Hello There, Guest! Register

New Car Advice/Suggestions
Trace
Killing anything that twitches

12-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Contemplating trading in my Corolla for something new. I've been looking for something sub 30k that's a bit more sporty than what I drive now. Currently considering Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ and the Honda Accord Coupe.

I like the exterior styling of the FR-S/BRZ but the interior of the Honda is way nicer for the price, and considering that the new car will be my daily driver, interior quality should be taken into consideration.
Anyone have other car suggestions or experience with either of these cars?
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Not hard to get sportier than a Corolla....

FRS/BRZ should be fine as a daily driver, but keep in mind that it's a small car with an engine that needs to be thrashed if you want speed out of it.

The Honda is a solid car with good looks and a 6 cylinder engine. Plenty of power and sporty character, but it's not a lightweight sports car.

Check out the Subaru WRX and its variants as well. The 2014 model should be out early next year and be right on the money. Ask Hek for more details on why these things are pretty sweet.

I recommend the Golf GTI. You get a combination of sportiness, refinement, and practicality that is really hard to match, especially at this price point. There should be some awesome deals on 2013 models too. The VW diesel offerings are worth considering as well, though they aren't super sporty.

You might be interested in a Hyundai Genesis Coupe also. I think of it as a Korean take on the Mustang.

[Image: 2mxisdj.jpg]
[Image: snailLeonidasgo50.gif]
Mission Difficult
BRB, Posting

12-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Always...

Saudis in Audis

Didzo
Uninstalling

12-12-2013, 03:19 PM

You might also be interested in something smaller and more fuel efficient with a good fun factor as well.

Mini Cooper S is zippy fun with a stick shift. Styling is subjective.

Give the Honda CR-Z with a 6 speed a look too. It's a car that doesn't make much sense on paper and could use use more power, but it's like driving a space go cart. Feels way faster than it actually is due to instant torque from the electric motor coupled with a rev happy gas engine. You can always drop in a turbo or supercharger if power feels lacking.

FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

12-12-2013, 04:06 PM

(12-12-2013, 03:19 PM)Didzo link Wrote: You might also be interested in something smaller and more fuel efficient with a good fun factor as well.

Mini Cooper S is zippy fun with a stick shift. Styling is subjective.

Give the Honda CR-Z with a 6 speed a look too. It's a car that doesn't make much sense on paper and could use use more power, but it's like driving a space go cart. Feels way faster than it actually is due to instant torque from the electric motor coupled with a rev happy gas engine. You can always drop in a turbo or supercharger if power feels lacking.

Doesn't the mini cooper S (Sport) have a 4 inch clearance? Or have they changed that? The reason I ask is my cousin's friend's dad in Parker, Colorado got one, Parker is a pre-planned community where ALL curbs, including driveways, were 6 inches. So every time they went anywhere they had to park on the street, what's even better is, it's illegal to park on the street in most parts of Parker.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-12-2013, 06:11 PM

You cannot really compare a BRZ to an Accord.

The BRZ is an engineered sports car with an extreme focus on handling. You will sacrifice comfort and usability for the best platform to go around corners in.
There is basically no backseat, it's small, stiff and noisy. There is zero point to the car unless you get it with the six speed manual. Aftermarket support is fantastic and it becomes a complete monster with turbo and supercharger kits.

The Accord coupe is a sporty take on a boring family sedan. It's a little expensive for what it is, heavy, and a pig in the turns.
It is however, very reliable, comfortable, usable and attractive. The HFP model is stupid.

If you are not concerned about under-steer or care about FF vs FR platforms, go with the Accord in that match up.

The new, or even the older WRX is a fun option. The hatch (discontinued for 2015) is a great mesh of function and fun. Don't expect a great interior, it's pretty bad and it gets loose and noisy. Very noisy.
The 2015 WRX, yet to be released, is a brand new platform. The fourth generation. Brand new engine with direct injection, new transmission options, focus on fit and finish. No idea how it really performs yet. If the new engine is anything like the FA20 from the BRZ, it will be a tuning monster.

Ignore anything Mini or hybrid. These are silly things.
rumbot
BRB, Posting

12-12-2013, 07:22 PM

HeK and Didzo have this way covered, though I might disagree aboot some of their finer points.

If you are serious about wanting something more sporty, the absolute first issue of order is to determine what sort of drivetrain you want: Front, rear, or all-wheel drive. To me, this depends on a great degree where you live: the further south the more RWD becomes a viable option to AWD.

All other recommendations flow from that perspective.

If you've not driven all 3... then go play with a car in all three categories. It's better if you can beat on a friends's whip, but don't be shy about abusing a test ride if you have the dosh to buy it.

In terms of the fun balance of performance/handling in everyday driving

FWD: nearly any smaller VW or Mini will beat nearly any Honda or Toyota (1), though the latter are viable and fun

RWD: FRS/BRZ or 1-series BMW will beat nearly any mustang or camaro, though the latter are viable and fun

AWD: the WRX will beat nearly anything anyone else has in that price range. The Audi A3/A4 with quattro are nicer inside and out, but front heavy.

(1) yes, HeK, I would argue the cornering and road feel of a mini cooper S far outshines the meager performance of the engine. It's a fucking go-cart and goes where-ever you point it. That said, I do prefer the ability of a RWD or AWD to break away the ass when needed.
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-12-2013, 08:34 PM

(12-12-2013, 07:22 PM)rumbot link Wrote: (1) yes, HeK, I would argue the cornering and road feel of a mini cooper S far outshines the meager performance of the engine. It's a fucking go-cart and goes where-ever you point it. That said, I do prefer the ability of a RWD or AWD to break away the ass when needed.

Hate to pull a Consumer Reports, but when you factor in price, even on used, there are better options.
rumbot
BRB, Posting

12-12-2013, 09:12 PM

I am happy to concede the mini never wins on price. or acceleration. or top line. or modding. or repairability.

But the design, in and out, and fit and finish, are sweet, and it's a hoot to corner with.

Speaking of, I completely neglected to mention the Miata. Bad me.
Didzo
Uninstalling

12-12-2013, 09:23 PM

(12-12-2013, 08:34 PM)HeK link Wrote: [quote author=rumbot link=topic=7159.msg274436#msg274436 date=1386894152]
(1) yes, HeK, I would argue the cornering and road feel of a mini cooper S far outshines the meager performance of the engine. It's a fucking go-cart and goes where-ever you point it. That said, I do prefer the ability of a RWD or AWD to break away the ass when needed.

Hate to pull a Consumer Reports, but when you factor in price, even on used, there are better options.
[/quote]

Part of buying a car is how you feel sitting in it and driving it, so silly things such as Mini Coopers or CR-Z "sporty hybrids" should not be taken off the table completely unless if there are better products delivering almost the same driving experience or if there are serious safety or reliability concerns.

For new cars under $30K, there's a limited number of options for RWD vehicles. Going from a Corolla, I doubt the tail swinging ease of RWD will be something that will be missed transitioning from a mind-numbingly boring FWD to one with some handling prowess and pep. Some FWD cars can be prodded into sticking their butts out in corners with practice anyway.

Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

12-12-2013, 09:51 PM

[Image: BGN00336B_667miles.JPG]

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
rumbot
BRB, Posting

12-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Buick's answer to the M-5, in all her glory
HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Oh hey, take a look at the Ford Focus ST.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dtrain323i
Oprah Winfrey

12-13-2013, 09:32 PM

(12-13-2013, 08:13 PM)HeK link Wrote: Oh hey, take a look at the Ford Focus ST.

This. The ST is sweet.

And Rummy, the grand national is probably one of the few american cars I'd ever buy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

11:35 Socks Greatbacon_work: Just accept the idea of enemas.
Trace
Killing anything that twitches

12-13-2013, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think it's time to schedule some test drives, and go from there.
cbre88x
Seabreeze: That Damn Sniper

12-15-2013, 01:27 AM

(12-12-2013, 09:51 PM)Dtrain323i link Wrote: [Image: BGN00336B_667miles.JPG]

Those aren't 22"s

HeK
Rotartsinimda

12-19-2013, 05:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBZX7ZAW...ata_player

rumbot
BRB, Posting