Hello There, Guest! Register

Generic's Battlecast Cho'Gath WIP
The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-02-2012, 01:13 PM

So I have posted about doing this before, but I am getting started on it this weekend, and will hopefully make progress on this thing every weekend til ACEN.  For those of you who don't know, Cho'Gath is a champion from the game League of Legends.  His most recent skin is what is called a legendary skin, meaning that the model is not only different, but has special audio and visual effects separate from the base character. 

Battlecast Prime Cho'Gath Splash Art:
[Image: chogath.jpg]

Front of the model:
[Image: tumblr_m7uwhz0KkP1qcts2z.jpg]

Video with Animations:
http://youtu.be/X_aVyShT8lw

I emailed Riot Games to see if they are willing to provide me with sounds and base files for this sucker.  I'll post on here once I get an answer.

As this is MY FIRST COSPLAY, this is going to be a serious undertaking.  I am one of those people who wants this to be damn near perfect, which means working lights and sounds (Kung-Fu grip optional).  I'ma have my to do list on here.  I'll try and post my progress when I can, but I think this is a good start.  The electronics being used here are also relevant to my interests so bleh.

To-Do:
1.Get myself measured for dimensions
2.Get tools
3.Get Materials (figure out costs and what not)
    -I plan on using Urethane foam as well as some more rigid material that Tracedarkwind showed me.  He said hes gonna help me wit dis shit.
4a.Head
    -LEDs
    -Working Jaw
    -Probably mesh or something to see out of.
4b.Arms
    -Controls for entire costume
    -LEDs
    -Figure out how moving parts will move
4c.Legs+Tail
    - Get Measured, get'em built
    - Retractable/Collapsable Tail
    - Piano wire to hold up tail.
4d.Torso+Shoulders
    -Plates (they bounce, so I will be putting them on hinges)
    -Inner structure of the torso
    -Speakers
    -?Fiber Optic cables?
    -Either electric motor or pulley system for Missile Bays(Vorpal spikes)

Questions?  Suggestions?  Constructive help?  Any of these would be appreciated.  THANKS U GUYS

Generic

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]
3DS Friend Code: 4098-3295-0639
Eschatos
Jack Thompson Fan Club Member

12-02-2012, 02:53 PM

How is a human gonna fit in there without being hunched over and uncomfortable as hell?

The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-02-2012, 03:09 PM

(12-02-2012, 02:53 PM)Eschatos link Wrote: How is a human gonna fit in there without being hunched over and uncomfortable as hell?

Hunched over?  Yes I will be a bit.  But I don't plan on wearing this for hours on end.  That's just stupid.  I plan on wearing it for maybe an hour at a time at most.  I am trying to design it so I can be more comfortable inside, and trying to have it so I wont have to hunch too much.  I know I will have to design this thing with lighter materials.  I'm going to have speakers on my shoulders, so I will have weight from that pushing down on my shoulders unless I can redirect the weight from that, or spread the weight of the speakers out.

Didzo
Uninstalling

12-03-2012, 12:14 AM

(12-02-2012, 03:09 PM)The Generic Name link Wrote: [quote author=Eschatos link=topic=6652.msg257780#msg257780 date=1354477991]
How is a human gonna fit in there without being hunched over and uncomfortable as hell?

Hunched over?  Yes I will be a bit.  But I don't plan on wearing this for hours on end.  That's just stupid.  I plan on wearing it for maybe an hour at a time at most.  I am trying to design it so I can be more comfortable inside, and trying to have it so I wont have to hunch too much.  I know I will have to design this thing with lighter materials.  I'm going to have speakers on my shoulders, so I will have weight from that pushing down on my shoulders unless I can redirect the weight from that, or spread the weight of the speakers out.
[/quote]

I've never made a costume before, but being hunched over like that with gear on you might screw up your back for a day or two, even if you only wear it for an hour.

Maybe you could have the head sticking out of your chest and just stick a black nylon face mask thing over your head. It wouldn't be a perfect recreation, but would make for a more wearable costume. You could also wear black nylons if you want the legs to look as close to the model as possible by constructing them on the outside or around your actual legs.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 12:17 AM by Didzo.)
Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

12-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Depending on how ambitious you are feeling, you could try something like this for the hunched over look:

http://youtu.be/wB2HTAcbmck

The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-03-2012, 11:07 AM

(12-03-2012, 12:14 AM)Didzo link Wrote: [quote author=The Generic Name link=topic=6652.msg257781#msg257781 date=1354478988]
[quote author=Eschatos link=topic=6652.msg257780#msg257780 date=1354477991]

Hunched over?  Yes I will be a bit.   But I don't plan on wearing this for hours on end.  That's just stupid.  I plan on wearing it for maybe an hour at a time at most.  I am trying to design it so I can be more comfortable inside, and trying to have it so I wont have to hunch too much.  I know I will have to design this thing with lighter materials.  I'm going to have speakers on my shoulders, so I will have weight from that pushing down on my shoulders unless I can redirect the weight from that, or spread the weight of the speakers out.
[/quote]

I've never made a costume before, but being hunched over like that with gear on you might screw up your back for a day or two, even if you only wear it for an hour.

Maybe you could have the head sticking out of your chest and just stick a black nylon face mask thing over your head. It wouldn't be a perfect recreation, but would make for a more wearable costume. You could also wear black nylons if you want the legs to look as close to the model as possible by constructing them on the outside or around your actual legs.
[/quote]

I've seen one too many League of Legends cosplays to know that this cant sway from realism.  Otherwise, I might as well hold a boombox and put on a giant gray cardboard box with angry eyes, and call it battlecrap cho.  I am not willing to do sub par.  I do lan on having my legs be like you have suggested from the start, but having my head pop out of the top is something that I am not willing to consider.

(12-03-2012, 10:29 AM)Evil Cheese link Wrote: Depending on how ambitious you are feeling, you could try something like this for the hunched over look:

I wont be that hunched over.  I have drawings of where I am wanting to be.  I would post em if I had a scanner at hand.

k0ala
BRB, Posting

12-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:As this is MY FIRST COSPLAY
Quote:wants this to be damn near perfect,
It won't be. But you'll make it work and there'll be 1000 things wrong and hastily patched over that only you will be able to see. (and you'll have to be restrained from pointing out all the flaws to admirers)

[Image: i9pkpXG.jpg]
The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-03-2012, 11:00 PM

(12-03-2012, 05:26 PM)k0ala link Wrote:
Quote:As this is MY FIRST COSPLAY
Quote:wants this to be damn near perfect,
It won't be. But you'll make it work and there'll be 1000 things wrong and hastily patched over that only you will be able to see. (and you'll have to be restrained from pointing out all the flaws to admirers)

I know....but I want to be happy with it before I bring it out for cons.