Hello There, Guest! Register

Tabletop RPGs Online
The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

12-10-2015, 01:35 PM

(11-23-2015, 10:55 AM)FlyingMongoose Wrote: I have no experience GMing anything but Fantasy AGE (which is pretty much the same as Dragon Age RPG). But I'll play anything. The problem is, if we want to interest people who have NEVER played Pen & Paper, a smaller, less complex system, would be ideal.
Which means anything in the D&D mantra is out, including 5th and pathfinder.
It leaves only a few options one of them being the AGE system, there's also a couple of others I heard of but I have to look them up.
Have you looked at 5th edition?  it is not that complex.  I think its wonderful for new and old players.  If you are dealing with new players, you need to understand that and adapt your way to that.  Be patient, and let them have fun.  Just because you only have experience in one Tabletop RPG system doesnt mean that other, more complex looking, systems are a poor choice.  Its the reason why I take notes to quickly remind me what something does if I dont think I'll remember it.  I've played 3.5, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Fantasy Age, and Champions (Hero System).  I have found that the more freedom the game allows, the more difficult it is for new tabletop players to pick up on it.  Hell, I am actually going to be DMing a 5E module for some friends of mine and only one of them has actually played 5E before, and one has barely any experience playing tabletop games at all.

Does a system like DnD seem intimidating and rule cumbersome?  It can look that way, but looks can be deceiving.  Hell, the $20 (USD) D&D starter Kit  is a fantastic way to introduce new players to the game.  It contains two sets of dice, character sheets, a quick-start rule-book(for both the dm and players), and an adventure to take players from level 1-5. The adventure it contains accounts for common decisions that players could make, and gives the DM tips on what to do and how to entice the players in the right direction, constantly reminding the DM that the players tell the story, the DM makes the setting.  It even comes with pregenerated characters  for people to hop in and get involved.  

I find that if you ask around for interest, those that seem like they are on the fence just need the reassurance that you will help them.  Which means being patient, explaining the rules as simply as possible, and getting them involved in the story.    When it comes down to it, DnD really just comes down to how much you add or subtract from a dice roll. If you don't have a lot of experience as a GM, let them know ahead of time.  If you want players to be in character a lot of the time, let them know, but dont get angry if they slip up.  If you want the story to be on a bit of a railroad, let the players know ahead of time.  No matter what system you are playing, the players are playing to have fun.

Anyway, if the one shot goes well this Friday I will probably try to use roll20 to try to run a similar thing for brbuers interested in playing, so contact me if interested so we can figure out what time works well.  Yes its 5E, and I will probably only ask for 3 min-5 max.  I'm more than willing to help with character building too.  And I have the books available to send out if needed.

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]
3DS Friend Code: 4098-3295-0639
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2015, 01:42 PM by The Generic Name.)
FlyingMongoose
Uninstalling

12-10-2015, 02:50 PM

I HAVE heard Fifth Edition is a lot more approachable, and that's great, glad D&D is getting to that point, and I heard Pathfinder was more approachable compared to past D&D systems too.

But I think people may have misunderstood me. I have no qualms against utilizing a different system if I run one. But right now I'm actively running one under FAGE, I don't want to let my mind get confused if I were to run another under a different system. I just have found (over many years of attempting) that D&D doesn't "feel" as accessible compared to a few others just because it does seem a bit cumbersome (30+ years worth of books can seem daunting, though I'm aware all that players really need is a player manual & maybe a setting guide and/or manual [in case there are setting specific classes or modifications]).

FAGE just crams it all into one book really. Though does use the Adventure Game Engine (Same as Dragon Age RPG), which is nice, because you can find some AGE based beastiaries and races and backgrounds which are cool to use. But not required, build whatever you'd like really. It also has some good "first time campaign writer" information in the main book for GMs, the GM Guide for D&D can definitely seem daunting.

If you're running one use whatever system you'd like, but I need a significant notification in advance of schedule and weekends are pretty much always out for me.

If you do use Roll20 as a GM (which I have), there's extra character sheets pre-built if you do the premium thing. Otherwise it might make everyone's lives easier to just use pre-built Character Sheet systems that are available with Roll20 anyway (they're actually pretty nice to use). Also, premium is really only useful if you intend to GM, your players may get ads and you won't, but anyone in your game has access to whatever character sheet system you provide on Roll20, as well as the visuals you provide as well, if you intend to use them.

And in personal experience Roll20 + Google Hangouts works better than Roll20 embedded.

Anyway, Generic, check your PMs here.

[Image: b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2015, 02:56 PM by FlyingMongoose.)
Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

12-10-2015, 05:25 PM

I'd be interested in playing. Could be fun

Quote:“Would you…do you think you would like to go to the dance with me?” she asked sportsball captainback.

Quote:sportsball captainback

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Evil Cheese
Sad Keeanu

12-14-2015, 09:30 PM

(12-10-2015, 01:35 PM)The Generic Name Wrote:
(11-23-2015, 10:55 AM)FlyingMongoose Wrote: I have no experience GMing anything but Fantasy AGE (which is pretty much the same as Dragon Age RPG). But I'll play anything. The problem is, if we want to interest people who have NEVER played Pen & Paper, a smaller, less complex system, would be ideal.
Which means anything in the D&D mantra is out, including 5th and pathfinder.
It leaves only a few options one of them being the AGE system, there's also a couple of others I heard of but I have to look them up.
Have you looked at 5th edition?  it is not that complex.  I think its wonderful for new and old players.  If you are dealing with new players, you need to understand that and adapt your way to that.  Be patient, and let them have fun.  Just because you only have experience in one Tabletop RPG system doesnt mean that other, more complex looking, systems are a poor choice.  Its the reason why I take notes to quickly remind me what something does if I dont think I'll remember it.  I've played 3.5, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Fantasy Age, and Champions (Hero System).  I have found that the more freedom the game allows, the more difficult it is for new tabletop players to pick up on it.  Hell, I am actually going to be DMing a 5E module for some friends of mine and only one of them has actually played 5E before, and one has barely any experience playing tabletop games at all.

Does a system like DnD seem intimidating and rule cumbersome?  It can look that way, but looks can be deceiving.  Hell, the $20 (USD) D&D starter Kit  is a fantastic way to introduce new players to the game.  It contains two sets of dice, character sheets, a quick-start rule-book(for both the dm and players), and an adventure to take players from level 1-5. The adventure it contains accounts for common decisions that players could make, and gives the DM tips on what to do and how to entice the players in the right direction, constantly reminding the DM that the players tell the story, the DM makes the setting.  It even comes with pregenerated characters  for people to hop in and get involved.  

I find that if you ask around for interest, those that seem like they are on the fence just need the reassurance that you will help them.  Which means being patient, explaining the rules as simply as possible, and getting them involved in the story.    When it comes down to it, DnD really just comes down to how much you add or subtract from a dice roll. If you don't have a lot of experience as a GM, let them know ahead of time.  If you want players to be in character a lot of the time, let them know, but dont get angry if they slip up.  If you want the story to be on a bit of a railroad, let the players know ahead of time.  No matter what system you are playing, the players are playing to have fun.

Anyway, if the one shot goes well this Friday I will probably try to use roll20 to try to run a similar thing for brbuers interested in playing, so contact me if interested so we can figure out what time works well.  Yes its 5E, and I will probably only ask for 3 min-5 max.  I'm more than willing to help with character building too.  And I have the books available to send out if needed.

I'm down for a tabletop night if you're planning to run one. I'm a DND noob though.
The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

02-29-2016, 02:14 PM

I think I am going to run some Ravenloft before I take it to Luin's party for recording just so I can get comfortable with the adventure, so if you want in let me know, first 6 that do I will set something up.  Thursday nights are usually my best nights as nothing is going on then.  Hit me up on Groupme, PM me here, or message me on Facebook if you want in.  Again, I  am cutting it off at 6, because after that, it starts getting difficult to manage and combat will take fucking forever.

The Generic Name
BRB, Posting

03-18-2016, 02:49 PM

Would anyone be willing to help me pay for a monthly subscription to roll20 for a Pro account?  I'm am financially in the shitter atm  and would really appreciate it.  The Pro-account lets me use past character sheets  (like the ones for DND.u), api stuff, no oading times, and lets me upload stuff so that i can run more games.  I feel like a shitlord asking for help with this financially, but I dont have a full time job that makes more than $10 an hour right now.

Luinbariel
Snailcat ..@:3

03-18-2016, 05:32 PM

I'd be willing to help put in. Between all of us that you DM for, I'm sure we could chip in a few bucks, or take turns paying it.

Quote:“Would you…do you think you would like to go to the dance with me?” she asked sportsball captainback.

Quote:sportsball captainback

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻