to run stock and be in amazon's money milked drone army big happy family.

also you have to use amazon's app store instead of droid's which is much more extensive. it's not a big deal for me because i would rather have utility apps on a phone, which i will have soon.

if it breaks or i have another gripe i'll update this.

update: the standing case has occasional slipping issues. not really a problem if you're careful where you put it.

update 2: a few days have passed and i'm still glued to it. no one anywhere will ever need a tablet but goddamn is this thing wonderful for leisure. i'm just a person who enjoys doing things lying down, such as browsing or reading, and that's just not comfortable with a netbook. however i've noticed some streaming and video service will have a lot of black around the screen, namely hbo go because it's tailored originally to stream on phones. netflix is fine though.

at the very least it's really encouraged me to read. i check the news a few times a day and have gone through a kindle library book on yoga and two issues of nat geo (which is fantastically done for tablets. it's supplemented with videos you wouldn't get in a hard issue.

[Image: SKihE.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012, 12:14 AM by matter11.)
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

04-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Crosspost, selling my nexus 7. Not because I dislike it (I actually love it), but because I can't justify having two tablets.