Hello There, Guest! Register

Finished w/ Pictures How many Pandas does it take?
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-21-2013, 04:26 PM

All Done, Pictures are on PC Partpicker

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/H9O

All Done, Pictures are on PC Partpicker

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/H9O

About 47.

Ahh see what I did there. Panda humor.

In anycase, I am running into Social issues when it comes to making this computer I am planning to unleash. I am getting different information from several sources one person saying I need this, and this. then someone else says I dont need that. I really have not a clue.

Ill post my PCpartpicker and you guys can laugh.

This is my goal, I need a computer that 1) I can play games on Ultra 2)I can Stream said games 3) Video edit 4) Collage work 5) autocad

My budget is 3000 for EVERYTHING,computer, Monitor, Mouse, keyboard, HeadsetMicrophone, Mousepad, webcam, Router (That has extended range as much as possible, I am also building my mother an office in the Back house which was a guest house, that is about 60 ft away), Star Wars Yoda USB Desk Protector, Also the programs I may need for Video Editing and streaming (streaming is free but whatever), possibly a cap card.

I am just getting really frustrated with looking over this stuff and getting different responses from people. "You'll want that", "You do not need that" and so on. someone put a PC part list together for me, then I took it to someone else and they said na, get this. so I am just getting irritated by the whole process, I want to get this build ready to buy 3rd or the 4th of November. I feel like this is more of a hassle then buying a car. :/ Then again I know more about cars.

I just need some help here.

I kinda wanna go with a 6 core Processor and maybe a 6gb GPU, maybe that is over kill, but I dont want to worry about upgrading for awhile.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/About47Pandas/saved/2pd7

the Monitor and mouse etc is whatever at the moment, I just wanted to see where the price might be.

I just want to run everything on Ultra, run smoothly while streaming or recording, I have 2 guys that will help me set up the bios (these are the guys that cant agree on what stuff I should get, which brings me to think they have different ideas on how a Bios should be set up)

Any help would be awesome. I am debating just scrapping this and buying a premade, but I really want to learn and know what is in my PC, and know how to put it together.

also this help can go towards "Save the Panda Foundation" I emailed them that I am 47 pandas, we are in a dispute if this is applicable but I digress.

What would help me a lot is if someone could put a PC together on Partpicker and I just buy it.

[Image: reaction-shot.gif] [Image: tumblr_m3blhl0nu81rnoksyo1_500.gif][Image: SavingPrivateRyan2.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM by About47Pandas.)
rumbot
BRB, Posting

10-21-2013, 05:02 PM

that's a lot of overkill there. Some random points.

If your goal is to play on Ultra, you're probably better off scaling down somewhat and upgrading every 2 years. That's about the horizon when anything you could possibly buy today is going to start to have to lower some settings on some games.

I can't advise on the autocad/video work.

My preference last couple of cycles has been toward nvidia over ATI.

a wireless router is going to be marginally acceptable, unless you rig up some directional antennas. depending on the wiring, ethernet powerline adapters might be better. if it's your property, better off running some cat5 out there. in any case, make sure your gaming rig is wired, not wireless.
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-21-2013, 05:13 PM

My rig will be wired, I want to run internet to the guest house. So upgrading every two years, ok. So what could I do with the older parts? I feel like a 2 year investment is bad if I cannot resell or use the older part.

[Image: reaction-shot.gif] [Image: tumblr_m3blhl0nu81rnoksyo1_500.gif][Image: SavingPrivateRyan2.gif]
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

10-21-2013, 05:17 PM

You also forgot a power supply.

I'm guessing your video editing is going to be footage of you playing games, correct? You shouldn't need a capture card for anything either unless you plan on digitizing old home movies or something. Professional video editing software will likely set you back at least $1000 without any student discount and they usually have a very steep learning curve.

About47Pandas
Lurker

10-21-2013, 05:20 PM

I was looking at PS's and I was changing them out, looking at 700watt then changed it to a 1000, then a 1200, because when I was looking at that 6gb GPU it said it can suck up to 600 watts, and again, I am not super computer savvy so I was worried that I wouldn't get enough power.

I feel like a chick buying a car...

also FlyingMongoose found this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...9&csid=_61

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM by About47Pandas.)
HeK
Rotartsinimda

10-21-2013, 07:42 PM

SSD, Samsung over anything, especially the balls-slow Sandforce based Mushkin drives.

$90 mouse and a $10 keyboard? Do your fingers a favour and get something with Cherry switches. Logitech g710+ at the minimum.

Have you thought about building a Haswell i7-4770K system instead of the older and much more expensive Sandybridge-K?
The CPU alone is half the price and even outperforms in video rendering benchmarks.
You'll save power and unless you are planning hefty overclocking, will perform very similar across the board.
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-21-2013, 07:46 PM

(10-21-2013, 07:42 PM)HeK link Wrote: SSD, Samsung over anything, especially the balls-slow Sandforce based Mushkin drives.

$90 mouse and a $10 keyboard? Do your fingers a favour and get something with Cherry switches. Logitech g710+ at the minimum.

Have you thought about building a Haswell i7-4770K system instead of the older and much more expensive Sandybridge-K?
The CPU alone is half the price and even outperforms in video rendering benchmarks.
You'll save power and unless you are planning hefty overclocking, will perform very similar across the board.

I am not getting that mouse or keyboard, I was just putting that in there for shits and giggles. I am more worried about the PC in general.

So a Haswell i7 4770k Note that down.
--- Isnt this a quad core? I was under the impression - as well as from the reviews I have read that the 6core is uber insane fast

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 07:57 PM by About47Pandas.)
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-21-2013, 09:04 PM

How does this build look?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 2000 7.1 Channel Headset ($143.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2731.83

HeK
Rotartsinimda

10-21-2013, 10:31 PM

(10-21-2013, 07:46 PM)About47Pandas link Wrote: [quote author=HeK link=topic=7108.msg272538#msg272538 date=1382402564]
SSD, Samsung over anything, especially the balls-slow Sandforce based Mushkin drives.

I am not getting that mouse or keyboard, I was just putting that in there for shits and giggles. I am more worried about the PC in general.

So a Haswell i7 4770k Note that down.
--- Isnt this a quad core? I was under the impression - as well as from the reviews I have read that the 6core is uber insane fast

[/quote]

The Naos 8200 is a nice mouse, btw.

The 4770K is a quadcore, but it is also two generations newer then the 3930K. Smaller die size, etc. Newer mobo chipsets, etc.
The advantage of the additional two cores is immediately offset by the die size and generational differences, even before you factor in price.

You can take advantage of the new chip with faster then 1600mhz ram as well, look for a 2133 or even a 2400 kit.

While SLI is very attractive, there are certain unforeseen compatibility issues that may arise. You may find yourself turning SLI on and off for different games.
The new nVidia Experience software is making this far less painful now.

Windows 8.1? Uh.... placeholder?
CaffeinePowered
Mad Hatter

10-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Get windows 7, do not get 8

Also SLI is overkill IMO

[Image: caffsighl7.jpg]Â[Image: 1184299259221.gif]
Sig by Joel
rumbot
BRB, Posting

10-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Memory is more in line, don't know many who run 16, let alone 32.

those vid cards look way spendy. for my money, the marginal performance of a second SLI isn't worth it.

keys and mouse are personal preference. you will find posts around here discussing the specifics.

I've never used 7.1 headsets. maybe they are good. maybe not. I still love my $60 grado sr60s (plain old stereo) with an olympus me 52 mic. that will save you like 60 bucks. (make no mistake, grado headphones are great for music and sound reproduction).

you need liquid cooling? gonna do serious overclocking even if you don't know basic bios settings? I've built my own systems since ~1996, and air cooled has always been sufficient.
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

10-21-2013, 11:06 PM

You should also think about what monitor you're getting along with your graphics cards. If you're playing games at 2560x1440 or above, dual (or even triple) GTX 770's might make sense. If you're going with something that's native at 1920x1080 then one 770 should do the trick. I would stick with the Noctua cooler you originally had. It has outstanding acoustic efficiency (if noise is a concern) and the H100i isn't really that great.

If you have some time, browse sites like Tom's Hardware and AnandTech to read up on hardware.

About47Pandas
Lurker

10-22-2013, 12:31 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1...l#11767650

Oh lol

Ill have duel screens, I am not doing the bios, I have someone else that is going to do it and help me start learning that and putting it together, Ill actually be running windows 7

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2013, 12:41 AM by About47Pandas.)
Didzo
Uninstalling

10-22-2013, 12:39 AM

I am sure that there are more effective ways of spending that budget than dropping so much on that processor. I'd go with Hek's advice and use a new intel processor. Forget about water cooling and stick with a good air cooler at this point. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would do the job fine. Buy a good pair of music headphones instead of gimmicky gaming ones. I use Audio Technica M50 headphones. Use a clip on mic, stand mic, or a good webcam mic for voice. Koala and Hek have followed my lead with the Mionix mouse and all three of us have been very happy with it. Get a nice mechanical keyboard. Go for faster RAM, and remember that there is no such thing as too much RAM. It's the easiest way to boost epeen size. I have 8GB of 1800mhz RAM and find myself running out of memory from time to time when I play Planetside 2. Go for 3 monitor setup. Go for high end video cards, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in and it really makes no sense to drop hundreds of dollars for marginal performance gains. I trust WD hard drives more than Seagate and using two 1-1.5TB drives would be a safer bet than a single 2TB data drive.

Also, as far as your case is concerned, go for whatever strikes your fancy. Cooler Master and Antec are resident favorites, but don't be afraid to explore different options based on your aesthetic preferences.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2013, 12:43 AM by Didzo.)
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-22-2013, 12:45 AM

While I am reading and understanding what you are saying Didzo, I do not know the newest processors, or what faster ram is. I was going to get 32Gb of ram, but someone told me it was garb

Its why I went to Tomshardware to ask if someone would whip up that list, cause I dont know exactly what is best.

Now money isnt really an issue, I could drop 5grand, I just want quality. Something that will last me about 5 years before an upgrade. I am moving from playing Xbox and PS3 and I am moving away from consoles.

I work part time and collect a VA medical check. So I just wanna make a beast of a PC because I can. I know 3 grand isnt going to get wtf rocket booster on a PC and I know that I do not need a 3000 dollar computer, but I want to be sure that this computer will not be surpassed by games for awhile.

It would be easier for me lol, if I had a part list to buy.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2013, 02:08 AM by About47Pandas.)
Didzo
Uninstalling

10-22-2013, 03:00 AM

Think of it this way: The smaller the budget is, the more focused the "best possible parts list" will be. We've all done <$1000 builds independently in this forum section and usually, the lists we come up with are very similar because certain components just have better bang for the buck over their counterparts. Going up into $3K and up territory, the whole price vs. performance thing goes out the window and you can have a dozen very powerful beasts that are all quite different from each other. You could just go for a list someone makes for you, but it'll be more rewarding if you use them as starting points and use your own research and preferences to determine the final build.

We'll help you out along the way, but it's not very interesting if you don't have strong opinions on what's going into the build. At least figure out what sort of interface devices would suit you best since you've got to be comfortable when using your monster of a PC.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-22-2013, 03:57 PM

As far as peripherals Ill probably go with

With the my favorite mouse, the G700
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-Rec...b_title_ce

I prefer a keyboard that I can press more then 4 keys at a time. -_- I actually may just buy a keyboard instore so I can feel it, and rub it. Big Grin
so I may stick with the Corsair Vengeance K70 CH-9000019-NA Silver USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823816005

I will probably wait on a headset, I have turtle beaches my ex got me... 4 years ago. still works, had a dog chew on them.... and I wrapped the head rest piece with a tshirt and still good, I may wait for this to die.

webcam for my crazy hair
Logitech C615 HD WebCam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6826104469

KarthXLR
Free of STD's ... lolwut?

10-22-2013, 07:26 PM

Since PC's are upgradeable machines anyways, it doesn't always make sense to get the best of the best. Why get something that's the best now when there will be something better next year for the same ridiculous price? It's nice to splurge, but there needs to be times to look at price vs. performance and understand what's worth the money in the long run.

For example: I put together my build 3 years ago. I overpaid for the graphics card, a lot I might add. But it was one of the best out at the time, and I wanted the best, right? Well, now I can get a card that offers the same performance for almost less than half the price I originally paid, and my card is finally starting to stagger on newer releases. I should've done a little more research and found a card that fit my niche better. Fortunately, my processor, mobo, and RAM are all in good hands for the future.

Try starting from a list like Logical Increments and find a build that fits your price range and how much power you want.

And just a footnote, 32GB of RAM is beyond overkill. The very most you could use in a game is probably 16, and even that is overdoing it. I've got 8GB and I've never used all of it in a game.
About47Pandas
Lurker

10-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Well I just got my government check and Id like to start it buying it this friday,

(10-22-2013, 07:26 PM)Karth link Wrote: For example: I put together my build 3 years ago. I overpaid for the graphics card, a lot I might add. But it was one of the best out at the time, and I wanted the best, right? Well, now I can get a card that offers the same performance for almost less than half the price I originally paid, and my card is finally starting to stagger on newer releases. I should've done a little more research and found a card that fit my niche better. Fortunately, my processor, mobo, and RAM are all in good hands for the future.

And just a footnote, 32GB of RAM is beyond overkill. The very most you could use in a game is probably 16, and even that is overdoing it. I've got 8GB and I've never used all of it in a game.

3 years ago, so your card lasted 3 years. isnt that pretty good?  If you spent 500 or 600 on a card that lasts 3 years, I think most people spend more then that on their car in 3 years. Minus Gas, and just maintaining the car, such as check ups, tires, fluids, spark plugs, gaskets, battery, Insurance.

I can afford 500 to 1000 bucks every 3 years if I HAD to.

Someone said "You can never have to much RAM" O_o

Looking over that link you added, I can afford the 3600 dollar build O_o

HeK
Rotartsinimda

10-22-2013, 09:59 PM

The fun thing about ram is, that right now is when it's the cheapest. If you buy some now, then you'll either have to hope to find a matching pair later on if you want to upgrade, and it will cost more, and you won't have it now.

Since computer platforms move in generations, with little real backwards compatibility for the core components, buy the newest and the best value ( the cost performance trade off hits a silly ratio ), then replace everything when the time comes.

This doesn't apply so much to videocards, as they still improve drastically year after year and the actually have good backwards compat.

I tend to have my PCs last 3-4 years and I replace video cards every 2-3 years.