Hello There, Guest! Register

Pimp my network (and entertainment center)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

05-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Consider a buffer a "data queue". What happens in most streaming systems is it actually loads up a certain amount of time and stops until it reaches a certain point. Then it buffers up again. This way you are not as persistently using the data, and it can continue to play even for a minute or two up until it reaches the end of the current buffer. So if you get an interruption that is only temporary, you may or may not see an interruption in your stream. If it bufers very well you may not see an interruption at all.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
Eightball
Booze Makes Me Gay

11-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Haven't updated this in a while.

Ended up buying an older Sony Bravia 40" off some college friends who were moving away. The synology works nicely, but it really was an overpriced solution for what I was trying to accomplish. Plex has most of its kinks worked out, though it hasn't been finding metadata since I installed a new router. Now that I'm all set up, I probably could have just bypassed the whole roku-nas schtick if I had just ran XBMC or something off of my desktop with a remote, and ran an input to my TV. Which is what I'm here to post about now.

I'm trying to set things up so I can mirror my main monitor's display onto my TV. My video card ONLY features 2 DVI-D outputs, and my TV has only DVI-A and a single working HDMI port (which I have a switcher connected to). I have a DVI to HDMI cable, but it has a few problems, the first of which is that it's a pain to have to disconnect my secondary monitor to free up a port when I want to mirror. Secondly, the TV display sometimes flickers black. It was doing it quite a lot last night, but then after an hour or so stayed steady. No idea what is causing this.

Does DVI splitting work? I've been looking at reviews and most splitters seem to have problems. Is this a bad means by which to mirror a display?