Hello There, Guest! Register

Musicians and Mixers
Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

12-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Let's have a thread where our resident musicians can talk about our craft, discuss experiences, gear, instruments, software/hardware and all that... jazz.

I know we have people like boney, rummy, nitrous and koala doing this stuff but I'm interested in who else/if anyone else.

to give the thread direction..

I've been playing bass for almost 6 years now (in a band for 5 of them), and because of that wonderful experience I know that music is one thing that I will do for the rest of my life. just recently purchased an electric guitar and as I get the hang of that I enjoy it more and more. I have a computer studio setup that's pretty convenient to record with, multi effects board running into a usb interface and a nice pair of headphones. Been focusing on G major and getting the hang of that.
I'm playing on a Fender Jaguar bass but also have a Peavey millenium something or whatever and a Laguna acoustic/electric bass. The electric is a Jay Turser telecaster.

I'm rather amateur but I've accepted its going to be a long learning process. I'm self taught, though I did attempt Jazz Band my junior year.

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
rumbot
BRB, Posting

12-07-2013, 08:47 AM

this is the extent of my skills

Don't F with Keith Richards

Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

12-07-2013, 09:07 AM

I played violin in the school orchestra in 5th, 6th, 9th, and 10th grades. I also played clarinet (lol) in the school band in 7th grade. I have a bass guitar and an electric guitar that I like to bang around on from time to time, but I've never played in a band. I don't really consider myself a musician since I can't really jam or anything, but I do like playing music from time to time. My guitars are both noob guitars, my bass is an Ibanez GSR 200 and my guitar is a Harmony strat clone that I inherited from an old roommate.
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

12-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Degree'd percussionist here.

I am currently developing my own private lessons studio. I teach two schools and have 8 private students. It's good fun and I'm glad I'm not a band director..buh.

If any of you have questions about drums/percussion.. just holla.

Duck, Duck, Goose

12-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Well, my mom plays piano and my dad played guitar (not sure if he still does since he gave me his guitar). I've learned some basic level of both. A few years back, when dubstep was first creeping into the mainstream, one of my buddies suggested that we learn how to produce. I've spent the last 3 years learning my way around FL Studio, even took a couple college classes in Digital Audio Production.

Nitrous Oxyde - Acid Waves

That was the first track I ever completed.

Aaaand here's a link to my more recent/better quality stuff.
http://soundcloud.com/catalprod
spm201
Lurker

12-07-2013, 03:17 PM

I play the flute, trumpet, french horn, euphonium, piano, vocal bass, and to a lesser degree, trombone, penny whistle, guitar and viola. I started ten years ago on the flute, and most recently started singing about 3 years ago. Now I play and sing professionally around the Phoenix area, and I have an Associate of the Arts with a focus in Music Education. So yeah, if you have music questions...
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2013, 03:20 PM by spm201.)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

12-07-2013, 05:23 PM

I wish I played an instrument and really want to properly learn to play the drums.

If there's enough musicians here I propose you do a collaboration project!

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
spm201
Lurker

12-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Never too late to learn!
kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

12-07-2013, 06:14 PM

I'm a professional kazooist about to release an album titled 'Jessikazoo'. Please look forward to it.

Aside from spending my nights serenading the neighbors with my kazoo, I also played the violin (for too many years let's not think about it), acoustic/electric guitars, my heart will go on on the recorder, and the piano. I also had a taste of the tenor sax and I want more.

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

12-07-2013, 10:43 PM

Awesome, I'm glad to see there's a few more people than I thought and even orchestral players.

That's hilarous rummy. I really am interested in how long you've been doing your thing for.

I was so tired when I put this up I forgot we also have that awesome soundcloud embed feature. I'll probably use that to share some things if I ever make something that doesn't suck

'Meditation is supposedly the only way to Enlightenment because the only way to find this truth is through inner reflection - therefore, what you are finding to be the truth in your personal journey should ultimately be exactly what I find to be the truth, though all of our journeys are unique.'
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

12-08-2013, 01:27 AM

(12-07-2013, 05:23 PM)FlyingMongoose link Wrote: I wish I played an instrument and really want to properly learn to play the drums.

It's never too late, amigo.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/percus...rumset.php

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/t...methods-cd

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/R...et-methods

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

12-08-2013, 02:28 AM

(12-08-2013, 01:27 AM)cbre88x link Wrote: [quote author=FlyingMongoose link=topic=7147.msg274204#msg274204 date=1386455002]
I wish I played an instrument and really want to properly learn to play the drums.

It's never too late, amigo.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/percus...rumset.php

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/t...methods-cd

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/R...et-methods
[/quote]

Thanks for the references... I'm considering an electronic kit, as I don't have a lot of space. Good enough samples it can sound as god as the real thing... especially really good ones.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-08-2013, 03:28 AM

I played a recorder in 5th grade.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
k0ala
BRB, Posting

12-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the shout. I played cello through middle school and high school, and picked up the guitar a few years ago. Learning from a video game for now, and waiting on lessons until I have my next guitar made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

[Image: i9pkpXG.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2013, 01:28 PM by k0ala.)
rumbot
BRB, Posting

12-08-2013, 02:28 PM

(12-07-2013, 10:43 PM)Dr. Zaius link Wrote: That's hilarous rummy. I really am interested in how long you've been doing your thing for.

My grandmom was a guitar player. Played in bars, worked in a music shop, taught lessons.

I tried to learn as a teen and quit after a month.

I tried to teach myself some 10 years after that and quit after a month.

When I finally finished formal education, I did nothing after work for 8 months but watch TV and play video games. In month 9, I got bored and decided to try guitar again. By this point, there was youtube lessons and tab sites. That was 6 years ago, and I've stuck with it and played at least once a week since, often every day.

I'm terrible though, all self-trained, I intentionally ignore music theory and keys and thirds and fifths and all that stuff I don't know. I barely know the notes of the frets on the low e-string. Half the time I see an arrangement using seveths or even sometimes open chords and I'm like "Fuck it, I'm playing this with power chords." Keef was fucking brilliant in focusing on open tunings, it's the easiest way to play when smashed.

But it don't matter, because I'm a bedroom player and I play for me because I've listened to rock and fucking roll all my life and to be able to play along with all my favorite songs gives me a huge boner errrytime. The Stones, The Who, The White Stripes, The Black Keys.

I do fux around with some effects, whammy, distortion, echo, wah. 2 years ago I realized that the bass strings are the same so I got a bass and pluck on that too.

The first, and only, guitar I paid cash for is an Epi LP Junior for 99$ from amazon with a cheapo 10w practice amp. This past year I decided it was time to mod it up, so carved the body open to drop in a kahler whammy bridge and a duncan antiquity bridge humbucker.

As gramma was a player, I am the inheritor to her collection. So far, I got her '62 Gibson Melody Maker 3/4 scale  like this and probably a '64 Venture clone of Gibson ES-175 like this. She still has Fender Mustang and Gibson ES-120T that I'm dying for, along with a fender twin (all from the 60s, brah). Also got a Millenia which was a tiny startup that sourced the round back acoustic parts from the same manufacturer Gibson did until Gibson sued them out of existence. That was free too, company was bartering guitars for services during their launch.  

She did give me a Gibson Ranger amp from like 62 that's awesome, but I still need to get it wired for ground because it shocks me so often I am sure it plans to kill me.

I do plan to buy one more guitar at some point, a tele. I'm strongly considering making one from parts (unfinished wood and all) just to try to re-create Micawber just because a) I always like keeping one axe in open G b.) making my own I could go 5 string and c) if I got a finished tele anyway I'd still mod it to be like Keef, so it's cheaper to build my own plus I will learn more, which is almost as fun as playing.

I have had moments of inspiration when playing when I hit a groove or a riff that sounds cool and unique, and I've recorded about 80 or so such sketches. Mostly because they are so fleeting if I don't save them I will forget them in a week, though I'm not sure I will ever do anything with them. I don't really play them for anyone, with the exceptions of when I've been drunk and trying to get in a girls pants.

tl:dr. I'm not a musician. I'm not even a guitarist. I'm a guy who plays around with guitar, so if that fits your loose definition of guitar-player, then maybe. Mostly I'm just a guy who loves the sound of electric fuzztones so much I felt compelled by the call of the siren to make my own.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM by rumbot.)
k0ala
BRB, Posting

12-08-2013, 05:48 PM

I followed Zaius's link to his Presonus AudioBox, and it sounds like a good deal. I'm looking forward to purchasing an XLR-to-USB interface in a few months, and it's down to either the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the Presonus AudioBox. The more forum threads I read about comparisons between the two, the more confused I get.

Dr. Zaius
Uninstalling

12-08-2013, 09:27 PM

(12-08-2013, 05:48 PM)k0ala link Wrote: I followed Zaius's link to his Presonus AudioBox, and it sounds like a good deal. I'm looking forward to purchasing an XLR-to-USB interface in a few months, and it's down to either the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the Presonus AudioBox. The more forum threads I read about comparisons between the two, the more confused I get.

I really love this thing. Friends of mine recommended getting the m-audio interface, but I happened across this one while I was in Minneapolis and couldn't pass it up. Came with Studio One software, which I now use as a replacement for audacity. The quality of the recording is as good as I could ever ask for. Honestly I think that most any usb interface would give this sort of quality since it's just a matter of competing brands, but I can definitely vouch for this one being spiffy as h*ck. And of course it's great to sit down with some nice headphones and get really high and leave reality for a few hours.

(12-08-2013, 02:28 PM)rumbot link Wrote: As gramma was a player, I am the inheritor to her collection. So far, I got her '62 Gibson Melody Maker 3/4 scale  like this and probably a '64 Venture clone of Gibson ES-175 like this. She still has Fender Mustang and Gibson ES-120T that I'm dying for, along with a fender twin (all from the 60s, brah). Also got a Millenia which was a tiny startup that sourced the round back acoustic parts from the same manufacturer Gibson did until Gibson sued them out of existence. That was free too, company was bartering guitars for services during their launch.  

She did give me a Gibson Ranger amp from like 62 that's awesome, but I still need to get it wired for ground because it shocks me so often I am sure it plans to kill me.
very jealous

(12-08-2013, 02:28 PM)rumbot link Wrote: I have had moments of inspiration when playing when I hit a groove or a riff that sounds cool and unique, and I've recorded about 80 or so such sketches. Mostly because they are so fleeting if I don't save them I will forget them in a week, though I'm not sure I will ever do anything with them. I don't really play them for anyone, with the exceptions of when I've been drunk and trying to get in a girls pants.

I do exactly this. the software i use makes it so easy to just record and then go back and snip out the good stuff to save and study later. I put some of it onto a soundcloud mainly to send to my best bud over in Montana that I was in a band with. He came out here to visit this past July for the first time since we both moved outta the Illinois burbs a couple summers ago and we recorded a ton of stuff that weekend. I arranged some of the best parts of all those recordings into a 10 minute thing to kinda show around as a "hey this is what me and my best friend do".

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/aaro-n-eumann/b-sample[/soundcloud]

There was a small amount of peaking somewhere a few minutes in, but the rest of it came out very well by my standards. Each of the tracks was one-take, I'm on bass and my friend is on guitar. Drum tracks came from hydrogen and were used to record live

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2013, 10:13 PM by Dr. Zaius.)
k0ala
BRB, Posting

12-12-2013, 12:48 PM

my twitch channel is getting watchers, Generic Name came by and said we needed to warm up more and practice the tracks we're going to play before hitting "Start Stream". We've just been picking stuff that sounds cool off the Rocksmith playlist, eventually once we go back to our favorite ones we'll rack up the plays.

kaese
Accepts Non-Virgin Goat Sacrifices

12-14-2013, 07:38 PM

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kasetoast/o-holy-night[/soundcloud]

The latest track from my album: Jessikazoo: Holiday Special

[Image: 46qrx2X.gif]
ask me about mpreg
Duck, Duck, Goose

02-05-2014, 05:15 PM

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/catalprod/wonder-remix[/soundcloud]

Bumping this with my latest remix. Worked pretty hard on this, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Basically, Adventure Club are my favorite producers and have been a huge inspiration to me. When I saw they were having a remix comp for one of their tracks, I couldn't resist. My remix is what I like to call "chillstep", dubstep without the more overpowering/grimy electro sounds (so more liquid/deep). Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd love to hear what you have to think.

In case you want to hear the original: http://soundcloud.com/adventureclub/wond...ite-string

And if you really like it and don't mind helping me out at the expense of liking a few pages on Facebook, you can vote for it in the competition here: http://wavo.me/pulses/9771368753010000 Wink