Hello There, Guest! Register

Stream video from computer to TV
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

03-19-2013, 01:34 PM

Helping the rents on this issue since I haven't bothered to set up a proper AV network for myself and haven't researched this.  So here's the issue.

My parents just got a nice new TV.  TV doesn't do flash.  Flash is shit anyway.  Horrible programming language.  So what they want to do is be able to stream web based content from places that don't have apps for the TV.  Specifically PBS' website.  I don't think a media server is the solution since they won't have the files locally.  The TV is also a room away so running that much HDMI would be a giant pain in the ass.  It *could* be done since I already ran ethernet a few years back but I'd rather not.  Is there any way to route it over ethernet without purchasing a separate media streamer device?  If worst comes to worst I'll run HDMI but I'm looking for a more elegant solution that would also provide more functionality.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.
HeK
Rotartsinimda

03-19-2013, 01:46 PM

http://www.pbs.org/about/faq/site-help/view-online/

"A limited amount of PBS programming is available on a title by title basis for the Roku box via Netflix and Amazon. Additionally, programs are available on a similar set-top box called Vudu.

A number of our programs are available for viewing online. You can find a compilation of PBS programs currently available by visiting the following web site:
PBS Video

Some of our programs are also available through Hulu.com. You can find our content on Hulu at:
PBS on Hulu

You can also find full-length episodes of your favorite PBS KIDS! and  PBS KIDS GO! programs at:
PBS KIDS!
PBS KIDS GO!

Several of our programs are also available for purchasing through iTunes and Amazon.com at:
iTunes
Amazon.com"
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

03-19-2013, 02:35 PM

HeK's pretty much hit the nail on the head. If it's a smart TV it may have a hulu app, but there's a monthly fee for that.
Amazon Prime can get some instant videos for free, but again monthly fee.

If the TV isn't a smart TV then you can always use an alternate media streamer to provide these apps as well, some people like apple tv's, there's "google tv" set top boxes, and roku all at your disposal. But ultimately in terms of the PBS programming and streaming, there's probably going to be a charge (apart from what is "Free" according to HeK's post.)

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
[fr31ns]Karrde
The Handy Murse

03-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Hmmmmm, HDMI might be the easier solution then.  I don't really like the for pay services when I'm looking for something specific.  Mostly because invariably they don't have it or they don't have a complete library.

<+Karrde> welp, time to learn some basic patterning skills
<@Negate> 12121212121212121212
<@Negate> there is a simple pattern
<+Karrde> I changed my mind.  Gonna cosplay as a gay demon from hell and get negate raped instead XD
<+Caffeine`work> Karrde: Gay demon? Why would you need to cosplay just go as yourself
<+FlyingMongoose> Caffeine`work: Karrde would actually have to tone it down some.