Hello There, Guest! Register

RAM Cache
Vandamguy

02-03-2013, 12:15 AM

Thought this was a pretty cool idea for those of you with an abundance of RAM

http://www.corsair.com/blog/vengeance-32...ocialMedia

its a bit advertisey with the writeup considering the source , but the principal is sound. 
HeK
Rotartsinimda

02-03-2013, 12:34 AM

Until you loose power during a write cycle and corrupt any number of files....

A proper hardware ram cache uses a battery backup.
Vandamguy

02-03-2013, 12:46 AM

(02-03-2013, 12:34 AM)HeK link Wrote: Until you loose power during a write cycle and corrupt any number of files....

Quote:. A RAM cache allocates a chunk of your memory ... A RAM disk is very similar — however, if you lose power, everything on the RAM disk is lost forever, while the data in the RAM cache is mirrored in the hard drive or SSD.

im not sure if you missed reading that part or if everyone in this community just like shitting on each others posts
Didzo
Uninstalling

02-03-2013, 02:32 AM

(02-03-2013, 12:46 AM)Vandamdad link Wrote: [quote author=HeK link=topic=6755.msg261363#msg261363 date=1359869642]
Until you loose power during a write cycle and corrupt any number of files....

Quote:. A RAM cache allocates a chunk of your memory ... A RAM disk is very similar — however, if you lose power, everything on the RAM disk is lost forever, while the data in the RAM cache is mirrored in the hard drive or SSD.

im not sure if you missed reading that part or if everyone in this community just like shitting on each others posts
[/quote]

Yes.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
HeK
Rotartsinimda

02-03-2013, 12:09 PM

I see Vandam deleted his account, possible rage quit?

The author of the article does not fully understand how caching works, or the problems associated with it.

In simple terms, when you read or write a file, it is copied from your slow HDD/SSD to your fast memory. Changes are made in memory on demand and transferred between the memory cache and your drive later, when speed isn't important. This is called a transaction delay. The ram cache makes use of read ahead, transaction logs to buffer the most commonly accessed blocks from your drives, this means core files from your OS like your registry. So, when changes are made in the cache there is a window where the ram cache does not match what is stored on the drive. If power is lost before the write is complete, the files become corrupted. This is why proper drive controllers with ram caches have battery backups, so that the writes can be completed when power is restored.

Source: I admin multiple petabyte sized fibrechannel disk arrays.
at0m
Official Con Soccer Mom

02-04-2013, 01:54 PM

What a terribly inane thing to ragequit over. You weren't even being nasty about it.

I tried using a RAMDisk at one point to play around with emulating an OS a long time ago, but I haven't really thought about it since. Haven't really felt the need, as the risks did not outweigh the rewards. The same reasoning applies in my mind to Raid-0 arrays of anything, really.

"If you want to be a Double E, bend over and grab your knees...."
"Atom is Sexy!" <-- Donate your own pic to the cause!
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu
Versus
My fursona is a blops attack dog

02-04-2013, 02:32 PM

i'm sure he'll enjoy spending even more time on reddit